“Excellent Value, Nice Rooms, Great Service: It's All Here”

Homewood Suites New Orleans
Ranked #92 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 23, 2005

I stayed at the Homewood Suites New Orleans earlier this month as part on an informal family reunion with my aunt, sister, and brother-in-law. It was down to me to select the hotel as I do much more traveling than they do. Based on the reviews here at Trip Advisor I decided this hotel would be to everyone's liking. We were not disappointed. Between us we stayed in two one-bedroom suites and were impressed with how large the suites were. There was plenty of space to spread out and the rooms were immaculate. The kitchen area is fully stocked with flatware, dishes, and cookware if you want to cook your own meals; there is also a large refrigerator (which you will need to store all the leftovers you bring back from the restaurants--there is no such thing as small portions in N.O.), a microwave, and the automatic dishwasher was a nice surprise.

The amenities were outstanding as well. The complimentary meals were delicious and there was always a good selection. Coffee and tea service is available 24 hours. I didn't use the pool, but I did take a quick peek and it was a nice sized pool. Also on the premises is a gym, business center, and coin-operated laundry room, all open 24 hours a day. Adjacent to the front desk is a mini convenience store, but prices there are a bit steep as you would expect ($2.25 for a small bottle of apple juice). I would suggest instead going to Walgreens at the corner of Barone and Canal, a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all so friendly and helpful and went above and beyond for us several times. The Homewood Suites is centrally located, with many of the major landmarks (Superdome, French Quarter, Bourbon Street, Harrah's Casino, Riverwalk) no more than a 10 minute walk away.

I have just one complaint, and it's a nitpicky one at that. Our balconies did not have chairs, so we were not able to just lounge and get some fresh air. I hope this problem will be corrected in the future.

I highly recommend the Homewood Suites New Orleans and will stay there when I visit N.O. in the future.

• Stayed: June 2005
46  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 20, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Homewood Suites by Hilton for 3 nights in May and loved it. This is one I would definitely recommend, and return to if I go back. It is very centrally located in the Central Business District, only a few blocks from the French Quarter. This hotel delivers much more for your money than most suite hotels. The 2 room suites are very spacious, clean and excellent for families. I really appreciated having a full sized refrigerator and space to stretch out. They offer a free happy hour/light supper every weeknight from Sun - Thurs. with drinks (you pour your own beer, wine or soda) and snacks as well as a featured hot entree that differs each night. Breakfast buffet was abundant and had many choices, including hot dishes (scrambled eggs and sausage). You can also make your own waffles if you want. It did get quite crowded, so on one day there was no seating to be found, and the wait for the 2 elevators was very long. Overall, I was very impressed with the generosity, quality and value of all the amenities. I've stayed in Embassy Suites before and in my opinion they pale in comparison to this hotel. The staff were very efficient and friendly; the doorman was a real wonderful gentleman. We never had to use the valet, as we were able to find free after hours & weekend street parking next to the hotel. There is a small gym and a medium sized pool which is indoors; this surprised me somewhat considering how hot it is there in the summer. Overall, I give two enthusiastic thumbs up to Homewood Suites. It exceeded my expectations.

30  Thank ElCert
Milford, CT
Reviewed June 16, 2005

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in New Orleans for four nights in June, 205 and experienced a most enjoyable stay. Our room was neat, clean and one of the two bedroom suites. There was ample privacy and plenty of room. The pool was well maintained as well as the jacuzzi which we enjoyed in the evenings after the manager's reception. And speaking of that, the food was more than enough and something different every night. Breakfast also was delicious and a great way to jump start the day. We particularly want to thank Darlene, the concierge in the morning, who helped us immensely with trips, tours, 'must' sees and restaurants. She was very attentive and checked with us every day to make sure our previous day's journey went well. A big hurray and thanks to the staff at this elegant hotel and thanks for making our stay very comfortable. Rose, Pete, Kim and Ernie.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2005

This was about my 15th visit to New Orleans and I have had an oppoutunity to visit several haotels in the city. Prior to this visit the W had been my favorite. I must say that this is my favorite and for the price it can't be beat. The rooms are clean, spacious and very comfortable. The breakfast was very good as well. I will definitely say that the concierge Judy Clymens is great. This was my wife's first visit to New Orleans and she is ready to return already, one of the main reasons is because of Judy.

