“ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!!!!”

Ranked #140 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Memphis, Tennessee
“ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!!!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. We had to stay here one night before going on a Carnival Cruise and I read the reviews before going and I thought I could stand it just one night. I WAS SOOOOO WRONG.
First when we got there, our room was already paid for and charged to my credit card but they told me I still had a balance because someone wrote the ticket up wrong???? So we went ahead and paid it just to get through the night.
So we went into the room they gave us and the reviews were RIGHT. The linen was filthy. Stains on the covers and sheets and the pillowcases. They were very old and nasty. I can understand a old building but you can at least buy some decent clean sheets and bedding. Thankful to those who left a review, we knew to take our own sheets and we felt like we could make it through the night.
So of course the dirty bedding makes you feel like everything else is nasty. I didn't want to touch anything. But every other hotel was booked so we had to stay here. So we decided to hang out at Harrah's casino until we were ready to go to bed.
When we returned to the room, it was extremely cold. We asked the front desk how to turn up the heat. She told us that they had given out all of the heaters. UNBELIEVABLE. A hotel with no heat. We had to sleep in all of our clothes and jackets and were still freezing. I went to the front desk again to ask if anything could be done. She said no. Later she brought another blanket and sleeping bag. So we used the sheets we had brought and still had to use their nasty blankets and we still froze all night. What a horrific night.
I suggest you DO NOT STAY HERE. We took a walk through the building and it is a nightmare. They had a dog running around freely and this other big room with some old things in it and the carpet was beyond nasty. I didn't even want to walk on it with my shoes on. I will never ever stay here again.
I didn't see any bugs except on the very top floor when we were walking around. But our room didn't have bugs and probably would have been more tolerable if we had some clean linen and towels and some heat. The towels may have been clean but look very very old. We didn't use them. We waited until we got on the cruise ship to shower. All I can say is believe the reviews. That's what they are there for. I will never make that mistake again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cruiser123456789
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I am shocked to read this review. Especially since I personally remember you as a guest as I checked you out the morning of your departure and offered you complimentary parking on our private lot while you were on your cruise. You were asked at that time how was your stay... How you fared in the cold snap that took all of us by surprise. Your response was simply "it was cold, but we enjoyed our stay." So I am certain that you can understand my utter shock to read this.

Relating to bugs... It was 40 degrees outside in the daytime - if you saw ANY kind of bug it was probably trying to come in to get some warmth. This is especially possible on the thrird floor as the door from the veranda sometimes is kept open.

All of these other complaints about dirty linens are simply absurd as the housekeeping team cleans and replaces linens in EVERY room upon checkout. They may have been a tad bit worn... But never, ever would there be dirty linens or towels placed in any room.

This is not a high priced luxury hotel. We are a small business. These types of reviews are not fair and can be harmful. If you had issues why did you not address them directly to me when we spoke? You seemed not to have any issues telling me about the toilet that needed to be plunged after you left the room. Would that not have been a time discuss any of this?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

If I could give this guest house a 0 I would - It is by far the most disgusting, unclean, unsafe and appalling accommodation I have had. The sheets were old and unclean, the roof was leaking, our toilet seat didnt fit the toilet, and the toilet leaked into the shower.
Bed bugs in the bed, and a hole in the wall.
DO NOT STAY HERE.
We stayed one night and got out as soon as we could the next morning, after sleeping fully clothed to avoid being eaten by bed bugs and touching god knows what.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Hannah M
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Ms. Hannah,

After reading your most recent review; I am compelled to answer your comments directly. The statements that you made were both harmful and exceptionally untrue. St. Vincent’s Guesthouse is NOT unsafe… We take pride in being in one of the best neighborhoods in the New Orleans area (The Lower Garden District) and our premises are monitored and deemed safe by our guests as well as the long term residents. If you have the chance, please check with the NOPD to see how few, if any reports are on record regarding the hotel and address.
I am not sure as to what you found that made you feel that the property was disgusting and appalling, however I would think if ANYTHING was of that great of a concern that you would have made the front desk staff aware of it immediately and not waited until you checked out for such comments.

In regards to the leaking toilet… Well, that ma’am is simply an effect of a building that is well over 100 years old. Upon you making our staff aware of the leak; maintenance personnel was sent to your room immediately and the issue was fixed. I know this simply because such occurrences are logged in our maintenance request book which is kept at the front desk. One of the things that you failed to mention in your review was that the room you stayed in was designed for handicap guests so the shower area in the restroom is adjacent to the toilet area to give accommodations for wheelchair access. So yes, a minor leak would have had the chance to run off into the shower area. However based on the report submitted by the maintenance person, the leak was contained around the toilet area.

The room that you were accommodated with was used to house a very high profile celebrity guest during the filming of the period film “The Butler”. During his stay there were no complaints, no issues and definitely no statements such as yours. That room is one of the best rooms on the property.

Lastly, The Guesthouse has been treated and maintains monthly treatments for bedbugs as a precautionary measure. If you have time to peruse the internet; you will find that bedbugs are a problem here in the U. S. for several hotel chains and even some of the high end luxury hotels as well. It is NOT an isolated issue and is being dealt with as swiftly and seriously as possible. Relating to the alleged bedbugs… After checking records, that room was treated two weeks before your arrival. It had been used a total of 11 times before you checked into it and there were no reports or problems.

I caution to think that you saw bedbugs in your room. Maybe you reviewed other previous posts and decided to add this to your complaints. St. Vincent’s Guesthouse is a mature hotel with a unique history and quaint persona. Yes; some of our furnishings and linens are older and in some cases may appear to be somewhat worn… BUT, never are they dirty or unsanitized. That simply is not true. I regret that you were so disappointed with your visit to our property. However, claiming untrue issues and making disparaging commentary is simply not fair. Again, I have to ask, if there were so many things wrong… Why did you not report your concerns immediately?

