“The Best”

Ranked #7 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed September 22, 2004

I am not generally a bed and breakfast fan, but I'll change my mind this time. The 1896 O'Malley House was built in 1896 and completely renovated around 2000. Each room has it's own bath, most with jacuzzis, it's own phone, and TV. The furnishings are marvelous...firm mattresses, comfortable side chairs, the works. The house is simply wonderful Better still is the attentive service provided by Brad and Larry. Such things as triple sheeting the beds, turndown service every evening, chocolate covered strawberrys on your pillow each night. Little touches that you don't see in some of the big name chains. And breakfast is to die for...cinnamon rolls to die for, fresh baked biscuits and muffins and, on the two mornings I was there, egg casserole dishes that were rivaled by none. The care and attention provided by Brad and Larry is unsurpassed. Lastly, you can see - but not hear - the trolley car from the front porch. It will take you into to town and the Quarter for $1.25. You get the benefit of being out of the city yet close enough to make it in 15 minutes. New Orleans and the French Quarter are marvelous, fun places to visit. But when choosing a place to stay go outside of town a little bit and make friends with Brad and Larry at the 1896 O'Malley House. You won't regret it - and my bet is you'll return on your next visit. I know I will.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 22, 2004

My boyfriend and I travelled to New Orleans in August and spent 3 days and 2 nights in the city. While the city is amazing, the highlight of the trip was our stay at the 1896 O'Malley House.

From the minute we entered the house, it felt like home. We were given tour books, recommendations, coupons - everything we needed for our stay in New Orleans! We were given a tour of the house, and it is breathtaking! Our room was stunning - so romantic! We had the double jacuzzi room. It was so luxurious - the decor was breathtaking, the bed was so incredibly comfortable, and the atmosphere was one of complete relaxation.

It is hard to put into words just how nice the 1896 O'Malley House is. Our days started with a delicious full breakfast (with homemade biscuits, cinnamon rolls, muffins etc. as well as eggs, cereal, yogurt and so much more!) served in the extremely elegant dining room and ended with two chocolate dipped strawberries placed on our pillows when the bed was turned down. In between, Brad & Larry were the most accomodating, friendly and entertaining hosts. They provided excellent recommendations on tours and restaurants, answered all our questions, gave us a history of the house and New Orleans, and did everything to make our stay memorable!

The location of the B&B is also perfect! It is located in a quiet neighbourhood, 10 minutes (by streetcar) away from the French Quarter, where you can also catch the St. Charles streetcar to take you to the Garden District.

We will definitely be back as soon as possible! After being spoiled by Brad & Larry at the 1896 O'Malley House, there's absolutely no doubt where we'll be staying! THANK YOU Brad & Larry for being the *best* part of our trip across the southern USA!

Reviewed September 19, 2004

We had a group from Birmingham, Alabama that rented all the rooms but one. It was a 40th Birthday celebration. We came in on Friday after the hurricane came through Birmingham. It was so nice to walk into a beautiful place with great accomadations. The linens were plush like a 5 star hotel. The room and your private bath was excellent and extremely clean. What was so nice was how helpful and accomodating Larry and Brad were. They gave recommendations for Dinner and Lunch. It was a great trip and the pictures on their website are good, but they don't do it justice. The house is BEAUTIFUL! Larry and Brad's breakfast was delicious. Cody the dog was also very sweet. My advise is to stay here and forget the hassel of a big hotel. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2004
Reviewed September 15, 2004

Brad and Larry had boarded up and closed the bed and breakfast anticipating the worst with the approaching hurricane Ivan. When a few older neighbors and myself expressed concern about staying in our smaller homes for the storm, they graciously reopended the doors to anyone in the neighborhood that needed a safe place to weather the storm. I had never been inside the O'Malley House before it was stunning. We felt very welcomed and safe. What a jewel for our neiborhood. Thanks again. I will tell all my friends about the O'Malley House when they visit New Orleans.

Urbana, IL
Reviewed September 14, 2004

My stay at the 1896 O'Malley House was exceptional. The house is located right off of Canal Street within half a block of the Trolley that will take you directly to the Quarter in a short 15 minute ride. Brad and Larry were hospitable hosts, very helpful in giving recommendations, providing sample restaurant menus, calling cabs, etc. Breakfast in the dining room was very pleasant and the front room and porch were very nice to hang out and relax in. My third floor room was a cozy hideaway and the extra treats such as chocolate covered strawberries awaiting me on my pillow with a "sweet dreams" note were special.

Thanks for the great accomadations - I would definitely stay again.

Lexington, MA
Reviewed September 13, 2004

Brad and Larry provided us with excellent accommodations, food and company. We were a crowd of women attending a special event and the coffee was always ready at 5:00am when we asked for it. I especially loved the turned-down bed with the chocolate-dipped strawberries (made by Larry) on my pillow. I used the trolley system a few times which is very close by and convenient. I would definitely stay with them again.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 11, 2004

Innkeepers Brad and Larry are truly hospitable and attend to every detail. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and designed for comfort. The sheets are indulgently soft. Breakfasts are delicious, fresh, and served hot whether guests show up at 8 or 10. Innkeepers offer suggestions on how to get around the city, restaurants, and points of interest. Streetcar makes getting around easy. A great place to stay in a great city to visit!