“We had a great experience! Wonderful staff! Awesome property!”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #141 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My partner and I stayed at St. Vincent's Guest House for five days, starting on July 4, 2012. This is both of our first time to stay in a hostel. We did have a private room. Our room was large, with a huge bathroom. The TV, microwave and AC worked great. I knew we were not walking into a high end hotel. We chose to spend 5 days in New Orelans and experience the city vs 1 day in a nice hotel. Our experience at St Vincent's was great. The people there are wonderful and want to help, assist, and provide any info you ask for. The cafe is cute, lots of great food and drinks. We used the WiFi without any issues. I will agree the place could use a few million in repair, but then our budget would only have allowed us to stay there 1 day. The property is awesome. The location is wonderful. The employees make the place. I wish they gave tours of the building!
SUMMARY
If you want to experience New Orleans in a hostel / low priced room this is a great stay.

Room Tip: We stayed above the office in the first building and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BWM324
There are newer reviews for St. Vincent's Guest House

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here recently hoping for the best after reading all the negative reviews. First off, the front desk staffer, Lenny, deserves a raise. Despite constant complaints from guests, he remains super accomodating and cheerful. He bent over backwards to right the countless wrongs after we checked in... inadequate linens/towels, no wastebasket, missing fridge/microwave/TV that was promised, and a roach-infested room. OK, the roaches in New Oreans are immune to canned spray. You have to get a hotel staffer to spray your room repeatedly with smelly, probably toxic industrial strength stuff. Yuck.

The free parking is a great perk so close to the French Quarter and the Lower Garden District location is excellent. Beware leaving anything in your car or visible in the parking lot because it WILL be stolen. Bring it into your room. There's a low-end housing project adjacent. That being said, Walmart is a 10 minute walk away and a great place for groceries and beer. Mojo coffee shop across the street is great. Angel Cafe on the premises had a few diners but a hippyish feel with scruffy workers, also living onsite. They blare loud music in the evenings that can be heard all over the courtyard and hallways. Very obnoxious.

In our room, the old green carpet was filthy beyond words and stunk of smoke. It turned our feet BLACK after showering and had cigarette burns in it. Tear it up and replace with cheap tile for God's sake! There were great floor to ceiling windows in the rooms, but once again, they were filthy and the draperies, which were probably lovely a few decades ago, stunk, were stained and also had roaches LIVING in the folds!!! UNacceptable. Wash the darn things!
Our TV was absolutely filthy too. It hadn't been wiped down in years apparently. Really? We bought a bottle of 409 and basically sprayed down everything in the room, doing housekeeping's job for them. Where do they find these people?

The wicker headboard was filthy, needed to be spray painted (how hard is that?) and once again, a home for roaches. We had the maint. guy just remove it from the room entirely! We woke up with large flying roaches crawling on us and didn't want to turn the lights out at night for fear of being crawled on. The sheets and towels were clean for the most part but old, worn, mis-matched and thin. Bring your own.

The deadbolt and chain on our room door were new, which was good because if we left the door cracked to air out the room stench, some VERY sketchy "guests" would practically walk in trying to bum cigarettes, phone chargers, etc. We dont even smoke. All the staffers appear to live on the premises and while most are nice, many are down and out. After hours we witnessed some loud, drunken scenes after the off-duty employees had congregated around the pool imbibing until the wee hours. Loud, tearful fights and drama ensued... scary. We didn't want to leave the room. One of the live-in housekeeping women has a horrible attitude and an "it's not my job... go ask the front desk" attitude. There was also a very nice older black woman who was accomodating for housekeeping requests.

The pool was a nice amenity, and had adequate chairs, tables etc and a grill area, but like everything else at this place, it was filthy and the pumps were broken throughout our stay. It's a salt water pool but the water was flourescent green... looked very toxic. They would dump chemicals in it and it would clear up to a weird bluish color for a few days then return to the greenish sludge color. I wouldn't dare get in. A maint. guy said it was broken and they seemed to always be tweeking it. Sad since a well-maintained pool could be such a relief in the hot N.O summertime, and many places dont have them...

The building itself is amazing and cool. Great "bones" and an amazing history. This place could be such a charming hotel instead of a filthy hostel if only the owner, Peter would reinvest his money in the place. He needs to watch Hotel Impossible because he's guilty of ALL the things that show lists to sabatoge a great property. He rolls up in his phat Mercedes a few times a week, micro-manages for a few hours, counts his money, glad hands a few guests, and then departs. Sad really... with some fresh paint, tile to replace ALL the nasty carpet, new linens, clean mattresses, some minor cosmetic repairs (rotten wood/old fixtures) and decor uniformity across the rooms, he could charge 3 times what he's getting now, pay for it all and be sold out year round. One room at a time... obviously not a priority and neither are good reviews. Oh well... just stay somewhere else.

