“Great place to stay and enjoy New Orleans”
Review of Elysian Fields Inn

Elysian Fields Inn
Ranked #5 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Highly recommended for a stay in New Orleans, I will be returning there when we go back.
B&B itself was really nice and welcoming; rooms were clean and had all of the amenities you could ask for.
B&B owners were really nice and easy to chat to. We asked about good places to eat and their recommendations were top notch.
Breakfast was really nice, a good selection of pastries, tea and coffee as well as a freshly cooked breakfast which was different each day.
Location is slightly further away from the hustle and bustle of places like Bourbon st and the rest of the French Quarter than other B&B's, but it’s really minimal and the walk (probably about 5minutes) is so pleasant. Plus it's quieter, I slept very well.
Overall, I couldn’t ask for better

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was the first time I've ever stayed in a B&B, and I couldn't have been happier. Leigh and Jim are fantastic hosts - they make you feel like you've known them forever. They provided great advice on where to go, what to see and most importantly where to eat in NOLA. I was there for a conference and unfortunately on two mornings I had to leave before breakfast was served, but they made sure coffee and pastries were out early. The mornings I was there for breakfast I was very satisfied with the food. And the inn itself is lovely - clean and lovingly cared for. I stayed in an upstairs room towards the middle of the house. Elysian Fields Ave. is a busy street and I could hear road noise at night, but earplugs were provided and I slept better there than I ever do in hotels. The location is great and I never felt unsafe walking back there from the French Quarter (although I was never out later than about 9:00 pm). I hope to definitely return to New Orleans and Elysian Fields Inn!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was on a college tour with my Daughter and we were tired of hotels. This is a perfect place to rest and gather informaiton and sugguestions about the greater New Orleans area. The food is delicious and the innkeepers are such a wealth of information,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at the Elysian Fields Inn in Jan. 2012 and have delayed in providing our review. However, following a week staying in B&Bs in Scotland and having been reminded what a B&B experience can and should be, we decided we would review this one along with the others we have more recently stayed in. Bottom line, we were disappointed by our stay at Elysian Fields Inn. If the most important part of a stay is the ability to sleep, this place is a no-go. Across a broad street to the front of the house, and down a little ways, is a bar that stayed open until approximately 4 AM. We did not notice any noise from the bar until in bed, when the nonstop thumping of the base started throbbing through the walls, and literally our bodies, and kept us up late both nights. The earplugs provided are an absolute requirement, and even then obviously did not stop the vibrating throb of the music. Rest was difficult to come by. Second most important at a bed and breakfast is the breakfast. The owners are nice, but cheap. We were presented with an either/or choice each morning of a hot choice of the day or the fruit and yogurt cold choice. Circuits began to fry the second morning when one of us asked if it was possible to get a piece of fruit with the pancake offering. After grumbling from the hostess, a slice of melon was grudgingly provided. On the plus side, the house had a nice sitting area, comfortable chairs, and an enormous friendly dog. It was on the edge of a somewhat sketchy area, but an easy, comfortable walk to places of more interest. We would not recommend this location if returning to New Orleans or to friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MedDoc86
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

I want to apologize to these guests for the lack of sleep quality...at the time they were here they are absolutely right there was a problem with the bar across the Avenue from us. This bar has been on that corner for many many years and had just replaced the sound system. They had placed very large speakers on the wooden floor of a wooden building and the whole building was acting like a huge amplifier. It could be heard and felt for blocks. It took the neighborhood a couple of weeks to convince the bar owner it was a problem but it is now solved and no longer an issue.

We do have three choices at breakfast each morning and I am more then happy to provide fruit with the hot choice. We have baked goods from our neighborhood bakery on the sideboard, a hot choice which changes daily and a yogurt, fresh fruit and granola parfait. We are an urban Inn in one of the most “foodie” cities in the country not a destination Inn in the country where the meals are a very important part of your stay. It is not my desire to compete with the world class chefs of New Orleans but is my desire to provide my guests with a good wholesome and tasty breakfast to fuel their exploration of our wonderful city New Orleans.

These guests must have been very unhappy with their experience to have such a vivid recollection of it 15 months later. And, I am very apologetic but obviously from our other reviews most of our guests have felt quite differently.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was traveling alone for a conference and had a wonderful 6 day stay in March. The location is perfect, the rooms are very comfortable, and Leigh and Jim were so helpful. It is a quick walk to Frenchman and very conveniently located. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In February, I needed a quiet and restful place to stay before and after my first marathon and what a perfect place! Hosts were very gracious and helpful. I enjoyed the breakfast, the conversation and Zeke, the sweetest dog ever, lying at my door in the morning. The breakfast was great and the innkeepers very friendly and accommodating. I will certainly be back again next time I need a place to stay in New Orleans!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed there last September as part of a 3 week US tour from Australia. Elysian Fields was a great place to stay. Jim and Leigh were great hosts and good cooks. Very helpful with directions and putting us at our ease as we were a little nervous after all the things you hear about how dangerous New Orleans is. We had a room by the front door and were worried it would be noisy but it wasn't at all. We did a cycling tour with CoC bike tours, it started just by the local park. The French Quarter had everything we wanted for music and food. Being vegetarian the Middle Eastern cafe and the 3 Muses were good. 3 Muses had nice wine too, about the only place..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple