“Choose this Inn for a Special Event” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canal Street Inn

Canal Street Inn
Ranked #16 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Choose this Inn for a Special Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My entire family would like to thank Monica and her staff for making Alexsa & Dan's wedding reception on September 15, 2012, a beautiful, fun and relaxing experience. Monica took care of my daughter so well that it gave me time to actually catch my breath. Also, the test tasting at the restaurant with my daughter, sisters and mother was so stress free and delicious!! From the gorgeous Inn, food and hospitality to the wonderful outdoor atmosphere, she truly made their day special…And she even took unobtrusive photos of the reception!! Who does that?? Monica does!! Being a Louisiana native, I appreciate a good person with a great heart!! I would recommend anyone looking into having a special event to take a serious look at this Inn. You would do yourself a great injustice not to! From having food and drinks to a special cake then a beautiful suite to retire to for the night, all without worry or hassle. Have fun, like we did!
Leslie w/Mr. & Mrs. Woods-West

Room Tip: All the suites were beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Monica R, Manager at Canal Street Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We truly enjoyed working with you and your family for this special event. I am so glad we could create a stress-free wedding reception for the bride/groom as well as yourself. My sincere gratitude for recommending Canal Street Inn to others looking for event and room space. Hope to see you at the Inn when you are in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed at this wonderful B&B . This home is beautifully decorated and our suite was spacious and comfortable. Monica thought of everything including shampoo and conditioner. She also provided great suggestions for restaurants, tours and spa services and made all the reservations. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who is visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pellis932
Thank you for the kind review. I enjoyed yours and your sisters visit to the Inn. I hope that you were safe from "Sandy".
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed this past weekend at the Canal Street Inn for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We had never been to NOLA and were a little concerned that we wouldn't feel comfortable at a B&B, but I was given a gift certificate from bedandbreakfast.com as a gift. Canal Street Inn was … read morecomfortable, clean and absolutely beautiful. The inn is beautifully kept up with all the old world charm you would want. Breakfast was delicious and wonderfully presented. In fact, Monica made us feel so comfortable that on our second day there we ended up just hanging out at the Inn reading and relaxing in our room or on the beautiful back porch. Monica was a great host. She gave us a map to the city with directions to all the places we wanted to go, made our dinner reservations and called us taxi's when we needed them. I liked the inn's location because we were a little out of the hustle of the main French Quarter but just a street car (stop is right across the street from the inn) or a 5-7min cab ride to Bourbon Street. They also recommended some lovely restaurants within walking distance from the inn and I even found a place to get a pedicure. All in all, I can understand why people keep coming back to the Canal Street Inn. Thank you to Monica and her staff for making our 10 year anniversary amazing!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Canal Street Inn (Room #6) We didn't hear any outside noise, bed was extremely...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so happy you could have a wonderful experience at the Inn for your anniversary. I enjoyed your stay and am glad you felt so comfortable and relaxed here. We hope to see you back for another anniversary!!!
Ostend, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

While I agree with most of what has been written about the property (beautiful house full of character, next to the streetcar - a 15' ride to downtown -, comfy bed, quiet), I did feel somewhat nickled and dimed at breakfast. It was rather poor, no fruit unless I asked, one egg until I asked for a second one, stale yoghurt, stuff past expiration date (Monica had just returned from a trip... but that is not really an excuse if you have (paying) guests, especially at the price I payed). Hot water for hot tea could be made more readily available at breakfast, you had to keep asking for more (one small thermos in the morning). Breakfast at Canal Street Inn for me was a bit of a letdown. This is a bed and BREAKFAST after all. Maybe the inn-keeper's mind was not with her business at the time, she has had to deal with some bad luck recently, amongst others the swimming pool had to be filled up.

Also note that your room will not be serviced during your stay. I was there for 4 nights, no beds made, bathroom not cleaned. In the brochure it says that this is done as to not disturb the guest(s). I found that a little disturbing, this was my first ever BB where service was not provided. You just had to ask Monica for additional towels or other stuff.

The rate for the room was really excessive. But I had the bad fortune to have been there during the music festival early July. Prices soar everywhere in NOL during the Essence Festival! If you travel at other times, you might find the price is right. Monica is indeed very helpful and kind otherwise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Nessjes
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a charming place to stay! My husband and I were delighted at the comfort and cleanliness of this B&B. We stayed in the Audubon Suite and I can honestly say this was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in with the best night sleep. Monica pays great attention to detail and is a delightful hostess. Excellent choice!

On a side note: Trolly stop is located directly across the street which is very convenient. Remember to have exact change ($1.50) and you'll do great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda N
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a great bed and breakfast that I've been going to (when it was known as the Block-Keller House) for almost 10 years.

The management and staff are accessible and friendly. The staff is also very discreet and unintrusive - you don't know they're there unless you would like something. If you are coming to New Orleans and want a place to stay with history, close to the French Quarter but not in it (the Inn is right across the street from the historic street car line) and ice cold a/c throughout the house, this is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Depending upon how many folks are in the Inn, the second floor may be quieter than the first. The f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

My first trip to New Orleans (for a family graduation) and I only was there 2 nights, but I could not have been more pleased with my accommodations. Canal Street Inn is centrally located and adjacent to the street car lines. I had a great room (#6), very quiet and spacious with a private bath. The owner, Monica, could not have been more helpful and gracious -- giving me hints on how to get around town as well as accommodating my need for an early breakfast one morning. I plan to return to New Orleans for a more languid visit, and this is definitely a beautiful old home that is worthwhile re-visiting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo