“Nice hotel within walking distance of The French Quarter.”

Loews New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #12 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City
“Nice hotel within walking distance of The French Quarter.”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Loews was selected by a family as a place to stay for out of town wedding guests. The service was great and the staff pleasant and helpful, especially the concierges. It is a 10 to 15 minute leisurely and safe walk to the French Quarter from the hotel. The hotel has a large and well lit exercise room and pool. Very nice. We did not dine at the hotel but service in the busy bar was excellent and the waitstaff were very interactive with guests. The rooms were adequate; the bed comfortable; the bathroom clean and well provisioned. While this is a fine hotel it is not in a particularily scenic area of New Orleans, but that was not an issue for us. One final note: do review your bill. We were mistakenly charged $100 for valet parking though we didn't have a car. Management promptly reversed the charges.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed October 8, 2009

As the weather was cooling off in NC, it was still very much summertime in New Orleans. We selected Loews because of its close proximity to the French Quarter and The Riverwalk. Before traveling to New Orleans, I called the hotel concierge for dining advice and she made reservations for us and had the details ready for us when we arrived. She even got a last minute reservation at Emerils where a month's notice is the standard. The staff was eager to take care of us and offered excellent suggestions for sightseeing and directions. We thought the room was a bit small when we arrived, but with so much to do in NOLA, we didn't think about it again the entire trip!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Me, my husband and 3 other couples stayed here for the weekend. When we arrived, the valet opened our doors, and offered to take our bags. They were very prompt in giving us a valet ticket and we went inside to check in. Some of the couples upgraded to a bigger room for like $20. Check-in was quick and easy. Once we got to our room, it was nice and clean. We requested a King bed but got two queens. We had a great view of the river and our room rate was really good so we stayed w/ the two queens. We met the other couples downstairs at the Swizzle Stick Bar, which is known for making a damn strong drink. They won't short you on the vodka!!

Anyways, the Seafood Festival was going on a 1/2 block away by Earnst Cafe so we went and ate the Grand Isle restaurant right next to Earnst and then people watched for a little bit outside. The next morning, was when I noticed that the TV was not a very good TV. They should update the TVs to match the rest of the comtemporary room. It was hard to watch some critical football games on that TV. I ordered breakfast from Cafe Adelaide, and it was delivered within 20 minutes. My husband went downstairs and ate from the Cafe Adelaide breakfast buffet for $20 less. For lunch we walked back to the Seafood Festival and tried some of the dishes the local restaurants were serving.

You can walk to the quarter if you want, but you will have to cross both Poydras and Canal, which can be a risky walk at night. The hotel is in a great location with the Casino being a block or so away, then there is almost always something going on around Earnst Cafe (a festival or street party of some sort), plus it's an easy walk to Saks.

Overall, the hotel was really nice and the staff was very classy. There was even a jazz singer nightly in the lobby. The view of the river from our room (#1901) was perfect! They also allow pets. When it came time to check out, the valet retrieved our car in about 30 minutes, but that gave us time to walk to Lil Dizzy's for a quick sunday brunch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Mississippi
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Looked forward to stay here for long time and wasn't as great as I thought it would be although still nice.
Ate at the Swizzle Stick bar off the kids menu - was very impressed. LOTS of food. Plenty for adults too and decent priced. The restaurant was more pricey so didn't eat there.
Pool and fitness area were nice.
Room was okay but enjoyed the- FREE to borrow- movies at the hotel across the street more.
Also, had to pay around $28.00 per day to park

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
basking ridge ny
Reviewed August 24, 2009

i do not want to down play Loews...but we have stayed here many times and if seems as if the fine tuning we really enjoyed has gone downhilll, and maybe it is just the hard economic times.

Our check in was smooth and the valet service still great. At check in I asked about the internet and was told the cost was 12.95 a day. I did need to use it immediately... so after checking in I did the payment and completed my business. We then decided to have a drink in the lobby. It is a great lobby and bar location. I noticed about 10 people on laptops..so I asked someone about it and they told me the internet is free in the lobby. Thank you Loews staff for sharing that with me.

