“Nice quiet Place”

Ranked #60 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Lansing, Michigan
“Nice quiet Place”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We liked the room and quiet location. Great access to trolleys and Garden District.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveler48823

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester England
Reviewed October 27, 2011

the hotel is lovely but it's a bit spaced. Basically, if you stay in the actual Queen Anne mansion it's gorgeous but you are on your own! The lobby is very Gone With the Wind but you have to check in at the Pyrittania Hotel and breakfast is in the hotel across the road. Basically the Queen Anne is just a resting spot. There's nobody onsite. However, it's beautiful. The rooms are clean, large and well equipped. The breakfast is OK but my husband grabbed 3 peices of fruit bread to toast for us both and was slight attacked for being greedy! We were told that the breakfast is complimentary and it was 2 peices each. It was very embarrassing and not needed. However, that's a small quibble. It's well appointed but you need to get your bearings. The French Quarter is around a 20 minute walk but much easier to get the tram from 1 block down and it's only $3 for a day ticket. BUT they have no change and will turn you away if you don't have the right money. Get off at Canal Street and you are right on the edge of the French Quarter. I loved loved loved New Orleans and the Queen Anne was part of that experience!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kjbManchesterEngland
Hotels3, Manager at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
I want to Thank the guest for their review, but would appreciate a moment to elaborate on a few points.

A). The Queen Anne Mansion was once a private home, and now, through a beautiful restoration, has 12 rooms. It is apart of a collection of (3) boutique hotels in one block. Now, understanding this, you should also know that in the Garden District of New Orleans, this is the standard for hotels. You won’t find many big box hotels, but beautifully restored Mansions and homes that were renovated into unique, quaint hotels. Proudly, We are one of them.

We are not a B&B where the mangers lives on site, and never claim to be one. It is a hotel, with the check in lobby a short 1 block down, and very accessible 24/7. All phones are connected to main lobby by switchboard by dialing “0”.

B). The breakfast room for the Queen Anne is in 2 areas, depending on various factors. Mostly, it is directly across the street at our property, The Prytania Oaks which was designed for this. The Queen Anne Mansion is not laid out for such. If not across the street, it is in the courtyard just off the main lobby where you check in.

C.) The breakfast attendant did not scold them or attack them. She has been praised many times on comment cards as to her caring ways. This was his 2nd pass at the breakfast service station to which he had full coverage the 1st pass through. She was trying to explain that it is a “get me going” breakfast, and that we have other guests who have not been down yet. She tried to suggest seeing they were still hungry, a full service breakfast restaurant 2 blocks down, but they did not want to have to pay for it since ours was complimentary.

D.) When guests check in and inquires about the Famous New Orleans StreetCar, we always tell them you need exact change as they do not give change. When you enter the streetcar, “tram”, it is clearly marked exact change required. This is standard to most trolley systems.

We will always break down larger bills for those who do not carry smaller ones for this reason, and we always have quarters to change out as well. The streetcar is $1.25/person, per ride or $3.00/day. Seniors over 65 ride for 40cents ea ride.

Perhaps this guest did not inquire, and therefore, probably did not know, even tho we have a large message board with this same information on it right at the front desk.

Dori H Schulman
Snowmass Village, Colorado
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great room, great location on the EDGE, if not quite in, the Garden District. The advertised "expanded" breakfast is NOT ! It is very meager and not really worth going for. On days 2 & 3 we had a banana instead (Not from them as there was no fruit)
We would return!

Room Tip: We asked for a King bed and got one.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce D
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have mixed feelings about writing this as I feel like I'm giving away a secret. This place is amazing! The room was huge with wood floors, a high ceiling, a spacious bath. It is more than just a place to "crash". I don't usually say this about hotels, but I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Davedaws1
Alexandria, LA
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Why is this called a hotel? My husband and I felt as if we were guests at a friends house! Things we loved about the Queen Anne: 1. FREE parking directly in front of the house. We could see our car out of our windows. 2. The peace and quiet. We were afraid we would hear other people in the house. Not so! We were booked into room 151. Right by the front door. Not a problem at all. 3. The room was huge! 12 foot doors and ceilings, ceiling fan, refrigerator, beautiful rugs, comfortable bed and sofa....I could go on and on! 4. No drunks walking around. 5. Tons of restaurants, taverns, etc. one block away. 6. The cleanliness of the room. 7. The air conditioner! We loved being nice and cool after walking around in the heat and humidity. I could go on and on!! Things we did not like about the Queen Anne: NOTHING!

Room Tip: Room 151 was huge!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arachal6
Wake Village texas
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was a pretty last minute trip, and was searching for a hotel when my search brought my attention to this one. and I will be forever greatful..not only was it a beautiful hotel, but the staff was very helpful. We arrived in NO around 10am, and our room wasnt ready yet. the desk clerk allowed me to store some of my items in the office so they wouldnt get ruined by the heat, she gave us a few suggestions on places to visit, while we were out walking around she called and said our room was ready, but to just take our time and enjoy ourselves. Once we did get into our room it was a ver pleasant surprise!! the room was great very romantic. I would highly recommend this hotel, and any future visits to NO I will definatly stay here again. Thank You again for a great hotel stay!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angie903
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The Queen Anne actually exceeded our expectations! We had a wonderful trip and had a great time at this property! We stayed in a King Room on the 1st floor on the front of the house, which was perfect! Nice street view of the huge oak tree and blooming bushes in front. I grew up in New Orleans, so staying in a huge, older house like this was like a trip back to my adolescence!

The only sort of traveler whom I would not recommend this property to is the type who prefers more modern "stylish" hotels with ALL the modern conveniences. If you are bothered by doors that don't quite shut right, creaky hard wood floors or worn antique rugs, this probably isn't the place for you. If you want to be in the thick of the French Quarter action, this also probably isn't the place for you.

If you're looking for a quaint B&B type property just oozing with charm, 14 foot ceilings, nestled under a huge Oak tree and literally one block from the St. Charles street car line, part way between downtown and Uptown, then this IS the place for you!

Our only real "complaint" was the relatively weak water pressure in the shower, but it's definitely my understanding that much of the city is still experiencing this sort of problem area-wide in the post-Katrina era. It is what it is, in that regard. There were also some questionable houses around the corner, but I knew enough about the city to expect that sort of thing. If you want to stay in a "perfect neighborhood" in NOLA, expect to pay way, way more than this, I'll tell you that much.

I also have to say that the staff was super helpful and friendly and went out of their way to help us whenever we needed it. (Which admittedly wasn't very often, but they were there for us when we needed them! Thanks so much!)

We never really sampled the free breakfast that was offered each morning because, let's face it: New Orleans is THE breakfast capital of the world; so why anyone who's not in a huge hurry that particular morning would eat breakfast "in" rather than at one of the multitude of the city's great breakfast places is beyond me. When I read reviewers who complain about a particular New Orleans hotel's "disappointing continental breakfast," I just cringe!

Lastly, as for the previous reviewer who described his unsatisfactory stay in another room on the same floor we stayed, I can honestly vouch for the fact that there are NO walls anywhere near as close to this property as he describes. I walked around and checked personally, and he's not being truthful in that regard, at least. So take his word for what it's worth. 'Nuff said.

Thanks again to the staff at the Queen Anne--we loved our stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple