“Housekeeping needs improvement”

Ranked #50 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Mount Dora, Florida
“Housekeeping needs improvement”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I bid on 5 nights through Priceline on a 4 star hotel. After finding out which hotel I was staying at, I read the reviews. I wasn't looking forward to my stay.

On arrival, there were no bell hops at the front door. Pleasant greeting and room check-in. Found the room on the 7th floor was not clean. We went down stairs and were given another room on the 6th floor. As a concellation, we were told they would buy us a drink at the bar. Room was clean and nice. Beds were comfortable. I was allergic to pillows and was given hypoallergenic pillows as I had requested.

I took my drink up to my room and placed the glass outside the door when I was finished. My glass stayed there for 2 days, as well as other guests room service trays (just like I had been warned in the reviews). When the hypoallergenic pillows arrived (6 hours after my request), they were placed on the bed without pillowcases. Luckily, the housekeeper could be located and fresh pillowcases were obtained. The maintenance and housekeeping ride the same elevators as guests. They always seemed surprised when they realized there was a guest waiting to get in or out of an elevator. I rode the elevator with a supervisor and asked if she could send someone up to pick up the glass and trays in the hallway. After that, I never saw another tray remain in the hallway for more than a few hours. The towels were thin and not luxurious. We did love the robes, very soft.

The front desk people and bellhops (and I suspect bouncers) in the lobby were always friendly and helpful. On the weekend, we noticed the frontdoor was always attended. The bartenders were beautiful and classy. The music was enjoyable. We liked the pool table but thought it needed to be attended a little better. Didn't eat at the restaurant, but thought it looked beautiful. Yes the black lights in the hallway were strange but okay. Convenience of the hotel location was awesome. Pool and fitness rooms were not used by us. Not for children....in fact, why would anyone bring children to the French Quarter?

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel but would have been a little more fussy if we had payed full price. I think certain aspects of the hotel was a 4 star and other aspects were much lower. Still, I felt my expections were low and was pleasantly surprised.

The bergamot and amber scented oil was overpowering at times. The lobby area was too cold.

Room Tip: Canal Street is very noisy! Sirens, trolley, loud speakers, screaming, etc. Nice view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bnanas1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I read many review and I was worried about staying here for two nights. It turned out to be my best stay in new Orleans yet. My wife and I travel to new Orleans twice a year and we stayed at many different hotels. We stayed at 2 star to 5 star and nothing compared to this hotel. The staff was well trained and always assisted you. The valets knew many great places to dine and also told us about a few local spots. The room were very mondern and had a great view of canal street. The bar offered great live music and very good drinks.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Joker88
Reviewed June 13, 2012

In February 2012 (2 weeks before Mardi Gras) we stayed at the newly opened The Saint on Canal St. The location is perfect for exploring the French Quarter. But, if you are expecting an elegant, luxury hotel inside the lovely historic exterior, you will be disappointed. The interiors are very trendy ... in the lobby, flowing curtain sheers (not uniformly hemmed) which gave an ethereal quality, Restoration Hardware furnishings, a pool table and a lovely little bar with "gnome" cocktail tables. The halls to the guest rooms feature blue lighting and the rooms themselves are stark white and very "sleek". Interesting, but not luxury. Our stay, hopefully, was unique because the property had just opened ... the hotel staff was very friendly, but, it seemed, not experienced in the hospitality industry and the evening crowd for the bar was very young. The hotel also has a lovely little restaurant Sweet Olive which we didn't have time to enjoy. Overall, not what we had expected, but an enjoyable (training) stay. I would stay again, maybe!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Upon arrival, I was a little leery no valet out front and inside the music from the bar was so loud I could barely hear the desk clerk to check in. The one valet did come back and parked the car but it was a little confusing.
At first the curtains in the lobby and the blue lights in the halls seemed a little much but after being in the French Quarter all day, coming back to the blue and white room was a peaceful experience. We were on a long road trip and this bed was the most comfortable of our whole trip.
Great location for seeing the French Quarter and right on the street car line. Keurig in the room was nice.
Too bad the band was so loud both nights ,we would have enjoyed sitting and having a drink but it was not pleasant in the lounge. Good thing you couldn't hear it upstairs.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marion L
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My friends and I checked into the wait hotel and were at aw from the beginning. The front desk was a very friendly and knowledgable group who offered things like restaurant reservations and taxis before we even asked. The rooms were nice and spacious. The maids came by daily to see if we needed additional towels. It was fantastic! Next time I visit NoLa, Im 100% staying there!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank MrsFruitastic
Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We used points to stay June 7 - 10th. Our room was a nice change from the cookie cutter Marriott properties I stay in for work. Sure there were some minor issues, but I can pick apart every hotel room I check into. The only one worth mentioning was the recurring issue that the coffee K-cups were not replenished unless I made a call to the front desk.

The band in the hotel bar was way too loud and not that good. We moved to the lobby to escape, but it was too loud there too.

Elite members get free breakfast in the restaurant on weekdays. They did not inform me, I asked as it is a Marriott elite guarantee. The grits were incredible, the rest just okay.

The staff was friendly and helpful for the most part. They seemed a bit tentative with the guests.

The locations is great if your main purpose is Bourbon Street. The walk to Jeffererson Park, Cafe Du Monde and the French Market was a bit long.

Bottom line, we enjoyed the room and the novelty of the hotel decor. We would stay again, but will likely look further down Canal Street for our next visit.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less noise you will hear from Canal Street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bmann19
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Booked 3 nights for a bachelor party after reviewing several properties in the downtown area. I settled on this one due to the hotel being so new, it's proximity to everything, and being able to score it at only $159/night. Our party had 7 people, requiring 2 rooms, and this was also one of the few hotels I found that offered queen size beds as opposed to the standard doubles.

Arrived late on a Friday night and entered into the spacious lobby, which was a good first impression. Around the corner in the bar was a dimly lit area complete with live jazz music. I was told that we were the last of the hotel's "doubles" to arrive, so we were given rooms on the 4th and 7th floor, both interior facing. Though they had no view whatsoever, we didn't hear any of the street noise other reviews mention. Out rooms were quite large too, with plenty of room for everyone to spread out and put their bags. The room also had 2 chairs so everyone could sit without having to share space on the beds. Bathroom was very modern and everything (as pictures show) is done in white, from the chairs, walls, bedspreads, headboards, curtains, bathroom tiles, and yes, of course the towels. Being that the hotel is only 4 or 5 months old, this gave the room a very upscale and clean look, though I'm not sure how long the white will stand the test of time. Our room already had some red marks on the dresser, a visible coffee stain on the carpet, and some scuff marks from the little rope climbing man hung above the toilet in the bathroom.

From reading other reviews, the common theme as of late seems to be a lack of responsiveness from hotel management, but this was not visible at all in my 3 days here. At check-in, I asked about breakfast for being Gold, but was told no benefits on weekends. As consolation, I was given $15 in credit at the bar. Sure enough, after ordering drinks the next day, I asked the bartender to check and he took off $15 from our tab with no issues. We also had to call down for extra blankets one night. Not 10 minutes later, a knock at the door came and they were delivered. The front desk was also very willing to provide room keys for everyone in our party, and quick to give us late checkout when asked. Finally, though not always out front, the doormen were very good about getting doors and offering to help with directions. In short, this felt like a full-service hotel and management responded to every request that we had.

Not much else I can say - a very positive experience overall. I would definitely consider coming back here if future travels bring me to NOLA. Hopefully the rooftop bar will be open before long. Thats the only thing that could have topped my stay.

• Stayed June 2012