“Amazing Place”
Review of Queen Anne Hotel

Queen Anne Hotel
Ranked #65 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have mixed feelings about writing this as I feel like I'm giving away a secret. This place is amazing! The room was huge with wood floors, a high ceiling, a spacious bath. It is more than just a place to "crash". I don't usually say this about hotels, but I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davedaws1

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Why is this called a hotel? My husband and I felt as if we were guests at a friends house! Things we loved about the Queen Anne: 1. FREE parking directly in front of the house. We could see our car out of our windows. 2. The peace and quiet. We were afraid we would hear other people in the house. Not so! We were booked into room 151. Right by the front door. Not a problem at all. 3. The room was huge! 12 foot doors and ceilings, ceiling fan, refrigerator, beautiful rugs, comfortable bed and sofa....I could go on and on! 4. No drunks walking around. 5. Tons of restaurants, taverns, etc. one block away. 6. The cleanliness of the room. 7. The air conditioner! We loved being nice and cool after walking around in the heat and humidity. I could go on and on!! Things we did not like about the Queen Anne: NOTHING!

Room Tip: Room 151 was huge!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arachal6
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was a pretty last minute trip, and was searching for a hotel when my search brought my attention to this one. and I will be forever greatful..not only was it a beautiful hotel, but the staff was very helpful. We arrived in NO around 10am, and our room wasnt ready yet. the desk clerk allowed me to store some of my items in the office so they wouldnt get ruined by the heat, she gave us a few suggestions on places to visit, while we were out walking around she called and said our room was ready, but to just take our time and enjoy ourselves. Once we did get into our room it was a ver pleasant surprise!! the room was great very romantic. I would highly recommend this hotel, and any future visits to NO I will definatly stay here again. Thank You again for a great hotel stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angie903
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The Queen Anne actually exceeded our expectations! We had a wonderful trip and had a great time at this property! We stayed in a King Room on the 1st floor on the front of the house, which was perfect! Nice street view of the huge oak tree and blooming bushes in front. I grew up in New Orleans, so staying in a huge, older house like this was like a trip back to my adolescence!

The only sort of traveler whom I would not recommend this property to is the type who prefers more modern "stylish" hotels with ALL the modern conveniences. If you are bothered by doors that don't quite shut right, creaky hard wood floors or worn antique rugs, this probably isn't the place for you. If you want to be in the thick of the French Quarter action, this also probably isn't the place for you.

If you're looking for a quaint B&B type property just oozing with charm, 14 foot ceilings, nestled under a huge Oak tree and literally one block from the St. Charles street car line, part way between downtown and Uptown, then this IS the place for you!

Our only real "complaint" was the relatively weak water pressure in the shower, but it's definitely my understanding that much of the city is still experiencing this sort of problem area-wide in the post-Katrina era. It is what it is, in that regard. There were also some questionable houses around the corner, but I knew enough about the city to expect that sort of thing. If you want to stay in a "perfect neighborhood" in NOLA, expect to pay way, way more than this, I'll tell you that much.

I also have to say that the staff was super helpful and friendly and went out of their way to help us whenever we needed it. (Which admittedly wasn't very often, but they were there for us when we needed them! Thanks so much!)

We never really sampled the free breakfast that was offered each morning because, let's face it: New Orleans is THE breakfast capital of the world; so why anyone who's not in a huge hurry that particular morning would eat breakfast "in" rather than at one of the multitude of the city's great breakfast places is beyond me. When I read reviewers who complain about a particular New Orleans hotel's "disappointing continental breakfast," I just cringe!

Lastly, as for the previous reviewer who described his unsatisfactory stay in another room on the same floor we stayed, I can honestly vouch for the fact that there are NO walls anywhere near as close to this property as he describes. I walked around and checked personally, and he's not being truthful in that regard, at least. So take his word for what it's worth. 'Nuff said.