I got up the next am around 7 am and head out of the room as not to wake my husband and daughter. I head down to the lobby for coffee which has always been set up on the bar with to go cups..only to find no cups. I ask the desk host at Cafe Adelaide and am told no the coffee is no longer complimentary as they now have cofffee makers in the room. I understand to a degree, but if you are the early riser and try not to wake others coffee is near impossible to make. He gave me attitude but said I could have it this one time...I had no cash on me.

The next morning I got up early again and did have the cash...the same host was rude and said the coffee is two dollars and pay me first. Nice first thing in the am.

On our final morning...we are leaving for the airport by 7 am...at around 6 I turn in the mini bar key and ask for a copy of the new york times and am told they are already all gone. I said it is only 6 am . I am then told you need to ask for it in advance. Once again thanks for the heads ups Loews.

All in all the finer touches seem to be gone...I still love the Hotel juse wish they seemed to love thier customers. too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carol_a_2004
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Great location - we walked everywhere including the French Market and Frenchman St which are on the east end of the French Quarter. Twice we had to ask for items usually restocked - wash clothes and coffee but we got a great deal at hotels.com $84 with an extra $29 for parking. Everyone charges extra for parking and street parking is hard to find. We had a huge room that overlooked the city. Watch out for the amenities in your room - everything is very pricey. Staff was very friendly and all were willing to help with suggestions on what to do and where to eat. Julio was our fav - always smiling and called us by name. Take an umbrella and carry it with you even if the skies are clear - it will rain! GO TO Preservation Hall and Mardi Gras World (It's NOT at Algiers Point any more, go to the info booth at the end of Canal St to get shuttle) Streetcars (not trolleys!) are great but not reliable transportation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theadolphs
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Hello all!

Let me start out by saying that my family and I took (are currently taking) a road trip from Colorado Springs through Kansas City, Nashville, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, SC, New Orleans, Dallas then back home. One big two week long road tip!!!

Anyhow, our stay in New Orleans started out with us pulling up to The Loews’ Hotel. We were immediately impressed by the valet that approached our car. He informed us that it would be $30 to have our vehicle valet but, it would be securely parked underneath the hotel in a safe location. The other option would be to park in the adjacent lot for about $20; we opted to pay the $30. I won’t boar you with extreme details about our stay but, I will list the very positive portions of staying here.

1. 1st class service
2. Easy and fast check-in
3. Luxurious hotel with amenities (pool, spa, gym, business center, internet, bar, ATM…etc) for a VERY reasonable price
4. Spacious rooms
5. Very clean rooms and hotel
6. No or can’t doesn’t appear to be in the staff’s vocabulary
7. Concierge service that obviously knew what she was talking about
8. Most importantly, a pleasant smile on EVERYONE’s face

A couple of examples:
1. My 13yr old daughter started her “woman thing” and didn’t have the necessary item(s) with her. I called the front desk to ask if there was a shop in the hotel that she could buy some “necessary items”. Before I could even finish, the lady at the front desk said “Just send her down, I’ll take care of her”. Wow…that’s service!
2. Every time I called the front desk they answered “hello Mr. Armstrong”. When I asked for a wakeup call they asked if I would like a follow-up wakeup call 15 minutes after the 1st call. NICE and I apparently needed it (Bourbon Street, need I say more)
3. When we entered our room there was a jazz CD playing on the CD/Clock Radio. A very nice completion of local jazz. The next morning I turned it on to listen to the CD again and it struck me that I should ask if I could purchase the CD. I called down once again (“Hello Mr. Armstrong), and I asked if I could buy the CD. Once again, I’m amazed the woman says to me “It’s yours for free Mr. Armstrong, I hope you enjoy it”….OMG I was blown away!
4. Willingness to immediately improve; the only thing that wasn’t perfect was the ring around the shower pipe needed to be caulked. When we checked out I brought this to the front desk personnel’s attention and they wrote it down and thanked us for letting them know.

We would and will recommend this place to anyone that is traveling to or through New Orleans….hands down the biggest bang for your buck. Don’t waste your time calling around to other hotels, just stay here. You absolutely won’t be sorry.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family