“Book early for engaging tour”
Review of Nola Tour Guy

Nola Tour Guy
Ranked #56 of 233 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At NOLA TOUR GUY all our tours are free. How can we do this? We are so sure you will enjoy our historic walking tours that you will gladly and generously tip our guides. It’s the best guarantee in the business. Nola Tour Guy offers no novelty "ghost" or "vampire" tours, only the real history brought to life by our passionate guides. Join us, you won’t be disappointed.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I wasn’t sure what to expect from a “free” tour—but Dave proved to be professional, prompt, engaging, and informative. During the generous two-hour ramble through the French Quarter, Dave revealed four centuries of layered New Orleans’ history: Everything from “Romeo spikes,” to the U.S. pardon of Pirate Jean Lafitte, to the rebellious heiress who fashioned her monogram in iron lace. My recommendation? Book this tour early in your visit: You’ll amaze others with fascinating facts for the rest of your stay.

2  Thank KellyH101

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Dave did a very nice tour for me and my husband of the Garden District. It was raining and initially Dave wasn't sure we would want to do the tour in the rain, but when he heard it was our last day in NO and that the rain didn't bother us, he was more than willing to do the tour, even though it was just us. Dave hadn't done the garden district walking tour in awhile (sounds like he does the French Quarter more often b/c of demand), so he acknowledged that he was a little rusty, but once he got into it, he shared a plethora of knowledge. He knows a lot about New Orleans and knew a lot about the Garden District and the cemetery. You could tell he is a history buff! I had done a cemetery tour on my last visit and I learned way more from Dave than from that tour. Additionally, Dave not only took us by all the usual "famous" houses that the other tours advertise, but he also took us by some of his favorite homes and told us many interesting architectural, historical, and social facts about them. We really enjoyed ourselves and appreciated that he made the extra effort in the rain for us. Try him out, you won't be disappointed. If we ever make it back to New Orleans, we will do his French Quarter tour.

2  Thank MKS_MKS
Reviewed October 7, 2012

good tour - enthusiastic - but nothing above and beyond what a VG tour guide should be doing - a little long towards the end --- does his job, like i said, since i never did a different tour in N.O. i have nothing to compare to --- seems like he will customize tours for small groups/couples which is nice

1  Thank joisey-joe
nolatourguy, Owner at Nola Tour Guy, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thanks for joining me on my Tour of The French Quarter. As I mention in my introduction I am a history major. I approach my tours from a historical perspective. Most Tour Guides approach it from a theatrical direction, relaying on costumes and silly voices that I feel are insulting to the intelligence of most tourists desiring a Historical tour. That said I don't think history should be dull, I have a sense of humor and I make it my life's goal to explain to tourists why New Orleans is such a special place. My French Quarter Tour is roughly two hour and we visit a lot of places off the "beaten path" so this can take a little longer but I do think it would be impossible to share all the important history in anything less the 2 hours.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Most history tours I have been on seem to drag by, and even though I try my hardest to pay attention, I can never seem to stay focused. Dave is the only tour guy to keep my full attention throughout the entire tour (which lasted a couple of hours); always keeping up a conversation, cracking jokes, and answering questions. I had heard and read much about New Orleans before taking this tour, but Dave definitely made walking around the French Quarter a new, interesting, and fun experience. I saw that someone had written about his tour being "disappointing," and in my opinion, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I highly recommend going on a tour with Dave; don't waste your money on people who don't know their stuff and talk in funny voices. NOLA tour guy may have a funny voice, but you can tell from the moment you meet him that he's the most genuine, smart, and creative tour guide in New Orleans.

4  Thank IvyA100
Reviewed September 9, 2012

New Orleans is a town based on tourism and busking. Everything is a sell and if you go there without knowing anyone, it's easy to get lured into buying crap and drinking overpriced sugar water in a plastic grenade. I went to a restaurant in the French quarter that is described all over the internet as the best and most authentic cusine. The place was packed. Big surprise: the food was terrible
I wanted to go on a tour with someone who was knowledgable, but also interesting and wouldn't charge me $30 while they read from a pamphlet. I'd heard good things about Nola Tour Guy through a friend and it's free so there's not much to lose. Dave did not disappoint! Funny, approachable, and informative, it feels like you are visting a friend who also happens to be a history buff. Not only that, he gave great suggestions of other places to see, things to do, and places to eat. It's the kind of tour you really want. In a city based on catering to out of towners, it can be hard to navigate what's good and what's a good sell. Dave knows the difference, and I highly recommend him for those looking for more than getting plastered outside on Bourbon street. Also, tip him well, he clearly needs new shoes.

6  Thank Sarah H