Thanks again to the staff at the Queen Anne--we loved our stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Blake40
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I was very disappointed in the difference between what I expected from their web site and what I actually found. First DO NOT accept room 153 where we stayed. The only view is that of the wall of the adjacent building about five feet away. It was 95 degrees outside and the air conditioning was barely passable. The lobby was infinitely more cooler than the room. Also no soap. The website stated a continental breakfast in the courtyard. The courtyard is their sister hotel down the street and the courtyard is really an alley. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee which was always "out" and a stale danish in a cellophane wrapper. The desk staff was harried and not helpful. I am a frequent business traveler and this hotel did not come close to what was advertised. ertising.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Fredband
Hotels3, Manager at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2010

The 3 story mansion is listed on the National Historic Trust Registry, and we proudly display our certificate over the Front Desk of the main lobby where you check in. So, I am not sure what exactly he did not like or felt was not up to the web site. The 1 night this guest stayed, the mansion was completely sold out, all 12 rooms. He booked a Single Queen room. Every room has a different view and flavor, but keeping close to the Queen Anne period of the architecture. Of the 12 rooms, 8 are queens, 3 are kings, and 1 is twin beds w/sofa sleeper. Room 153, has a 14 ft, original Red Heart Pine beautifully restored floors, with an Apricot Marble bathroom. There is no way the adjacent house is 5 feet away. The La. State Fire Marshall would never have approved our renovation plans otherwise. It is more like 25 feet away to the fence, and then it is past the fence. No Soap? Not only do we use Jergan's Face and Body soap at the sink, we use the Jergan's Body Bar in the shower. We also put in all the rooms, Pantene Conditioning Shampoo, Jergan's Hand Lotion, and Listermint Mouthwash.

The weather in New Orleans this summer has been an extremely HOT and HUMID, more so than prior years. The Eastern half the country experienced extreme heat this summer. The Friday night he was here was anything but cool. Anyone who travels to New Orleans in the summer must expect hot and sticky weather. The air conditioning was working just fine, but when the heat index is nearing 110, not matter where you set the A/C, its not going to get as cold as you would want it. Each of the 12 rooms have their own Central HVAC unit. He had checked in early, and when he did, we explained that we had not had the chance to turn the A/C on the cool the room down prior to arrival. Of course it was warmer in his room than the lobby, but after about 30 mins, the room was at the same temp as the lobby of the Queen Anne.

During the summer due to the outdoor temp, for us to monitor breakfast food safety in the heat, we serve all guests breakfast is in the courtyard of the main hotel. Whereas in the fall/winter, we serve the Queen Anne guests either at the Queen Anne, or directly across the street, at our sister property, in a breakfast room with a large screen TV.

It is not an alley as he describes it, but a Landscaped courtyard that has hotel rooms surrounding it. It is one walkway leading to another around the railroad tie landscaped beds. As to Continental Breakfast, I can assure you, we do not serve anything in cellopane wrapping. Our danishes are neatly displayed under cover on a tray for self serving. They may be on the cooler side as they are kept under refrigeration when in storage. Most guests use the lobby Microwave to warm up, or take them back to their room on a provided tray for same reason. All rooms of the Queen Anne have a Microwave.

On the weekends, typically we have 6 pots of coffee rotating at breakfast that serve 20 cups each. We have a total of 90 rooms between all 3 hotels under our management, and it was quite busy. If he had to wait for a coffee pot to be replenished, I am sorry. Every room has a coffee maker and fresh coffee packs to brew when you first get up. It is the same coffee we serve at breakfast. If the desk staff was harried, that would be unusual as most guests find our staff very friendly and helpful. I will look into who was on that Saturday morning and read over the logs for the day.

Dori H Schulman,

Reviewed July 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Queen Anne during a trip to New Orleans for our tenth anniversary. When we arrived we found that Dori, the owner, had surprisingly provided us with a complimentary bottle of champagne. That was a nice touch and was reflective of the generally nice and helpful staff. The room we had was quiet and confortable. The hotel does not look like much from the outside but is very nice inside. It is located only a short walk from the streetcar, so it is very convenient for getting around in the city. The only slightly negative thing I could say is that the surrounding neighborhood appears to be a little iffy, although my wife and I didn't run into any specific problems. Overall this is a nice hotel and a good value for those who do not want to stay in the business of the French Quarter.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mariesman
Reviewed January 31, 2010

location: Perfect - only a block away from the street car on St. Charles. The hotel was situated halfway between the French Quarter downtown and then near the campuses of Loyola/Tulane/ zoo/Audubon Park uptown. Also near nice restaurants.
Staff, so friendly efficient, room even better than I hoped, since only had image from website.
Room: High ceilings, fireplace, spacious, beautiful and modern bathroom, ceiling fan, overall charming and clean! checking in and out @ Prytania; close and convenient. Overall,fantastic experience in an old south romantic setting!
P.S.-visit Lucky's bar,1625 St Charles, for down-home, welcoming atmosphere W/ Gordon,great barkeep! Thanks to All! We'll certainly be back, and our friends who live there are already recommending highly!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple