“Best Hotel in New Orleans”

Loews New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #13 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans
“Best Hotel in New Orleans”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Without a doubt The Loews is the nicest hotel in New Orleans.We are locals and stayed at just about every hotel in and around the French Quarter and Loews is our number 1 choice..The workers always have a smile and aim to please you.The rooms are very modern and very clean.There are only 2 or 3 hotels that have a spa.My wife likes the Loews Spa.They have an indoor pool and hot tub.There is no way this hotel should not be in the top five hotels in New orleans......

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
bangor australia
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Good hotel in Busines/warehouse area. breakfast were Ok at reasonable prices. Parking costs are a bit high at $32 per day

Room Tip: dont bring a car
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Monrovia, California
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I recently stayed at the Loews April 13-16th with my family. Now this hotel is located in the Warehouse District which is on the edge of the French Quarter...a good 15 minute walk from the heart of the action. But this place is awesome! The service from the door man to the valet to the concierge. There's no where else I would stay. The room are large and the view from the 21st floor is amazing. It was a great place to accomodate our children, 3 and 6 years old. Even though its a walk to the French Quarter it is worth it. The river walk is a block away and the Harrah's casino is right across the street.

Bottom line...this is where we will stay when we are in New Orleans!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Washington, DC Area
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for one night with family. It was the only hotel available in actual new orleans (that week all hotels were booked because of major conferences) and I refused to stay in the NO 'burbs. Hotel ranks high for customer service in my book--I called about 30 minutes before making it to the hotel to see if they had a room for me even though it was well before check in time--they did and promised to hold the room for my arrival. Upon arriving to the hotel we were greeted by the nicest bellman--Julio. He gave us tips on events happening in the city (we were there during the French Quarter Festival). We had a room with two double beds on the 15th floor--amazing view of the bridge and city! The room was a little stuff when we got in (perhaps because it was 80 degrees out) but we were able to crank up the air to a comfortable temperature. The location of the hotel wasn't too far from central business district of New Orleans or other areas like the French Quarter--about a 15-20 min minute walk. The location is best for folks who want to be close to the riverwalk or Harrah's casino, which is just across the street. My only gripes about the hotel were the charges for internet ($12 in room or free wifi in lobby area only) and the valet-only parking at $35. I tried finding cheaper parking near by, but there really wasn't cheap parking within walking distance I felt comfortable with getting to at all hours. Brightside--the parking is right in the hotel, so you don't wait long for your car to return. While the Loews wasn't my first choice, I did have a good stay thanks the staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2011

No frills, just nice and convenient for the convention center as well as the French Quarter.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Minnesota City, Minnesota
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed in Mid-march while in twon for a conference at teh Sheraton.

Room: had a "grand luxury" room - very large, with king bed, couch, sitting chair, two flat screen TVs, a great CD player, work desk and good lighting options. The room had individual climate control. The bath was large, with a separate tub and shower. Good water pressure and temp. Tub was slightly larger than average but not a real soaking tub. Room also came with bathrobes. There was a safe that fit my 14" laptop, but a 15.6” widescreen may not fit. The room also had a mini-bar and snacks. Spendy as usual but nice to have and much more convenient than room service. Overall decor was nothing special - functional, not opulent. Room seemed clean. This is not a historic hotel by any means. It is a good solid functional hotel.

Gym/pool: Pool is long enough for decent, albeit short, lap workouts. It is a saltwater pool, which is more environmentally sound, but some people don’t like that sort of thing. The whirlpool is a good size and was hot. There is a sauna as well, but you will need to fire it up well before you want to use it. I didn’t use the gym, but it looked nice. There is also a spa on that floor. Didn’t use that either.

View: The view is important to me as I like to kick back at the end of the day and watch the world go by out my window. I was on the 11th floor, which I think is the first floor of rooms, and I had an interesting view of the Spanish Plaza, Poydras St, the CBD, and of the line of people waiting to eat at Mothers. The opposite side of the building faces a high rise hotel, so views on that side are limited in some rooms. Windows are large.

Service: I though service was excellent all around. The concierge provided good tips on jazz clubs. The front desk was efficient. The bellhops were always ready to help out, and the doormen on task, fun and full of good suggestions. My room was cleaned before lunch each day. Staff was all very friendly. I’ve found that tipping well early on in the stay pays off in spades when traveling. I encourage others who seem to have consistent bad service experiences to try it sometime.

Location: Great for the convention center as it is close to the CC (5 minute walk) but not buried in the warehouse district, which seems a bit dodgy (or at least empty) at night. The area around the hotel is always busy due to the line of hotels across from Harrah’s, and from Harrah’s itself. It takes about 5 minutes to get into the FQ, and I walked from Bourbon, down Canal, to Peters and to the Hotel on two different nights by myself and felt completely safe. One block towards the river is Fremont Street – which is an odd attempt to bring the FQ into the warehouse district. It doesn’t seem to have been successful, though there is a Gordon Biersch brewpub and restaurant there which has good beer and decent food. They also make really good pizzas. I got one to go for watching a movie in my room one night. One block towards the warehouse district are two small local restaurants with good food at good prices. There is also a great local bar there with good brass bands.

This is my third trip to NO, and I have stayed at the Hilton, the Royal Sonesta and Loews. If you are going for pleasure, I’d suggest the Royal Sonesta – its in the heart of the FQ and has a great interior huge courtyard/pool/outdoor bar. If you are going for business, I recommend Lowes over the Hilton. Loews is much smaller, has easier access to Canal and to the FQ, and the rooms are nicer.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank auroraclubjazz
Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I was staying at Loews for a work trip- all of our business was at the convention center. It was a pleasant walk to and from everyday. Although we weren't near enough to the French Quarter or Treme to walk (maybe we could have with more sensible shoes) it was a quick cab ride. The service was excellent, from the moment the bellmen helped me out of my cab, to Danielle at the front desk, to the staff at the pool/spa facility. My room was OK--the bed was huge and a bit bumpy/lumpy but I slept just fine. My bathroom was a treat with a large soaking tub and separate shower with amazing water pressure. The noise was my biggest complaint. I was in one half of an adjoining room and could hear the party going on next door as well as conversations of people walking past my door. I also hate having to pay for internet access in my room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business