“Stayed here for 4 nights during st.patricks day”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #138 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Boca Raton, Florida
“Stayed here for 4 nights during st.patricks day”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. Great location and close to everywhere i wanted to go. i stayed in my own room and i loved the purple room as it was very festive for new orleans. nice people at the front and friendly guests. i will for sure be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We appreciate your comments and hope you stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
NYC
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at St Vincent's on Apr. 24 thru Apr. 26, 2013 (room reserved through Hostelworld).
When I was reserving a room (approximately 5 days before I was to arrive in New Orleans), I found that most places in the town were already filled and those that were not filled were charging outrageous prices (eg. International House. I did go to the bar at International House one evening and can definitely recommend the bar). True, I had left everything till the last minute. However, St Vincent's still had rooms available.
I did a little research online before booking the room and read some horrible reviews (and also some very good reviews) and went ahead and booked the room. Some of those bad reviews had mentioned poor security, bed bugs, botched reservations, cockroaches, rodents....So, it was with a little apprehension when I booked my room.
I confirmed my reservation first by email and also by phone. St. Vincent's did send me a return email to confirm and I was also able to speak to the person in charge of reservations (Kristy).
After driving 20 hours from New York City, I arrived at around 3 pm and was checked into my room by Kristy. (I was in room 4 of the main building). I gratefully took a quick shower and walked down to Lafayette Square to meet my friends who were already down there enjoying some live music and multiple alcoholic drinks. I left one of my cameras (I brought 2 cameras with me) in the room at St. Vincent's in my luggage bag. (Be aware that there is no safe in the room to lock up your valuables). In the three days I stayed there, nothing happened to my camera.
I never saw a live cockroach (even though I did see cockraches on the sidewalks of the city but never in the hostel), was never bitten by a bed bug. The room was quite clean. There was a little dust around the edges but it wasn't dusty enough to cause me to sneeze. (I'm prone to sneezing whenever there is dust but I did not have any sneezing episodes while staying at St Vincent's).
There were clean sheets and towels. (The sheets are not of the highest quality so if you are used to luxury type super smooth sheets, you definitely should bring your own). The bathroom was very large and the room itself was very large.
Lenny, Kristy and Brandie were all helpful and made my stay very enjoyable. The neighbourhood where the hostel is located is great. On the next street, Camp Street, which is parallel to Magazine Street, there is a park and a school. Parking is freely available in the hostel parking lot. True, it is not a new room and there is a slight musty smell. But for me, the plusses far outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: I stayed in a private room in the main building. (room 4). I read somewhere that it was noisy by 9am...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We do read all reviews and appreciate your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2013

. . . then this is an exceptionally good choice for lodging. I love New Orleans, and was visiting with a friend who'd never been. I wanted somewhere affordable, interesting, and in a location in which I was comfortable and from which we could get everywhere we wanted to go painlessly. St. Vincent's was all those things. It's pretty worn down, and extremely basic, but we weren't in New Orleans for sleeping or for lounging in fluffy towels or robes all day.

The bedding is not overly comfortable, but it suffices for a few hours while you recharge. The bathroom was completely adequate and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful, and is made up of wonderful characters--I loved the little conversations we had in passing. There are both hostel set ups and hotel rooms, which is smart. We like a lot of character in our hotels, but I'm not a kid anymore, and I loved that I could get a private room and bathroom for under $60 a night in between two festival weekends. The pool looked unusable. There's a pizzeria on the ground floor, but we're from Chicago, so we didn't try it--we were here for New Orleans cooking.

The building is pretty amazing. It's old, and it was an infant asylum--the hallway to the ancient elevator is lined with historic photos and some really cool bronze sculptures. There's a parking lot for $5 a night, but we found street parking with ease every time we returned, and despite what a lot of reviews have said, the neighborhood is not scary. I felt completely safe leaving my car on the street and walking to and from Mojo Coffee House across the street in the wee hours (but again, I'm from Chicago--it takes some sketch to make me nervous). The place is on Magazine Street--walking west (southly) will take you past some great shopping and houses, and will lead you to an honest to god legit deli (Stein's Deli) that we went to twice, we loved it so much. It's a cheap cab ride to the Quarter and Marigny, or you can hop on the St. Charles street car (like four blocks away) for a buck twenty-five and head east to the lunacy of Bourbon Street or west to Uptown. Surrey's Cafe and Juice bar is a block and a half away, as well--there are few better breakfasts/brunches in the city.

