“ecclectic interesting resto!”
Review of Maurepas Foods - CLOSED

Maurepas Foods
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Creole/Fusion cuisine by Chef Michael Doyle. Trained at Dante's Kitchen in New Orleans, Chef Doyle is making a statement with his innovative cuisine. This restaurant is taking off as the latest in a long line of excellent and relatively unknown New Orleans restaurants. Not far from the jazz on Frenchmen St., this restaurant would be a wonderful way to start an evening out.
Montreal, Canada
“ecclectic interesting resto!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

this is outside the French quarter, located in the Bywater section of New Orleans, an up and coming residential area only few minutes cab ride out. The restaurant, which was a former warehouse, has only been operating for 6 months has already become a favorite with the locals. Our local friend took us for lunch on day that we arrived and it was great! The menu is very interesting and somewhat complex to decipher at the start. Dishes are described in unadorned terms such as ie: blueberry, shisho oil, green peppercorn. Don't be fooled! Dishes are amazing and all made with local products only. I had the goat tacos on the recommendation of my friend and the waiter, and despite not liking goat generally, this was truly delicious.
I suggest you start with this restaurant before you start exploring the French quarter simply because you may not find time after to leave the FQ.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank mfrou

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Goat Tacos!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I heard a lot of hype about this restaurant opening up, so I finally had to see for myself. I was thoroughly impressed by the decor, the prices and perfect portion sizes. Whatever you order you won't be disappointed. My friend and I started with a small cheese plate followed by snap beans for her and a goat cheese salad for myself. For the entrees she ordered the chicken quarter dinner that was served with the ceramist grits ever and I got goat tacos that is accompanied by pureed spinach salsa and picked green tomatoes. Everything was delicious and I appreciated the foot note on the menu thanking local farmers markets. Though the menu has only a number of options, the place definitely holds culinary weight so check them out.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank NOLAjetsetter
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Best restaurant... ever”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This place was so amazing we ate there 3 days in a row during our 3 day stay in New Orleans. Once for lunch and twice for dinner. Locals were amazed that we knew it existed (and that we were in the Bywater area to begin with) - it's definitely a best-kept-secret that is soon to be better known.

First off: cocktails. This place has killer cocktails, with kooky names like "Sofa King Wah Soom", "Millionaire's Juice" and "Big in Japan" - we tried almost every single one over the course of our three visits. The guy who came up with these is a genius.The bartenders are friendly and service is fast. Don't leave here without trying a cocktail! You'll be doing yourself a disservice! I also love the little glasses they serve them in - tres chic.

The goat tacos were savory and divine. My boyfriend had the squid and sausage sandwich twice, and i can't blame him - amazing and complex flavor to the sauce. For dessert, the "grilled cheese" (with brioche and a sweet cucumber sauce) was just enough to hit the spot - light and airy, but an unusual sweet twist on the comfort food. It leaves you thinking, "Why didn't someone think of this sooner?" I also loved the kohlrabi salad and the beets. I know there are other dishes we had that I'm forgetting, but... I think it goes without saying that there are no "misses" on the menu, only hits.

If there are any downsides at all, it's the noise. The building has very poor acoustics, so don't come here expecting a quiet meal for dinner. (It's less of a problem at lunchtime). But it's easy to overlook the noise given the friendly service, snazzy decor, and non-obvious music (the bartender told us they were using Pandora's Dead Kennedys station... excellent choice!).

This restaurant is the main reason we were sad to leave New Orleans. I wish we could have boxed this place up and brought it home.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank nightrecordings
New Orleans
“Great spot!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

A great neighborhood joint with late hours that offers you a fine dining experience. Check out their unique changing menu - cant go wrong!

1 Thank David4NO
Shreveport, Louisiana
“OMG! Our new Favorite!!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Get the Goat Tacos! For sure! And try some cocktails, bywater daquiri was slammin!

Visited May 2012