“Highly recommend! Very enjoyable experience.”
Review of Hubbard Mansion

Hubbard Mansion
Ranked #31 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hubbard Mansion for our first time and in celebration of our 7 wonderful years of marriage. What a pleasant experience! The accomodations were more than expected and Don and Sheila were very gracious and pleasant hosts. The breakfast was delicious and the morning conversations were exceptional. It is hard to find adjectives that have not already been used for describing our experience. We booked the Breion room and the room, as was the entire mansion, was beautifully maintained and very clean and neat. The furnishings accent the mansion's beauty in grand fashion. Access to the streetcar and off-street parking allowed us the opportunity to explore the area without worry. We are already talking about our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hubbard Mansion

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hubbard Mansion for our second time, saying first in the carriage house and this time in the home itself. The location is perfect, near restaurants, with free off-street parking. The Garden District is beautiful, and the home is on the St. Charles streetcar line. The breakfast is always delicious, and Don is always willing to chat. We've learned so much about the city from him. What a treasure! We will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We came to the Hubbard Mansion for Jazz Fest. When I booked it, it was the only thing under $200/night and still in an area I wanted to be. The mansion itself was beautiful but we were staying in the Mahalia coachhouse apartment in back. Sheila, the host, was wonderful with always answering all my questions.

The only issue is, the coachhouse (there's 2 two-bedroom apartments) is not very clearly described on the website. It's 2 separate apartments, and within each, there's two bedrooms . Each of the bedrooms (so 4 total between both apartments) are rented separately. So you could potentially be in an apartment with a complete stranger. And the bedrooms are right next to each other so it doesn't offer a lot of privacy. I luckily was staying with my husband and my friend was in bedroom # 2 but if I didn't know that person it would be very awkward. I think that needs to be clarified on the website. But for our purposes we were happy.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank nawlins95
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'll start by saying that I almost never give anything "5 stars" because I believe there's always room for improvement. That said, this place is truly deserving. The location is right off the St. Charles Streetcar line, which provides easy access to the city and the rest of the Garden District. It's obvious from first stepping foot in the front door that Don Hubbard (a New Orleans "icon"), built and runs his B&B to the highest standards. The building itself was designed and built to resemble a grand, old mansion, chock full of beautiful antiques. That it was built only 12 years ago is a testament to the attention-to-detail that was paid. The room in which I stayed was comfortable, with high ceilings, and in-suite whirlpool bath, and all of the amenities of a hotel (iron, safe, cable TV, wifi). I regret that I was only able to eat breakfast one day due to my conference schedule, but that one day was exceptional. The traditional Southern breakast was delicious, and Don creates a fine-dining experience, with china settings and a beautifully-appointed dining room. All that said, the best part of the stay was getting to know Don; a character and local hero, who has influenced many positive changes in New Orleans. Definitely my go-to place in NOLA!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank With_The_Band
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our stay at the Hubbard Mansion was completely wonderful. Upon our arrival in NOLA we discovered our hotel reservation were inadequate leaving us, a family of 4, with nowhere to stay. Acting on a recommendation from a friend, we contacted the Hubbard Mansion. Sheila was most accommodating putting 3 of us in the Mansion and the fourth in the Carriage House. The accommodations were perfect for our situation. I disagree with those who left disparaging comments about the Carriage House. My 40 year old daughter stayed there and had nothing but good things to say about her stay. No, it doesn't have the antique furniture that is in the Mansion and it doesn't come with breakfast, but those facts are made perfectly clear by the staff before making a reservation. The review that called the neighborhood residential, devoid of restaurants is just plain wrong. The area is full of fine restaurants within walking distance. In fact, on Sunday morning our family enjoyed a wonderful brunch just a block and a half from the Mansion.
Meeting Mr. Hubbard was a delight or as they say in New Orleans, a “lagniappe” (an unexpected something extra). In addition to being a gracious host, Mr. Hubbard engaged us in humorous conversation sprinkled with historical facts about New Orleans and the Mansion.
In conclusion, I highly recommend the Hubbard Mansion to all those looking for a wonderful and unique experience. Oh, I forgot to mention, the breakfasts were delicious, complete with a touch of Cajun taste.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fine. If you have need of an extra single bed the "Parlor" is situate...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MountainMan413
Reviewed March 5, 2013

On two previous visits to NOLA the Hubbard Mansion provided a wonderful B&B experience for our adult family members, and was becoming our "go-to" hotel for our fairly frequent visits to the city. The rooms are beautiful and breakfast in the lovely dining room was a great start for our days. On this, our third visit, we were assigned rooms in the Carriage House. What a disappointment!! This is an ordinary two-bedroom apartment behind the main house. There is a full kitchen & sitting area downstairs - but we had no desire to cook & "eat in". The king bedroom has no closet & the tiniest inadequate bathroom. There is a queen room as well, with a closet & more comfortable bath. Most disappointing of all, however, was that on the first morning we were informed by the owner that his Bed and Breakfast Inn did not provide breakfast for "guests" staying in the Carriage House. No coffee, no breakfast, and no suggestions for where we might go. (This is a residential neighborhood.)
Just be advised that you should know before you go exactly what type accommodations you are paying for. The B&B experience in the main house rates a 4 or 5 star, the Carriage House, not so much. And we were not informed of the disparity when our reservations were made.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank LLynn_48
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Not all accommodations are the same at the Hubbard Mansion. We were a group of 4 so instead of getting two rooms, the inn-keeper offered us the "carriage house". It's a bit sad to walk through the lovely front rooms of the mansion, to the ordinary apartments out back at the end of the parking lot. Many of the furnishings seemed worse for wear and mismatched certainly not antiques. Although the layout might work for someone staying for a week or more (there's a kitchenette), for a weekend it was rather dreary especially after seeing the opulence of the main inn. The bathroom for the master bedroom was so tiny that I could barely turn around. The bathroom for the other room was a standard size and had a real bath/shower instead of stall. I can't understand why inns and hotels only offer one worn out pillow per person on a bed--not very comfortable or welcoming.

I'm not certain they rent the individual bedrooms to separate parties at any given time, but if they do, there's no way, I'd accept it. The Carriage house is only for a group that knows each other very well. Because there's a kitchenette, you are not offered breakfast at the inn, but shopping for food for a 3 night stay didn't seem worth it. Be forewarned that there is VERY little in the way of restaurants in the immediate area that serve breakfast--just McDonalds.

It's a shame that the Mahalia carriage house unit seemed like an after thought. The owners of the inn are very friendly and the main inn is quite lovely. But at $250 a night, I was wishing I'd stayed across the street at the chain hotel where there's a breakfast included.

Room Tip: Stay only in the main inn.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family