“A Slice of Back East” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Garden District
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“A Slice of Back East”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Amazing Deli. I moved down here from NYC and I was missing a good old east coast deli and this place hits the spot. The food is really top notch, bagels are the best uptown, and they have really interesting sandwiches.

Also, little known fact, Stein's has the BEST beer collection in NOLA. This is a beer nerd's mecca. Stein has monthly beer classes that are amazing. I go to steins whenever I can on my way to work.

Visited October 2013

Gallant, Alabama
“Please seek this place out in the Garden District!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon this little cafe upon the referral of the kind mailman in the Garden District. What a great choice!!

We ordered the mufalleta and a small Philly and each got a bag of chips. It was so good and yet we couldn't finish it all. There is a little coffee area up front and a beer room in the back if you are into those things.
Cute market with nice meats, drinks, snacks, and canned goods. Cool area to take a break from all those big houses. Definitely worth the walk to find this little place!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Memphis, Tennessee
“Just like being in a NYC deli with a Nola flair!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Very casual hip atmosphere. I had a turkey pesto panini on homemade focaccia bread. My husband had a roast beef on bagel that was piled a mile high!!!! Yum sums up both our sandwiches.

• Visited September 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
“I Can't Get the Tuna Melt out of my Mind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I visit New Orleans frequently, and this is my second visit to Stein's. The first time I visited I ordered the Italian Hoagie which was delicious, but did not excite me enough to order it again especially since I am slowly cutting meat/poultry out of my diet. So on this visit on a Sunday afternoon around 4:30 pm, the Tuna Melt caught my eye. The Tuna Melt is served hot on your choice of bread and cheese. I especially like heated sandwiches, so I ordered it on the house-made Kaiser roll with Provolone cheese. My daughter loves the Italian Hoagie, so she ordered that. I also ordered a side of potato salad. The sandwich came piping hot with a pickle on the side in a basket. I did let it cool slightly. There was a lot of tuna salad on the sandwich. I am telling you, this is the best tuna salad I've ever had. Not too fishy tasting. Just right! Needless to say I ate the whole thing! The potato salad was delicious! It's been about three weeks now, and I keep thinking about this sandwich! I will be returning to New Orleans in a couple of weeks, and I will head to Stein's when I first arrive just because of this Tuna Melt!

I do need to warn visitors that the best place to sit in Stein's is towards the back where the drink coolers are. Sitting in the front area makes my eyes burn as there is some smoke in the air from the grill. They do have an air cleaner going full blast, but I am sensitive to smoke, so my eyes still burned such that it interfered with my enjoyment of the meal the FIRST time I visited. This visit when I had the Tuna Melt, my daughter and I were fortunate to get a seat towards the back, so I didn't have a problem with the smoke. Stein's is often crowded, so the seating is a factor. If I cannot sit in the back, I will take my sandwich to go.

Stein's is really a neat place with a great selection of specialty soft drinks. There is a cooler with unique beers; however, the sign on the cooler said that the beers could only be purchased to go, not consumed in the restaurant. There is also a wide selection of pasta noodles and Jewish desserts to buy. The sandwich menu has a lot to choose from with side items also available such as potato salad, pasta salad, slaw, etc. Yes, I am counting the days until my next visit!

• Visited August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A true New York style deli in New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I've eaten here a number of times and the sandwiches are always made to order with top quality ingredients. Gets very busy at lunchtime so try to schedule your visit before or after. Offers one of the most interesting selection of craft beers in the city (ask, the wine and beer section was recently relocated to a room outside the back door).

• Visited August 2013