“Great Inn, Great Stay in NOLA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elysian Fields Inn

Elysian Fields Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   930 Elysian Fields Avenue, Between North Rampart and Burgundy, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Faubourg Marigny & Bywater)   |
Announcement
Call Today
Ranked #8 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Petaluma, California
“Great Inn, Great Stay in NOLA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our first visit to New Orleans -- so glad we chose Elysian Fields Inn to stay. Good location, wonderful house, accommodating innkeepers. My husband and I went with another couple for six days and we each had our own lovely room w/private bath on the second floor. The hosts, Jim and Leigh, were gracious from the beginning of our stay to the end. They share an obvious love and knowledge of the area and are quick to recommend places to go, restaurants, etc. We felt welcome and comfortable the entire time. Breakfast was a treat every morning with the choices offered and a great start to enjoying the day. We would all like to return for another amazing trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScottieDog5652

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Leigh and Jim were delightful hosts, know everyone in the neighborhood and hooked us up with restaurant reservation that was perfect for our needs. They have a beautiful home, lovingly maintained, with fantastic art. The rooms were impeccably clean, well-decorated and with very high ceilings. Stayed on second floor, friends on first were early risers so folks going to breakfast didn't bother them at all. Area was much safer than we expected and they were quick to warn us about not wandering into dicey area a few blocks away. Fantastic, straight-friendly gay bar on corner. Sad we only stayed one night as we joined friends in a group house in Garden District for the rest of our stay, but their introduction to and recommendations about Frenchman Street and the rest of the city made our entire stay even better. I will be back to this lovely B&B to visit Zeke and city again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Baden, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great breakfast, beautiful property, helpful, warm owners, very very clean, rubbish wifi, super location near frenchman street, large comfy rooms. All in all a very pleasant stay and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our first trip to NOLA. Leigh and Jim had fantastic recommendations for restaurants, tours, etc. They have a beautiful home. We stayed in a front suite on the second floor. They are right next to a bar, John Paul's, which is also very fun but you do get some noise carry over. They provide ear plugs if needed, we didn't have any trouble sleeping but if you are a light sleeper, you may want to request a room back from the street and away from the bar side. This B&B in walking distance from pretty much EVERYTHING! Frenchman St is VERY close and the absolute best place to see true NOLA live music. The French Quarter is also very close, we walked to the WWII museum from Elysian Fields one morning, it was a hike but very doable. Leigh and Jim were kind enough to allow us to check in early to have more time to explore the quarter and were always interested in what we had planned and offered very helpful advice on places to go, things to see, etc that fit in with our plan for the day. Breakfast was always wonderful, hot option was always cooked to order and delicious. We would recommend this to any of our friends going to NOLA and would stay here again if we get the chance!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the street and the neighborhood bar are a bit noisy at night, request a back room awa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HuskerFan47
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Jim and Leigh are lovely hosts who are very welcoming,informative and friendly people.
The location is very good, close enough to the great music scene and eateries but just far enough away to enjoy the peace and quiet when you need it most..A beautiful house which is highly recommended...

• Stayed September 2012
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this inn for 2 nights prior to a cruise from New Orleans. I booked this inn as I was looking for a different experience than your standard chain hotels and we certainly achieved that. We are regular visitors to the United States being fortunate enough to have family in Florida and have travelled widely staying in many different accommodations including cabins, motels and hotels. Firstly the positives, the inn is large, clean and in a good location (incidently when we arrived I was feeling a bit dubious about the neighbourhood, however this was completely unfounded). We enjoyed sitting on the front porch with pre dinner drinks and the bedrooms were clean and comfortable. The innkeepers appeared friendly and gave us a map of the area and recommendations for lunch, however the friendliness ended there. The following morning when we awoke for breakfast we were informed it was pancakes and sausage, as my husband rarely eats a hot breakfast he asked if it would be possible to have a simple piece of toast instead and was astonished to be informed it was pancakes and sausage, not toast. I nearly the coffee I was drinking when I heard this response, firstly not everyone is going to like pancake and sausage or whatever is on the menu but to be refused a breakfast when you have paid for it especially when all you are asking for is a piece of bread is unbelievable. We did not expect to have to go and purchase breakfast again. The wifi did not work, not once, I did inform the innkeeper on our first day who said she would reset it in the morning, funnily enough it never worked the whole time we were there, I picked this particular inn as it offered wifi but after reading a recent review from a traveller from Scotland who had the same problem I didn't really expect it to work and sure enough it didn't, the innkeeper's clearly know there is a problem with the Wifi so they really need to either fix it or not advertise it as an amenity. Incidentally there are a few bars around Frenchman street that have free wifi and we were able to use that no problem. The following morning breakfast happened to be bacon and eggs (with toast!) and we had no complaints about that. However as were trying to get our heavy suitcases into the car from the two rooms, one was upstairs we inadvertantly left the front door open between trips from the door to the car (which was immediately outside the inn) and was shocked to have the innkeeper come to the door and very rudely tell us hot air was entering the house, we apologised and explained that we would just be a moment as we were getting our luggage only to be told "that doesn't matter" and the door slammed!. I am sorry to say but the from our experience the only friendly face at this inn belongs to the beautiful dog. Further to this when we arrived at the cruise port and was talking to the porter who asked where we stayed he shook his head and said No No No, this was also echoed by a fellow cruiser who lived in New Orleans. As I said in the beginning we certainly had a different experience just not one that met our expectations.

Room Tip: Stay in a hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Sue M
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I want to thank these guests for staying with us and apologize if they thought I was rude or inhospitable…I am a host, it is my first love to make people feel comfortable and welcome in my home

Breakfast at the Inn always consist of a hot breakfast that changes daily, a cold choice which is always fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, and last but not least on the sideboard there is a variety of pastries from the neighborhood bakery. I know it seems simple to accommodate the request for toast; you put toast in the toaster, butter it and bring it to the table…along with Jam. But if I have planned Pancakes…the griddle is where the toaster would be and if I have bread it is frozen and more times then not someone else wants something special. At one time I tried to accommodate these request and it got very out of hand. I found myself in the position of doing breakfast to order and as we are not a restaurant and not equipped as such this did not work. I try to have enough options that everyone is happy and full. If someone has a dietary need they will usually let me know a head of time and I am more then happy to accommodate their need.

I know it is irritating to try to go on line and the Wi-Fi be down. We have been having trouble with our Wi-Fi since Hurricane Isaac at the beginning of September when we were with out electricity for 5 days…our Computer repair person has been out twice to work on it and will be back this week again. There is a computer, printer and scanner available 24 hours a day in the Great Room for all our guests use.

It was very hot and humid while they were staying with us…I did not mean to be rude but I was exasperated as the front door was consistently left open and not for just a few minutes. We have 7000 feet under air with three zones and if they get unbalance every one in the building suffers from the heat and the air conditioners have to run constantly for hours to cool the building back down at great cost to our electricity bill. We always ask our guests to make sure not to leave the door open.

Elysian Fields Inn is consistently in the Top 20 of over a 140 Bed and Breakfast in New Orleans on TripAdvisor. I am not sure but I would think both the porter and the passenger were referencing Elysian Fields Avenue as it is 5 miles long and stretches from River to Lake through many neighborhoods; some excellent like the Faubourg Marigny where the Inn is located and others not so much.
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed with Leigh and Jim for one week. We found them delightful hosts who went out of their way to be helpful. The inn was clean, very comfortable and well located. Great breakfasts. Each night when we returned it felt like coming home. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple