St. Vincent's Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Prytania Oaks Hotel(New Orleans)
Prytania Park(New Orleans)
View Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
Avenue Plaza Resort(New Orleans)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgarden districtchain hotelhigh ceilingsfew blocksbackpackersstreetcaruptown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This guest house is one of the worst in New Orleans. Room are decent but a bit dirty. Quality of service is bad and you have the feeling someone is trying to cheat you. Suggested if you want a cheap option but do not stay more than one night and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jimmy L
Peter073040, Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

As of December 1st, 2013, St. Vincent Guest House will be under new management,,,

We have read your review and are in the process of working with the Ownership to make the appropriate changes that are necessary to ensure that these types of issues are corrected and will not occur in the future.

Please understand that the property is well over 100+ years old and has not had renovations in quite some time. With two major storms that have hit New Orleans within the last few years, many areas and buildings are still trying to recoup... We take every review seriously and are working fervently to rectify each concern and bring St. Vincent's back to its prominence.

We have several plans underway to improve both the aesthetics and overall condition of the Guest House so that as we move forward into the 2014 season we will hopefully be able diminish negative commentary and present every guest with a reason to post positive reviews and feedback.

We thank you for your input and hope that you will give us the opportunity to showcase our changes so that on your next trip to the Great City of New Orleans, you will come and stay with us and enjoy your experience...

St. Vincent Guest House Management

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This first mistake I made when making a reservation at this hotel was not reading the reviews. If I would have read the reviews first I would not have booked a room. My daughter, 18 month old grandson and I booked a room today due to my grandson having surgery at childrens hospital tomorrow. The check in process took a long time because the desk clerk took care of incoming calls instead of waiting on us. After finally getting checked in we went to our room to find the a/c was off and being in a very hot and humid climate in August was very uncomfortable and the a/c was too small to cool the room. My grandson started playing on the carpeted floor and we soon noticed his knees and feet turned black from the filthy floor and we noticed several whelps on his back, chest, arms and legs from bug/flea bites. I immediately took my grandson to the check in desk and showed the desk clerk the black dirt on my grandson's feet and legs and the bug bites. He took pictures too so he could show the manager why I was checking out after being there only a short time.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank CJN_TRAVELER
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Upon your arrival at 3:30 pm, you told us that when you went to your room you took a nap for approx. an hour . Your grandson seemingly with down syndrome crawled along the floors and out onto the balcony which is unconscionable. No adults were present or conscious at least so that we could alert them to the danger. At approx. 6:30 pm, you came to the front desk and said you wanted a different room, we showed you the Bruce Willis room and the Morgan Freeman room, you declined both since we didn't have the air on already to cool the room. We also informed you it only takes approx. 15 minutes to cool the room and that we don't leave the window units on.. you still declined and left the property.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was just reminiscing with my husband about our wedding anniversary last year and how we spent it, and the main part we remember is this dump and how it wrecked it for us. This was our very first trip to New Orleans and a first for a bed & breakfast, and thanks to this place it will be our last for both. The pictures they have of their "so called" bed & breakfast online are VERY inaccurate and does not describe this place at all. I did not expect the Hilton, however I was in for a rude awakening with this place.

The horror in summary because this story would take to long:

- Rude Staff (ALL OF THEM)

- Room doors that do not lock, some do not unlock

- No refund policy (It was not on the wall when we arrived, we pointed it out when we asked for one and he went to the office and then placed the sign on the wall behind the counter)

- Roaches, Roaches, Roaches, oh and did I mention Roaches

- Mice

- Holes in the ceilings of the rooms, with wires hanging from them

- Cigarette burns on carpet and linens (Did not move the blankets to look at the sheets or mattresses)

- Carpet stains everywhere on the carpets

- Odor in the lobby, hallways, and rooms

- Pool was green, it resembled more of a swamp than a pool

- NASTY NASTY BATHROOM

Bottom line was this place was more of a horror story than a romantic B&B the way the pictures made us think it was. We thought we were viewing a great piece of New Orleans history, I wouldn't even recommend a homeless person staying here their chances are better on the streets for better accomodations. I wanted to sleep in the car but I was remembered that being a tourist in an unknown place could cause issues so the car was not the safest place to sleep. We stayed away from the room for as long as possible each day until we absolutely had to sleep, and each day we took ALL of our belongings with us for fear of bugs getting in our stuff and theft. We left a day earlier because I was so unhappy and when I returned home I showered a couple of times and washed any and everything that had made it's way into that room.

Room Tip: CHOOSE ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!! That is the best advice I can give to anyone looking to visit New Orleans.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ltsharr

Thank you again for another review. How many times are you going to reminisce? This review is another year old. I remember your party as well, we called it the Wedding Party from hell that complained about everything and thought they were getting the- Taj Mahal for 50 dollars per night.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

As an Australian traveling around the U.S.A some years ago, I stumbled upon this guest house by chance and stayed on for a couple of months. "St Vinnies" has an old rustic southern feel matched by warm and friendly staff. In particular, Peter , the manager went out of his way to help a struggling artist passing through. If you want a 5 star hotel, then there are plenty down town, you'll pay a fortune and will end up in yet another ' soulless clinic'
I have nothing but fond memories of St Vincents......from the lady working in the laundry with old blues playing in the background, to warm evenings spent with new friends out on the lawn.
You know you are in NOLA when you stay here.

Room Tip: Inspect room first, politely voice any, if any concerns. Relax and enjoy
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael B
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us. We really appreciate it. Let me know when you're coming to visit again. Would love to see you.
Cheers
Peter

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The reviews are real, this place is disgusting. They don't clean rooms out after previous tenants, no new linens or towels, we had mass cockroaches in our room, cigarette burns in the bed spread and carpet, stains on all of the fabric. Oh did I mention the establishment regularly hosts prostitutes and their customers.

I tried to be optimistic when reading reviews, some people made it sound okay... I promise you, it's not. We booked for 5 days and left after 1. Disgusting. Disgusting. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Stay literally anywhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank macrva
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for pointing out these deficiencies.
Housekeeping washes the linens thoroughly and the stains look like it may be bleach. We do have an industrial dryer on property and find that often the lint traps are not cleaned out consistently and leaves specs on the linens.
Regarding the cigarette burns, I would say that this was overlooked as sometimes our housekeeping staff is small and overloaded with rooms.
We are in the process of correcting these inadequacies now.
Also, we regret that your stay was not pleasant.