In the future, I suggest that if you have an issue or concern, that you alert the proper staff and give them the opportunity to make amends instead of waiting until after you return home to unleash such negativity.

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

West midlands, england
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is the worst hostel I have ever seen and that is saying something as I have stayed in some pretty bad places in Africa and South Asia. If you are thinking about staying here don't bother booking as they don't honor reservations. You may as well turn up and take your chances. I had payed online for a room but arrived to find they did not have a room for me. They gave the excuse that there was a leak which reading back on tripadvisor seems to happen to a lot of guests. I knew this beforehand so asked to see the room with the leak which they wouldn't do. The person at the reception admitted they they over book the rooms and then have to bump people. I was told there might be space in a dorm room shared with about 10 people. It was in terrible condition. There were black bin bags covering the mattresses! I would rather have slept on the street which I very nearly ended up doing.
I was lucky and managed to find a much better place for about 10 dollars a night more.
It seems that many other people have had similar experiences here.
If this is the only place available my advice is to bring a tent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank travellerbobm
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
As of December 1st, 2013 St. Vincent Guest House will be under new management,,,

We have read your review and are in the process of working with the Ownership to make the appropriate changes that are necessary to ensure that these types of issues are corrected and will not occur in the future.

Please understand that the property is well over 100+ years old and has not had renovations in quite some time. We take every review seriously and are working fervently to rectify each concern and bring St. Vincent's back to its prominence.

We have several plans underway to improve both the aesthetics and overall condition of the Guest House so that as we move forward into the 2014 season we will hopefully be able diminish negative commentary and present every guest with a reason to post positive reviews and feedback.

We thank you for your input and hope that you will give us the opportunity to showcase our changes so that on your next trip to the Great City of New Orleans, you will come and stay with us and enjoy your experience...

St. Vincent Guest House Management
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed November 16, 2013

From the moment my boyfriend and I arrived at St. Vincent Guesthouse we felt at home. The staff greeted us very freindly from the moment we came, and continued being sweet, polite and very helpfull during our stay. The building is marvelous, and has a exiting history, just walking down the stairs, looking at the pictures on the walls was an experience. The pool was simply amazing, and the outside areas very charming and inviting! Everything worked perfectly! Besides the Guesthouse itself, it is also worth mensioning that it has the best placement for any visitor of New Orleans! The bus to eather downtown or uptown is just by the house, and the street it is on, Magazine Street, quickly became our favorite with its cheep and good restaurants and great shopping possibilities. As the last remark let it be said, that we stayed at St. Vincent's Guesthouse for a month! It is definitely recomendable!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit your review and thank you for staying with us.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I don't know about you, but the reason I had always, always longed to visit New Orleans is because of all the descriptions I'd read of its fragile, crumbling decadence. Tennessee Williams, Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, Greg Herren and many others painted a picture in words of a once exquisite city, half in ruins, its spirit undeterred. That's what I wanted to experience and that's what I found in the St. Vincent Guest House this past May. We stayed there for eight nights and yes, I would do it again.

Is it the Sheraton? No. Can you imagine Williams leaning on the railing of the balcony that overlooks the massive interior courtyard of this former orphanage? Hell, yes. Can you picture Capote sitting at the table just inside the scrolling front gates? I did.

The price may clue you in to the fact that this is not a fancy hotel. The rooms are sparse but serviceable. This is a hotel that will feed your imagination while providing a place to catch some shut-eye and stash your stuff during those few hours when you are not out exploring the rest of New Orleans. You did come here for the rest of the city, right, not the hotel?

That said, it could use a few small fixes. A re-vamp of the onsite restaurant, which was a pizza joint during our stay; more light in the stairwells; a person at the front desk at all times; more consistent Wi-Fi; a simple map of the neighborhood that shows nearby amenities and their hours and how to get to the streetcar stop for anyone without a GPS app on their phone. (Be warned: it is a bit of a hike. Picturesque, but it must be factored into your plans.)

If you want a taste of what it is to live in this amazing city instead of being a spectator merely passing through it, stay at the St. Vincent Guest House.

Room Tip: Staying in the main building would keep you from needing to navigate the stairwells that connect the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nineveh6
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Hope you come back to see us!
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Look at everyones reviews, they all say this place is horrible! To make things worse they've charged me for nights i didn't even stay and now wont refund my card. Pathetic customer service. Stay around the corner at st Charles guesthouse. Really friendly owner and lots of character.

Room Tip: Stay at a different place
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Leroy_3333
Peter073040, Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2013

Please understand that the property is well over 100+ years old and has not had renovations in quite some time. The new management team is working on several areas of the hotel so that the concerns previously listed will no longer be an issue. We take every review seriously and are working fervently to rectify each concern and bring St. Vincent's back to its prominence.

St. Vincent Guest House Management
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Before coming, my boyfriend and I read all these negative reviews about St.Vincents Guesthouse, but decided to go anyways as there were negative reviews for all the places we read about. Remember, it's categorized as a budget guesthouse and it is not a HOTEL. We didn't know what to expect but we were blown away. It is SO beautiful! The rooms are old (yes) but it adds to the character of the house, which is enchanting! Our room was clean, with so much character. High ceilings, big window with beautiful curtains and a queen size very comfortable bed.
The staff was so friendly and very welcoming! And it's close, about a 20-25 minute walk to the French quarter. With access to buses and street cars if walking is not your thing.
We stayed for 4 nights and did not have one complaint throughout the stay. I will recommend this place to anyone going to New Orleans and will stay there every time I go back.
Great experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the second floor, was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Hope you come back and see us!
Thanks again.