There is a big, double-doored, mostly unused room off the hallway near the lobby. It is beautiful and has such potential. Once again, it could be rented out for functions or used as a wifi/computer/media/workout room... limitless possibilities if they ever cleaned up the place.

My advice... stay in the French Qtr. at the Prince Conti hotel. It's a CLEAN. elegant, marvelous old hotel with small rooms but GREAT prices... plus FREE breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank AnyPlace2012
Reviewed July 11, 2012

As they say, you get what you pay for. The pictures from the website are very misleading, because the bedroom I got did not look half as good as the ones on the website. The room was run down, burnt and torn curtains, comforter looked like it was at least 10 years old. The carpet was old, the waste basket sat in a hole in carpet. The ensuite bathroom, was not much better. The cleanliest thing in the whole room was the toilet. I had a nice surprise of roaches in the bathroom when I went to use it at night. I should have known when I say the can of Raid on top of the closet. Was supposed to stay there 2 nights, but after the first, I stayed out the whole next night to avoid sleeping there. The staff is friendly, but as far as my room, which was room 30, I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 30 has roaches.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank NicMor6680
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a rather large wedding in New Orleans planned and about 15 different family members needed a inexpensive place to stay for 7-10 days. I was a late show, so I didnt get to experience the "Holy Cow" moment when you walked in the door. I was forwarned. When I went to check in, I noticed the stairs that were cracked, the hand rail was litterally falling off its hinges, and the entire front lobby had a stale smell. I checked in and was shown to the second floor. I had the better room out of the 8 that were rented by us. I didn't have dirty carpets, I had an actual closet and my bathroom was relatively clean with no bugs. My family didn't get so lucky. They made an immediate stop to Walmart, to purchase, Raid, Extra Towels, Cleaning Supplies and bug traps. They put them all to use.

I was terrified about sleeping by myself so I bunked with my two Aunts. Each night, I made them go into the room first, check for roachs and other various bugs. Can we say disgusted? There were quite a few homeless/crack head/ strange individuals staying at the orphanage. I never felt safe..at all.

Delta Angel is there so called restaurant on site. Please explain how an near empty kitchen with a table cloth on a table is moving eratically entirely on its own. ROACHES...There is no grading system in New Orleans.

The 6th day we were at the hotel an older family member of mine (75) noticed a leak in the ceiling. The leak turned into a down poor, which turned into the entire ceiling in room 4 to come crashing down, missing him by a foot. I'm not exagerating by saying, all 15 of us checked out in one swoop. I didn't request a refund, I didnt even care at that point.

We all checked into the Hampton In at a cost of $109 per night for the remainder of our stay.

The worst hotel, I have ever stayed in..If you can even call it that.

Room Tip: Do Not Go!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank kimrleon843
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Not the prettiest place but really fair price for a double room. The bed was good, there was enough room for our stuff and the bathroom was clean. The staff was friendly and the internet worked perfect. The kitchen was unfortunately closed at the time. Magazine Street has great food options and you can walk to the tram and take it easily to the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank victorialhw
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I kn ow, I know.. it is grimy. Some hookers might stay there.. The pool is never clean. I'm too afraid to eat the food at the little restaurant inside but, I love this place. First off, it's a hostel, not a hotel. Second, there are not many hostels that offer you your own room with a TV and your own bathroom with towels. The history of it is cool and spooky. The people at the front desk are slow and honest. This place is just New Orleans in a nut shell for me. The bones of the hostel are beautiful (like a lot of New Orleans). It's close to a lot of stuff. It's right next to the bus stop to get to downtown and the French Quarter. If you don't like the bus, cabs are always around. We always stay here and we have never had roaches in the bed or bedbugs or anything. The staff is very polite. We did once have a roach in the bathroom but, if you know New Orleans, even the nicest places will get a roach. My hubby and I love coffe and there is a coffe house right across the street called, "Mojo". It's great! Voodoo themed and just wacky like a real coffee house should be. Love it.

Room Tip: Book online at 25 dollars a person as opposed to 30-75 a night if you pay at the hostel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank klinkker
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Long story short: DO NOT STAY HERE! Water leaked through the ceiling and onto our bed. Manager is a witch. It's an old orphanage and were told by the maintenance man that this place is haunted! Bugs and cockroaches in the beds. $10 deposit for the keys (which they didn't return). The only good about this place was the location. Magazine St. Close to cool food places but it's still $10 in a taxi to bourbon st.

AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

• Stayed: April 2012