“Awesome stay for the beginning of Jazzfest!”
Review of Canal Street Inn

Canal Street Inn
Ranked #20 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Awesome stay for the beginning of Jazzfest!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Magnolia room while in NOLA a couple of weeks ago. The Inn is fantastic and in a great location. The food was awesome, bedroom is spacious, and breakfast was delicious. We couldn't have asked for better accommodations. I don't give high marks lightly and this place gets my stamp of approval.

You should stay at this awesome historic house if your considering a B&B in NOLA.

Thanks for a great trip!

Rick and Michael

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Monica R, General Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
I am very happy to know that you and your husband enjoyed your stay.
I enjoyed talking to you two every morning.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Lots of different B&B options in NOLA..and believe you me, I did my research. If my memory serves me correctly (I'm a little late in writing this review), the home is a century old family mansion built in Italinate style. Like others said, the location - just outside of the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter and with a tram into the heart of all the action literally right outside the front door - was ideal.

The innkeepers Monica and Theresa were very friendly. They very kindly allowed us to choose between two rooms in the same price range and we ended up going with the Pyrtania which was much more luxurious than the room we initially chose! The room was tastefully appointed, the bathroom recently renovated, and the bed was soooo comfortable. There was even a little sitting area where we could go through our travel books and plan our day. Unfortunately when we wet to take a shower after a long day of traveling, the shower only had one setting SCALDING. According to Monica it had just been installed and we were the first people to use it..which was all well and good but we just wish it worked! The plumber couldn't be there right away and we had a tour planned so we couldn't wait around, so we just ended up going without a shower that first evening. Thankfully, it was fixed and working just fine upon our return. :)

Maybe Canal Street Inn has changed their policy recently, but our room was cleaned every day and our bed was made. I see that a lot of people have also mentioned that the breakfast portions are limited..and this is true. There is a set menu every day which we were informed of as we sat down..not much choice if you wanted something different, but thats just the way it is at Canal Street (that being said, everything we had was DELICIOUS). All of the food is inside of the kitchen so you can't help yourself to anything,,you have to wait to be served. A few minutes after sitting down (we were asked to let the inn keepers know what time we would like breakfast), Theresa would bring out a plate of delicious food, one glass of juice, and coffee. One day it was an egg/bacon/onion/pepper casserole and another it was a typical American breakfast of a fried egg, bacon and sausage..both served with a single piece of toast. To be honest, the portions served are more than enough..both breakfasts kept me going well into the afternoon. But I will say my fiancé did feel awkward when he wanted a second egg and some more juice. Did he really need it though? No, he just likes to treat himself (maybe a bit too much) when he travels like most people do.. I dunno..I can see how some people feel "nickeled and dimed" but I also feel that Americans have become too accustom to gorging themselves on food while on vacation..and that is probably better (and less wasteful) to have breakfast structured this way. However,,, given their clientele and the amount of reviews on here that express dissatisfaction with the breakfast, I do think management should consider at least leaving some toast, pastries, fruit, and orange juice out for guests..the hot dishes I can understand need to be made to order.

Outside of this, I do have a few bones to pick with Canal Street Inn though.. First, while the tram is RIGHT OUTSIDE there seemed to be some confusion regarding the tram timetable. Neither Theresa nor Monica could say with any certainty when the next tram was coming.. I got a little frustrated after a while..and ended up going online and to find the information I needed - the tram stops in front of the B&B every 15 minutes during the week, and every 30 on the weekends (at least that was the case when we were there in Sep 2013). That being said, they were very accommodating when we needed to print off some tour tickets and travel documents and when we needed help calling a taxi.

Aaaand, finally..and I hate to write this as Theresa was so nice..but one day she asked us to come for breakfast at 9:00am (I suppose we were the only ones in the Inn that day) because she had an appointment to go to. Breakfast was supposed to be served between 8:00am - 10:00am daily. We were a little annoyed at having to wake up extra early for breakfast..as (you guessed it!) we are those travelers who like to go out drinking and are always the last ones to stroll in hungover before breakfast closes!

