“Someplace special”

Ranked #33 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Someplace special”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed for 5 days at this fabulous B&B during a conference far away from the madhouses a.k.a. the big hotels. This B&B is something special, a true mansion with an impressive facade, hall and rooms full of old-fashioned furniture, and with a relaxing atmosphere. The host and staff are very friendly and accommodating. My chats over breakfast with the owner, Don Hubbard, in the splendid dining room, sitting at a long table, were a pleasure, learning about the history of New Orleans. Highly recommended for those looking for tranquility.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chaver4u2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
H-Town. Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hubbard Mansion in New Orleans for the 4th of July weekend. It was a last minute trip and I lucked up on them by accident in an online search so I didn't know what to expect. Also, we had never stayed at a bed & breakfast before so it was totally new. We were so very pleasantly surprised!!! From the warm welcome by the owner, Don Hubbard with a personal tour of the facility and the warmness of Sheila, it was a "Fantabulous experience"! The house is amazing! Although it's new, only 12 years old, it really takes on the feeling of the old New Orleans charm that you see in pictures. We stayed in the Carriage House, Mahalia, in the back of the house and that was great as well (even though someone checked in later so we didn' have the whole place to ourselves, lol). Having been to New Orleans a million times, It was nice being away from the crowds in the French Quarter but a close enough drive to the hustle and bustle when we wanted. There was free parking in the back of the house which is a plus if you've ever had to pay outrageous hotel parking in New Orleans.
The only thing we would do differently is stay in the main house so we could experience the breakfast since that's not served in the back houses. But overall, it was a wonderful experience and I would recommend anyone willing to truly experience New Orleans, give the Hubbard Mansion a try. You won't be disappointed!
Thanks Don and Sheila for everything!!!
`Dennis & Clemetric Frazier

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SkyDiva13
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Hubbard House this past weekend. The location of this B & B is perfect. It is in the Garden District and only is about 2.5 miles from The French Quarter. The location of the B&B is ideal for a romatic weekend because you are close to the activity in The French Quarter but benefit from being in the quiet neighborhood ambiance of The Garden District. There are plenty of good restuarants within walking distance of the Hubbard House.

The mansion is gorgeous. Everything in the house was very clean and inviting. The rooms are large and very nicely decorated. We stayed in the Breon room. That room was very quiet and the large bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a reasonable size. Mr. Hubbard personally oversaw the design of the mansion and he obviously was concerned about the little details. The high ceilings, large windows, and modern bathrooms are some of the details that really stand out.

The most endearing thing about the experience was meeting Mr. Hubbard and Sheila. The entire staff was warm, classy, and caring. In fact, I had to be hospitalized during my visit due to a medical condition and Mr. Hubbard personally called to check on me several times.

I plan to make this beautiful B & B my home during my regular visits to New Orleans. I am already looking forward to my visit there this fall. The Hubbard House has indeed become my home in The Big Easy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bkgallman
Covington, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My wife and I were “referred” to Hubbard Mansion when our first choice for a night’s stay in Uptown New Orleans was booked. I’m very familiar with New Orleans but had never heard of Hubbard Mansion. For lack of an expedient alternative, however, we braved it, and it turned out to be a wonderful place! The house was built to be a bed and breakfast, so each room is accommodating and has a private bath. At the same time, the house is carefully decorated and maintained in a way that feels “homey” and authentic, like a bed and breakfast should. Add to that the high ceilings, wooden floors, crystal chandeliers and Greek revival façade and you get the full experience of staying in a mansion on one of the most opulent streets on the planet. Don and Sheila Hubbard are in residence and were very helpful and welcoming. The house affords off-street parking, which is a real premium on St. Charles Avenue, and it is very centrally located. You can step out the front door and catch the St. Charles streetcar right outside the front gate. Despite that, the house was quiet and we slept well with no noise from the Avenue or the other guests. The night we stayed, a Saturday night at the beginning of Mardi Gras, every room was taken, but we only saw the other guests as breakfast.
Our room was tastefully decorated with antiques and the linens on the bed were fabulous. My wife said they were hand embroidered. Even I noticed, and I usually wouldn’t. More impressive, everything was spotlessly clean. The walls all looked like they were freshly painted. The floors gleamed. It was amazing.

Sheila Hubbard sets a beautiful table, and breakfast the next morning was excellent. They serve with fine china and again, great linens. I never paid any attention to linens before, but these stood out.

Best of all, the price was very reasonable. I was shocked, frankly, by what we got for the money. It was an excellent value, excellent location, great rest, great food, with wonderful hospitality and management. We left the kids at home and went to New Orleans for a break, and Hubbard Mansion was the right place for it. We will stay there again, and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I believe there are five rooms and we stayed in the "Queen Dale." It was quite, comfortab...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick M
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I had called another B&B initially but, as they were full, they referred me here. The house is absolutely gorgeous with wonderful decor, amazingly high ceilings, and was immaculate. The home appears and is furnished like an old garden district house but is actually only a few years old. Don and Sheila Hubbard were great hosts. We enjoyed speaking with them while eating a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cornhusker17
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I've been to New Orleans many times and I have never had a more enjoyable visit. From the moment I stepped out of my car I felt like I was home and Mr Hubbard and Sheila did everything they could to support that mindset. Big bedrooms and nice baths and that little lagniappe of the whirlpool tub. Big front porch where I could sit with a gin&tonic and pretend I was at home. The streetcar line running in front of the house is very convenient and anyone who had ever been to New Orleans will tell you parking in the tourist areas is impossible SO take the streetcar. I dont want to forget talking about the great breakfast prepared each morning.. I was spoiled by Sheila the first day and every day it got better. I shall return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BamaNAD
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at the Hubbard Mansion the day we became engaged. Mr Hubbard and the staff made us feel so welcome and also celebrated our exciting news with us! The rooms were immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. The southern breakfast was delicious each morning. We plan to stay at the Hubbard Mansion each time we visit New Orleans!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple