“Excellent Stay (with qualifications)”

Homewood Suites New Orleans
Ranked #97 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Concord, California
“Excellent Stay (with qualifications)”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a Wednesday through Friday night in July. I really enjoyed my time there and would return again. My room was spacious and very comfortable. The condition of the furnishings was good. The bed felt OK. The bathroom was OK, albeit with a noisy fan. The whirlpool tub was a bit difficult to step in and out of for showers.

Here are the qualifications. The pool and hot tub were not available to guests for my entire stay due to some maintenance issue. I didn't miss either too much, but I'm sure a number of guests would have liked to take advantage of both. The air conditioner in the room is noisy and barely adequate. It is obviously a little old and tired. I had to keep it running all of the time to keep the room temp down. The room has a balcony, but don't open the door to it! Your air conditioner and the one for the room next door vents right on to the balcony. It is loud out there and the already warm and humid outside air is enhanced with a blast furnace effect from the air conditioners. Not a big deal to me, as I had no reason to use the balcony anyway. There is a large office building just across the alley for a view anyway.

The morning and meal service was good, but suffered from the usual cattle call problems with a big rush of people lining up early and snatching up the seating. The hotel staff putting out the food did a good job regardless.

I was touring on a motorcycle with a trailer and parked my bike in the open lot across from the back of the hotel. There was a 24 hour attendant there and my bike came through without a scratch or a mishap after three days for which I paid about $66 for parking it there. Bourbon Street and the French Quarter are easily walkable from the hotel. There is a nice grocery story nearby if you would like to stock the kitchen. Transportation options abound. I used both the bus service and the historic trolley lines. I found the hotel concierge only moderately helpful. A city tour was booked for me which I found to be disappointing. I think the best way to see things is by foot, public transportation, or perhaps a bicycle tour. I opted not to go on one of the swamp tours recommended by the concierge.

All in all I'm happy with my decision to stay at his Homewood. The rooms (especially the air conditioners) do need some updating, but they are not by any means the horror described by some reviewers. I will say that if you don't sleep well with a noisy air conditioner, maybe you should bring earplugs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank southwest_traveller9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Live Oak, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My family and I stayed 4 days at this hotel. It was great. Rooms were clean, staff was so nice. Food was great!! The only problem was the pool was closed, but they made arrangements to use the pool next door. It was awesome!! I have a 6 and 11 year old and they had so much fun. Everything is walking distance. The tour adviser there Kylie (Shelby) was wonderful!! She was super informative and very nice. She helped us out so much!! If you are going on a trip with your family or just you this is the place to stay! Free breakfast every morning and it was delicious. Monday- Thursday they have free dinner with beer and wine. It was great!! Parking was not so good. My advice is get the spot right out front. One is free parking ask the attendant. 2 have parking meters 8am to 6pm you have to pay every 2 hours.

Atlanta, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was great, it was kid friendly and it was a great location outside of the French Quarter. Most of the locations we wanted to see were within walking distance. staff was also knowledgeable about tours and we had a fabulous tour guide! Staff was friendly, hotel was clean and the complimentary breakfast was great!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I found the reviews to be on point. The hotel is nice, breakfast and dinner food was tasty and the staff was helpful and accommodating. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2013
New Roads, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The rooms were not the cleanest, but we were prepared for that. However, the pool was closed from before we made our reservation throughout the whole 5 day stay we were there. They made arrangements at a pool next door on a rooftop with out proper fencing.. ie not as safe for children as their rooftop pool. When I told the frontdesk that the kids had not been able to swim she simply said "that is not true", before I even finished my statment of "the kids have not been able to swim HERE". Very rude and not at all helpful. Some of the staff was wonderful and the breakfast was really good. Sleeper sofa EXTREMELY uncomfortable!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

st. louis
Reviewed July 17, 2013

First I will talk about the good stuff. The hotel was clean and the staff, save one person, was very friendly. Even when Hotels.com messed up our reservation and was rude to the poor lady checking us in she was smiling and being courteous to him and us. The beds were comfortable if you like softer beds.

The bad. The seat of our toilet was broken and It was the LOUDEST toilet I have ever heard. The AC unit was also so loud every time it kicked on it woke me up. BUt all in all a good hotel that was close enough to everything even for a couch potato. Sadly the pool was out of order and the one that they offered would not really work for us since it was raining. So that was a disappointment.

Now for the one person that was not nice. I have found that the concierge's job is to do their research and make friends with the companies in the area to get the best deals. Well she told us she could get us a great deal on a swamp tour. When I asked her what kind of deal she said that she would just tell them my kids were small.. What? My kids are in their late teens and when I told her that she said that even if they noticed they would not say anything. So her idea of doing her job was to lie. Makes me wonder what else she lies about. THEN she tried to talk us out of going to a particular tour company saying how bad it was. IT was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dennis P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed your visit to New Orleans. Even more pleased that you liked our hotel and your stay. I'm sorry about the maintenance issues you encountered and they have been addressed by the manager of that department. I'm surprised at your description of what occurred with our concierge. Thank you for the feedback and we'll address your concerns directly. We definitely don't encourage any dishonesty among our employees and certainly by extension our guests.

Jennifer Jones
Director of Sales
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We (family of 4 with two teens) chose this hotel mainly for its location and size of the room/beds (lots of NOLA hotels have only 2 doubles), and those two factors were met. It's a bit of a walk (10 ish mins to FQ or Warehouse district for the WWII museum or Cochon), but not a big deal, central enough for us and we were glad not to be right in FQ after seeing it (seedy parts/noise not great for families). However, being in the business district I did expect a more "upscale" place, but first thing that hit me when I entered the lobby, was that it felt and smelt like a typical chain hotel along the highway. I think it's the swimming pool/cleaning agent smell. Then the room, and I'm guessing they're not all alike in quality, because the first room we got was dark, smelly and the sofa had a gigantic rip! It's probably one that's not renovated yet and not occupied often. It also faced a building very close by (the odd number rooms) so natural light was limited. We went back to front desk and ask for a room change as we were staying 4 nights, and the lady was nice about it and we got a new room (even number 5th fl) which was much much better. Everything in room, 2 queens, sofabed, shower etc were fine, except the air conditioning was so loud (and it kicks on and off so you can't just get used to the "white noise") that I needed to go get ear plugs to sleep the next day. Breakfast buffet/manager's light dinner were fine, but in NOLA it's a bit of a shame not to eat out. My kids did use the pool a couple of nights before it was out of order, and it was fine, but a bit claustrophobic and loud if there were more than 10 people inside the pool area (not as big as it looks in photos). The cable TV was out of order a couple of days too.
In a nutshell, if you got a good rate, need the space/kitchenette, care about the included breakfast and free food (and beer & wine) 5- 7 pm Mon - Thurs., then this is a good hotel for you.

Room Tip: Higher floors, rooms facing the Le Pavilion Hotel side.