Altogether, despite the lack of luxury and the worn-in feel of the place, or maybe because of those things and everything I wrote above, I would come back here in a heartbeat. I definitely know people, as I am sure you do, who would not do well here, but why would you be traveling with them on purpose?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We read each review and are interested in all comments posted.
The Netherlands
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is old, has the look of a Victorian house. Everything is a bit out of time and has the look of a recombined scraps of things. The shower is a kind of plastic box, where you stand in. We found okay for one night, but we did not want to stay longer at St. Vincents. The area around the hotel is not really trustworthy. We were therefore pointed out by the receptionist, that when it got dark, we had to take a taxi to go anywhere. The pool was dirty, so we did not got in there. Breakfast was poor, not tasty in any way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We read each review and take deep interest in all the comments.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights before travelling home. During this time I too had some 'burst pipe' story and needed to change rooms. I saw cockroaches both dead and alive in the room, and bed bugs. It was a total shambles and I now have a very expensive bug problem to deal with at home. Won't be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Jessielou22
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Jessie Lou
For the past 3 months we have been operating at almost 100 percent capacity in our dorms and private rooms due to special events, spring break, etc etc. We researched our reservations and can find no evidence of your stay, perhaps Jessie Lou is your pen name. We did have a large group from Kenya stay with us during this period and your profile and picture somewhat matches. Please note that we have had no formal complaints for bed bugs during the time you claimed you stayed with us. We are puzzled by your statement that you saw bed bugs, but never reported them. As you know, New Orleans is in a tropical climate and when things warm up in the spring, all types of insects appear, ie mosquitoes, roaches, fleas, flying termites etc etc. We are in the tropics and this is a way of life. Our property is 2 and 1 half acres open to lawns, foliage, open porches, etc and we are thus exposed to all of the above. We have our pest control in place as this is a necessary evil.
Regarding bed bugs, these are not home grown, they are transmitted and carried by travelers such as yourself who unknowingly will pick them up in previous lodging establishments, public transportation vehicles etc etc. We even do not know your previous itinerary or your means of transportation to our facility. Also, it is extremely difficult to identify bed bugs from other minute pests such as baby roaches, etc etc. When you claim that you saw bed bugs, we are wondering what you really saw. Do you have evidence of any bites and resulting medical treatment? You can well understand that an accusation of bed bugs is very detrimental to someone’s business and statements made without foundation are completely libelous. We respectfully ask you to contact us and give us the room number you stayed in to where we can have the room professionally treated in case what you saw is true. Please keep in mind that since your so called departure, we have rented all of our rooms with no complaints. Please contact me at diannepeterschreiber@earthlink.net.
Yours truly,

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was a little wary of the place, having read some bad reviews, but I have a friend who stayed at St. Vincent's last year and had nothing but good things to say about it. The place isn't perfect -- I'm pretty sure the elevator is older than my mother -- but I found it charming, and everyone I met, from the staff to the other guests, was very friendly. It's a funky little place where the staff and long-time guests seem like family. There was a sign on the check-in desk saying that the on-site laundry was no longer available to guests, and that was kind of a bummer, but there are local laundromats located close by. The parking lot is a great amenity, since parking in New Orleans can be impossible, and the coffeehouse across the street is fantastic. I did see a couple of bugs while I was there -- but it's the South. There are bugs. For 50-some-odd dollars a night, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and choosing St. Vincent's for your stay
Stonington, CT
Reviewed April 18, 2013

stay away. Don't get drawn in by the low room rates. Just like the old adage: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is".
I booked a room for 9 nights a couple of weeks in advance of my arrival, and the booking was made through a reservation service.
I called the front desk late the night before my scheduled arrival just to make a human connection and to confirm my reservation was in their books. I was assured we were on the same page regarding my reservation.
Upon arriving the next evening around 7:30 pm, I was told they couldn't accommodate me due to a "broken water main". I received no notification of this issue during the day of my arrival, and when asked why, I was treated to a pathetic story about how busy they'd been all day.
Apparently, "broken water main" is code for "we overbooked, and you're screwed". This was verified by another, much more honorable and local B&B innkeeper. One need not be adept at reading the face of a liar when interacting with St. Vincent's desk clerks.
Do yourself a favor, and scratch this place off your list. Forget it even exists. There are plenty of other trustworthy and reputable establishments in New Orleans. Pay $10 or $15 more per night, and rest easy in the Big Easy.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, avoid St. Vincent's, and find another B&B.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tulip2go
St. Vincent’s Guest House has for years funneled their overflow business to the smaller B&B’s in the area including St. Charles Guest House. We have literally sent tens of thousands of bookings over the years to keep this establishment alive. We recently suspected however, that our guests were being completely overcharged and taken advantage of. We are happy that you at least found the St. Charles Guest House honorable etc etc. Please however note the review on the St. Charles Guest House site below your glowing endorsement wherein their guests called the St. Charles Guest House a “RATE HOLE” and were taken advantage of during peak times and charged 400 dollars per night. We have severed our relationship with this dishonorable Mr. Dennis run establishment and will no longer send any business his way.