We enjoyed our stay at Canal Street Inn but I think we will likely choose one of the many other B&Bs in NOLA if we ever return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle M
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My wife and I visited my brother-in-law for French Quarter Fest 2014 and stayed at the Canal Street Inn. We like to patronize B&B as they are generally friendlier than hotels and give a local feel. This was our first trip to the 'Big Easy' and we were not disappointed with the accommodations. The Inn is located in front of a Red Line Trolley stop that goes to the French Quarter and City Park. Mandina's, a lunch/dinner restaurant popular with the locals, is less than a block away. The Inn itself is a great piece of architecture and very well maintained: there is a large parlor, dinning room, courtyard and front and back porch areas. There is also a small workout room and a couple smaller reading alcoves. We could've spent a day just staying at the Inn if there wasn't a festival going on.

Monica and Theresa are the Innkeepers and treat their guests very well. Breakfast has an 8 o'clock and a 9 o'clock seating. Theresa asks about diet restrictions when you arrive and makes accommodations. We stayed for 5 days and always enjoyed our breakfast. Monica is very knowledgeable about the area and had many good stories to tell. They keep snacks on hand and a bottle of wine open in the parlor for the afternoon and evening. We had a great time talking with other guests while having a glass of wine a couple of evenings.

Our room was comfortable and spacious. We stayed on the second floor in the Royal Street #2. It had a queen size bed, small writing table and private bath. We kept the window open as the weather was great.

We loved our stay here and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The second floor is a good location, but gets foot traffic from the hall as it's near the front...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in New Orleans. I am very happy that we were able to be apart of it. Thank you for the positive review and I hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans.
Arlington, Tennessee
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was our first experience with a B&B and we were completely thrilled. The location was perfect, the home was amazing, and the host (Monica) was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a room on the lower floor and it was roomy and clean. The street car has a stop right in front the inn, so it's easy to get downtown. The neighborhood is out of the fray of the French Quarter and downtown, so you can get away from the hustle and bustle. There are a number of restaurants near the inn within walking distance, if you want stay close one evening. We will definitely stay here again for our next trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms had their own quick access to the parking in the rear of the home.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the very kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in New Orleans. Hope to see you again soon!
Silverton, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I frequently choose a B&B when traveling, as I generally find them more comfortable and accommodating. I have stayed in several B&B's across the country and the Canal Street Inn surpasses them all. It was the perfect location for Mardi Gras! Monica and Teresa are the perfect hostesses. We have already made plans to return next year, and should I be in NOLA prior to Mardi Gras I will absolutely make Canal Street Inn my first choice.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, just depends on what size and location you desire.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Deborah,
Thank you very much for the fantastic review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again next Mardi Gras!
Delmar
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice historic home, great service and staff. They gave us great information for touring the New Orleans area. Very accommodating. They graciously even let us leave a bag there while we went on a cruise ( we stayed at the B&B a few days before and after our cruise).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Canal Street Inn, we really enjoyed your stay with us. We're always happy to help in any way possible. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Canal Street Inn – a charming historic home of French colonial design, what a wonderful place to stay while playing in New Orleans. We stayed for three nights in early February 2014, and the experience left us with memories that will keep us smiling and laughing for years. The Inn is operated by two wonderful people, Monica and Teresa, and they were great in providing unparalleled customer service. Not only are they overly kind and thoughtful, they provided excellent guidance on things to see and do in and around town. The Inn is situated conveniently across from the rail street car transit system, only a 15 to 20 minute ride to the French Quarter or any of the other attractions in the core of New Orleans. This B&B will be definitely on our places-to-return to list, and we would highly recommend this Inn and its location to anyone looking for the New Orleans experience, as well as the peace and quiet it offers for a restful experience to rebuild the batteries.

Tim, Carolyn, Davida & Ross

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Timothy T
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for the incredibly thoughtful review. We're glad you had so many positive things to say about the Inn. It always puts a smile on our faces when we read reviews like these; they are what keep us motivated. We hope you all return to the Inn the soon!