“"Will stay long in the memory"”
Review of Hubbard Mansion

Hubbard Mansion
Ranked #31 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“"Will stay long in the memory"”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My colleagues and I visit the US every July for an annual convention. It is customary for us to stay over at a non-chain establishment a task that usually falls to me. Staying at the Hubbard Mansion is the best decision I have made in deciding where we stay. Without wanting to wax lyrical, the Hubbard Mansion is an oasis of calm and generosity. The welcome we received from Don and Sheila made us feel right at HOME. The building lends itself to my idea of a southern home; with beautiful antique furniture throughout. The bedrooms were well laid out and the beds very comfortable. Mornings at the Hubbard Mansion is a rare treat; while Sheila sets us up for the day with a fulfilling and delightful meal, Don sets us up with current and historical insights into New Orleans and american life. Street cars pass right outside to ferry you to the city centre as you reluctantly leave. Quality restaurants and markets are within walking distance. Next year our annual convention is in another state; guess where i will be afterwards. The Hubbard Mansion truly a home from home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Davy H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

On my recent trip to New Orleans I along with a group of colleauges had the pleasure of staying at the Hubbard Mansion. Having stayed at the Astor on Cable St for our business trip our second week Uptown at the Hubbard Mansion was beyond my expectations.The hosts Don and Sheila provided us with a most memorable experience one that I recommend others to seek.The building itself is exquisite ideal for a romantic getaway or any other occasion,Our welcoming and accomodating hosts provided insightful information about New Orlean history and culture.As a bed and breakfast experience rooms beautifully furnished in a range of antiques pieces as is the entire house which adds to the feeling of historic comfort.Each morning a delightful breakfast marks the start of the day well. Its location is excellent being a few steps (literally) from the steet car stops in easy reach to city centre.Dining locally is equally close to had with a good range of menus in addition to ' The Fresh Market ' store. Since my return to the UK I think I have spoken more about the Hubbard Mansion than any other aspect of my visit.A piece of southern comfort to be experienced by all....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hughes Springs, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hubbard Mansion for our first time and in celebration of our 7 wonderful years of marriage. What a pleasant experience! The accomodations were more than expected and Don and Sheila were very gracious and pleasant hosts. The breakfast was delicious and the morning conversations were exceptional. It is hard to find adjectives that have not already been used for describing our experience. We booked the Breion room and the room, as was the entire mansion, was beautifully maintained and very clean and neat. The furnishings accent the mansion's beauty in grand fashion. Access to the streetcar and off-street parking allowed us the opportunity to explore the area without worry. We are already talking about our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hubbard Mansion for our second time, saying first in the carriage house and this time in the home itself. The location is perfect, near restaurants, with free off-street parking. The Garden District is beautiful, and the home is on the St. Charles streetcar line. The breakfast is always delicious, and Don is always willing to chat. We've learned so much about the city from him. What a treasure! We will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wonder Lake, IL
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We came to the Hubbard Mansion for Jazz Fest. When I booked it, it was the only thing under $200/night and still in an area I wanted to be. The mansion itself was beautiful but we were staying in the Mahalia coachhouse apartment in back. Sheila, the host, was wonderful with always answering all my questions.

The only issue is, the coachhouse (there's 2 two-bedroom apartments) is not very clearly described on the website. It's 2 separate apartments, and within each, there's two bedrooms . Each of the bedrooms (so 4 total between both apartments) are rented separately. So you could potentially be in an apartment with a complete stranger. And the bedrooms are right next to each other so it doesn't offer a lot of privacy. I luckily was staying with my husband and my friend was in bedroom # 2 but if I didn't know that person it would be very awkward. I think that needs to be clarified on the website. But for our purposes we were happy.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank nawlins95
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'll start by saying that I almost never give anything "5 stars" because I believe there's always room for improvement. That said, this place is truly deserving. The location is right off the St. Charles Streetcar line, which provides easy access to the city and the rest of the Garden District. It's obvious from first stepping foot in the front door that Don Hubbard (a New Orleans "icon"), built and runs his B&B to the highest standards. The building itself was designed and built to resemble a grand, old mansion, chock full of beautiful antiques. That it was built only 12 years ago is a testament to the attention-to-detail that was paid. The room in which I stayed was comfortable, with high ceilings, and in-suite whirlpool bath, and all of the amenities of a hotel (iron, safe, cable TV, wifi). I regret that I was only able to eat breakfast one day due to my conference schedule, but that one day was exceptional. The traditional Southern breakast was delicious, and Don creates a fine-dining experience, with china settings and a beautifully-appointed dining room. All that said, the best part of the stay was getting to know Don; a character and local hero, who has influenced many positive changes in New Orleans. Definitely my go-to place in NOLA!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank With_The_Band
Butler, Tennessee
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our stay at the Hubbard Mansion was completely wonderful. Upon our arrival in NOLA we discovered our hotel reservation were inadequate leaving us, a family of 4, with nowhere to stay. Acting on a recommendation from a friend, we contacted the Hubbard Mansion. Sheila was most accommodating putting 3 of us in the Mansion and the fourth in the Carriage House. The accommodations were perfect for our situation. I disagree with those who left disparaging comments about the Carriage House. My 40 year old daughter stayed there and had nothing but good things to say about her stay. No, it doesn't have the antique furniture that is in the Mansion and it doesn't come with breakfast, but those facts are made perfectly clear by the staff before making a reservation. The review that called the neighborhood residential, devoid of restaurants is just plain wrong. The area is full of fine restaurants within walking distance. In fact, on Sunday morning our family enjoyed a wonderful brunch just a block and a half from the Mansion.
Meeting Mr. Hubbard was a delight or as they say in New Orleans, a “lagniappe” (an unexpected something extra). In addition to being a gracious host, Mr. Hubbard engaged us in humorous conversation sprinkled with historical facts about New Orleans and the Mansion.
In conclusion, I highly recommend the Hubbard Mansion to all those looking for a wonderful and unique experience. Oh, I forgot to mention, the breakfasts were delicious, complete with a touch of Cajun taste.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fine. If you have need of an extra single bed the "Parlor" is situate...