Stayed: May 2005
17  Thank FootballTraveler
Reviewed May 29, 2005

We searched lots of New Oleans hotel web sites, and read lots of reviews on 'Trip Advisor' before my husband and I decided on The Homewood suites. I'm so glad we did. We stayed for 6 nights, starting on the last weekend of the N.O. Jazz and Heritage festival, and the hotel was my favorite part of the stay. Homewood Suites needs to work on their website to promote the fact that they have Big & Thick - Comfy Beds! I've stayed at hotels with the "Sweet Sleeper Beds", and at expensive hotels with crappy beds (Like in Vegas), and wouldn't go back. After walking all day and doing touristy things, there is nothing like being comfortable. The indoor pool was great, and the hot tub was even better.
I agree with the other reviews, that the breakfast buffet was fantastic, however, when the hotel says it ends at 9:30am, they are not kidding. The very efficient staff stops replenishing at 9:20am, and is clearing the leftovers away by 9:30am. That was a little extreme. I did appreciate the fact that they didn't say anything when I would make up a plate to take to my husband in the room. I was usually up earlier, to eat breakfast and swim, so I would take him breakfast up to the room. With the fridge, microwave and toaster in the room; it was the best of both worlds.
We were told by some guests we met at the pool, that they had a few things stolen from their room. That kind of publicity is going to hurt the hotel. Just to be safe, we asked house keeping not to make up the room when we were out, and just asked for more towels and TP in the evening. They even offered to lock up our laptop in the managers office, since their safe deposit boxes were so small. The staff was extremely agreeable!!!

2  Thank labgalbuffalo
Kansas
Reviewed May 24, 2005

Just returned from a stay at the Homewood Suites. It's a beautiful property, and the price was quite reasonable compared to others in the area. The continental breakfast offering was very good. We loved it for the first two days. Unfortunatley, however, on the third day we took a road trip to the beach in Mississippi and were gone from very early until very late. We returned to one very nice surprise -- a complimentary bottle of champagne provided for my friend's birthday -- and one not so nice surprise. A bag full of souvenirs that had been left in the room was missing. Maybe it's my own fault for not making sure it was locked up, but there wasn't anything there that was really of any great material value... mostly just sentimental reminders of the trip. We managed to replace some of the items, which meant buying them all a second time, but there were a couple of places we weren't able to return to in the time we had left. One of those was the swamp we toured where I had purchased my most treasured shirt of the trip which I never even got to wear! The incident was reported to the Homewood Suites staff, but they were less than helpful. Everyone was very friendly and appeared genuinely concerned, but nothing ever actually got done. The manager kept assuring us that he was looking into it and was going to contact the housekeeper who had been in charge of our room that day but we left more than one person at the desk with cell phone numbers where we could be contacted and never received a single call from them and at the time we checked out, they still had not spokent to the housekeeper. At this point, I am trying to get a response from someone higher up in the company. There are notices in the room stating that, per Louisiana state law, the hotel is not to be held responsible for missing items, but there was also a card that stated that your night's stay is free if you are not 100% satisfied, and I certainly wasn't. It really disappoints me that I am not able to give this hotel a great review because it really is a nice place but this incident put a damper on our whole trip and as such I can't say I'd stay there again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2005

This was our second stay at the Homewood Suites, and it was wonderful. The rooms were clean, spacious, and the beds were comfortable. The location is convenient, and yet away from the noise of the Quarter. The breakfast offering was convenient, and well-attended by the staff. Our experience was made especially terrific by the service we received. From check-in through the entire stay, the staff was gracious and extremely helpful. We've stayed in several places in New Orleans and this is hands-down the best.

• Stayed: April 2005