“Don't believe the hype!”
Review of Mondo

Mondo
Ranked #481 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Description: This is famed New Orleans chef Susan Spicer's new restaurant. It is more casual and family oriented than her original, Bayona. The food is just as excellent, but less expensive and formal
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Don't believe the hype!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This restaurant is part of a thriving corridor through Lakeview on Harrison Ave. My wife and I were quite excited to see it open up a couple of years ago. However, due to mixed reviews by some trustworthy peers, I had, till recently, stayed away.

Recently I took my mother out for lunch, and we were glad to (a) eat somewhere in the area, and (b) eat outside, and (c) try somewhere new.

From the beginning, the service was awful. The tables were not set properly. Our waiter was M.I.A. for most of the meal, and would take more than 10 mins to bring anything, be it ice for tea, extra napkin, refills, what-have-you.

He failed to read the daily specials to us, though he gladly volunteered the info for the trio sat down after us.

When he finally took our order, his first response was, "No appetizers?!?"

We waited over 30 minutes to receive 2 entrees (hamburger and meatloaf w/ baked macaroni). He came outside only one time to check on us during that period, and then...the party that was seated about 10 mins after us received their meals first.

Our waiter didn't even serve our meal, and never came back out to ask how it was. We never saw him again until we were done with our really poorly-done meals.

The burger tasted as though there was more salt than meat. It was quite overdone (for a medium) as well. The meatloaf was decent, but again, too salty (and I love salty foods!). Honestly, the quality was barely above that of a Hamburger Helper meal in a box.

Then his response when I requested the check (almost 90 mins after getting there):

"No dessert?"

It was a MAJOR letdown! We were not even thanked on the way out. The attitude alone would keep me away from the place, but the food was unimpressive enough to ensure that alone.

2 lunches, one of which was barely edible: $36, with no alcohol or apps.

My tip truly reflected the experience, and I will certainly stay away in the future.

• Visited June 2013

Brooklyn, NY
“Don't Pass Up The Smoked Chicken Stuffed With Boudin”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Dinner was excellent at this out of the way spot (Lakeview). Had the fried green tomatoes with crawfish remoulade sauce too. Cheery atmosphere, friendly service.

• Visited May 2013
New Orleans
“Our favorite neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family has been eating at Mondo since it opened. We love it. The food has been consistently good and so has the service. I also go there with larger groups (10-15 persons) and they have a raised seating area at the rear of the restaurant that is always a great spot for us.
Susan Spicer is a very innovative chef and Jenni Lynch runs the place well. Susan has a lot at stake here since she lives in the neighborhood and many of the customers know her. The prices are reasonable and many choices for different dietary preferences. This is the place I take my out of town visitors also - so they can experience an elegant restaurant frequented mostly by locals.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank NewOrleansHotelProf
Miami Beach, Florida
“Worth a special trip”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

It's a little out of the way but definitely worth finding. Chef Susan Spicer brings her considerable culinary expertise to casual dining, heavy on international comfort food (burgers, wood-oven pizzas, chicken curry, meat loaf, etc.) and produces moderately-priced perfection. Manager Jenni Lynch runs a tight ship and avoids service problems that plague Spicer's other restaurant. Our server Jamena was fantastic.

Visited March 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Restraurant Gone Bad”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Mondo used to be one of our favorite Restraurants for Sunday Brunch. When we were seated we noticed the new menu. The server informed us that they have a new chef and the staff had not tasted the new offerings.

We had hamburgers that were mediocre, steak and eggs which were merely okay, and a beef potato hash that was terrible.
One of the hamburgers was served medium rare, it was ordered well done.

It took a long time to be served.

We will wait until this problem is corrected before returning.