“Get treated like part of the family...”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #138 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Get treated like part of the family...”
Reviewed November 2, 2004

This is the third time in a year that I've stayed at St. Vincent's. I've always felt welcome, and now more like a part of the family.

My reservations were taken care of without a hitch, and my room was ready upon my arrival as requested.

I came from Minnesota where it was 40 degrees and arrived in NO to be greeted by record setting heat for this time of the year. My room hadn't been used the day before my arrival so I turned on the air as soon as I opened the door. It worked like a charm. I quickly pulled out my swimsuit and headed to the pool. It was clean and well maintained, and just what I needed to cool off.

The most wondeful thing about the St. Vincent's is the ambiance. The building, typical of others built in the same time period are wonderful to see. I know it's a constant battle to keep paint looking fresh, and the overall appearance spotless. The owner and housekeeping staff do their best to make your stay a pleasant one.

The FQ is a bit of a walk from St. Vincent's, but the street car is a few block walk and costs $1.25 per person each way. If you're not up for the street car or the walk the front desk staff are always more than happy to call a cab. A cab ride to the quarter costs about $6 each way, and I would suggest for anyone travelling at night in New Orleans (especially if you're like me and travel alone).

Kudos to Peter, Miss Eloise, Miss Jane, and all the staff for making my stay both pleasant and memorable.

I'll see y'all in the spring for French Quarter Fest.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2004

I'd booked my reservation through Loney Planet's website and had an email confirmation sheet, credit card deposit payment, etc. with me, but when I called to say my flight was delayed and I would be an hour later than expected, I was told they had NO record at all of my reservation. This may happen only on busy weekends but call and make sure your reservation is set several times before you go. Of course they had no rooms available that night, my tough luck. Chances are, if you're booking St. Vincent's, you're on a budget. If it's a Friday night, good luck finding a room elsewhere for under $100. Sadly, this has happened to me before with budget hotels in New Orleans---what can you do, sue them in small claims court for $30? I'm sure the hotel is fine but beware of reservation glitches, particularly if you are traveling from a distance and intend to sleep that night!

1 Thank Sphynxy

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Santa Fe,NM
Reviewed October 24, 2004

This place looks great on the website, but when you see your room, a dark reality will set in. The room was dirrrrrrrty. The carpet was matted with hair, dust and creepy crawlies. I discovered why when I borrowed the vaccum from the maid; the belt on her vaccum was broken, and has been broken for some time. After informing her of this she said "It work fine fa me". The bedspread had mystery stains on them. I remedied this however by discovering the unlocked hotel laundry room on the floor, where I washed all the bed linnens and covers. The cruddy AC unit in the room should have came with a legionarre's disease pamphlet. The pool is full of leaves, dirt, bugs and the urine of drunken patrons (NOT KIDDING). After requesting fresh towels on the second day of our stay, they were tied to the door handle in a plastic bag, however, another guest must have needed the towels more than us. When I went to retrieve the towels all that remained on the door handle was a tattered plastic bag. I could go on for several paragraphs, but why? Bottom line; stay elsewhere unless you want to get some rare fungal skin infection from this filthy place.

3 Thank Tincture77
Reviewed October 16, 2004

We really loved the place, because of its charming & oldfashioned atmosphere, with interesting history. Its location between downtown and uptown - very convienient! Very friendly staff. We got the best for the price !

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2004

I don't know what the people writing these hysterical reviews are used to, but frankly, I was really surprised to read some of their complaints.

My family (My parents, aunt & uncle, two brothers and kids and my daugher's dad) stayed in the St. Vincent for the weekend last year, booking a total of five rooms. I personally went to everyone's room and made sure that my family was being treated well. The rooms were all nice and looked like the pictures on the website. The bathrooms were updated and clean. I do think the towels could have been better but I've never gotten a hotel towel in my life that I've been excited about, even at the Four Seasons.

They gave my brother a room that was actually two rooms so that they had some privacy from their three kids. The a/c was good. Now, the a/c did go on the fritz in my aunt & uncle's room and when they couldn't repair it in an hour they moved them to another nice room. The pool was sparkling and we enjoyed that as well as sitting out on the big galleries (porches) and talking and meeting other guests when we weren't out doing stuff.

I would say that all hallways were not spotless but not gross. Old building, yes there were some spots on the paint. But nowhere was this place as gross and filthy as described previously. And termites and palmettos are a fact of life here, from the mansions to the ghettos, so seeing one or two is just about unavoidable.

The breakfast was good. Yes, it's the same offering every day. That is a ridiculous thing to complain about when you look at all the overpriced hotel food out there. When we were there they used china and silverware, all clean, and individually packaged butter and jelly, etc.

Neighborhood: If you think this is a bad neighborhood, best not to come to New Orleans AT ALL. People who do not live in integrated communities seem to take issue with the fact that New Orleans is not sanitized and whitened for your protection. Not everyone lives in a cookie-cutter bedroom community of tract homes flanked by strip malls and chain stores. This is a real neighborhood and it is about two blocks (that's called "walking distance" for all you suburban SUV junkies) from some very cute boutiques, etc. that should please the shopper types. I took my parents on a walk around the neighborhood and they are from a small town and were not put off. Some beautiful homes around there. And the coffee shop across the street is great.

As for walking distance to the FQ: I would say that this is a bit of a trek but not a false claim, and in any case the hotel is right on a bus line and three blocks from the streetcar for $1.25 each way, or you can get a cab.

Ignore the whining of a bunch of spoiled, insulated yuppie jerks or people who live for drama and get a reasonably priced room here, close enough to the French Quarter but in a quiet neighborhood. Or, stay at a generic or FQ hotel and pay three times the money for a tiny room in the noisy quarter where parking is overpriced hell. Or, fork over the serious bucks for a chichi jewel of a Garden District B&B like you see on Travel Channel and be done with it. This is a basic hotel with economical rates and fascinating historical charm.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2004

St Vincents is a genuinely wonderful place teeming with the unique charm and mystique of the Crescent City. P.S. please ignore the banter of the Arkie hotthead who never even stayed there in the first place. ...as if amidst traveling one never has had a mistaken charge show up on one's credit card secondary to computer error, good grief.
get a life.

• Stayed October 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2004

I'm definately surprised by the negative reviews of this hostel. I was there last summer and was surprised that for the price of a hostel, my sister and I not only had a room to ourselves, but a bathroom as well. It wasn't the nicest place I've ever seen, but for the money I thought they gave alot. It's not the absolute cleanest place either, but I didn't see anything disgusting. The history of the building is great and it's in a nice, quiet location ideal for both the Quater and the Garden District. I definately plan on staying here again, but if you're looking for something cute, cozy and romantic, look for a B&B somewhere else.

4 Thank Christina_Bryant