“Great place and price for NOLA”

Federal City Inn & Suites
Ranked #73 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here with family for first trip to NO. Room was clean, spacious, and had a sufficient kitchen area with dorm size refrigerator, microwave, dishes, etc. First time I stayed in a hotel where actual room seemed larger than what the brochure photo depicted. I want cleanliness, safety, and a good price, and this hotel came thru on all 3 fronts.
A bit out of the way, internet address did not show up on GPS, but after calling hotel we were given another street address which took us straight to hotel. Neighborhood was quiet, plenty of parking, and employees were helpful. Asked the ladies at the front desk about dining options and they referred us to a great little place (Tout de Suite) in Algiers Point.
Free ferry to Canal Street was about a mile away. We parked at ferry, paid the $10 parking fee, rode across the river in 5 minutes and spent the day at French Quarter, etc. Much better option than having to find parking in the Quarter which is very expensive. Only drawback is ferry stops running early in the evening--around 6 or 7 pm the nights we were there.
It took us about 10-15 minutes to get to French Quarter from hotel by driving across bridge. If ferry was open late, I would take it every time and forget driving.
Price was great, and it was quiet overall. Rooms were cleaned every day, but you must request fresh towels if you want them. I would have preferred a continental breakfast, and just a refrigerator and microwave, since we do not cook a lot when travelling, but kitchen area is good for those who want to cook a bit. There is no elevator, but we requested ground floor when booking, so no problem. The only thing which did not impress me was the pillows--I like ones with better support.
Watched the fireworks on New Years Eve from ferry, looked like the whole town showed up for that, just a mile away and took only a couple of minutes to get there.
Overall, great place to stay and very good price for NOLA. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Iloveatrip
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Good Afternoon,

My staff and I would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to New Orleans and the Federal City Inn & Suites. Would also like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.
I would like to apologize for you not receiving towel when your room was cleaned and have addressed your comments with our housekeeping staff. If you were here during Christmas We do give our housekeeping staff off on Christmas day to show our appreciation for theor hard work.
I am also glad to here that you were pleased with all other aspects of your stay and hope that we get the opportunity to serve you and your family again the next time you visit the New orleans area.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I come to NOLA several times a year for work and play. During Voodoo Fest weekend and all the chaos, I chose this location for the quiet location to rest for my 14 hour drive home. First the location is great, minutes to various attraction by car or cheap cab ride, Rooms are a bit dated but clean, free parking, free wifi, and kitchen. Great safe and quiet location on former military base, but the hotel is another story. The walls felt like they were made of paper. I was able to hear every chatter, EVERY door slam, and some kind of police activity in the hallway at 1 am. It also seemed strange that at 0745-0830 people started to mow the lawn and weed wack right outside our window, at a hotel with a noon checkout. I called the front desk and was informed the service is done by the city and the hotel had no control. It was a very sleepless night and a very exhausting ride home. My experience was average at best, however with the sleepless night I must be the first to give this a poor personal experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank paulu2000

Good afternoon,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on a review on your stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites in November.
I would like to offer my apologies on this not being a succcessful stay. VooDoo fest is turning into another large music festival for the city of New Orleans and it can be a little loud. We are taking steps to eliminate as much noise as possible form the doors when we perform a refurbishment later during the year.
The police action you referenced was the New Orleans Fire Department responding to an alarm as someone had burned popcorn in their room and set off the smoke detector in their room. For the safety of all guests the Fire Department will respond to all alarms.
Once ahgain please accept my sincere apologies and would hop that you would give us another chance on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Pleasantly surprised. We don't usually consider a two star, but the guest review was so high, the price was right, and we were an hour out from NO. Seemed a little weird at first since it was in the middle of a closed down Navy base, but it also felt very safe with all the open land around. I understand the Marines still have some sort of presence there, […] part of the reason the hotel is still open. Anyway, it was immaculate, huge room with two queen beds, kitchen, easy chair and ottoman, flat screen tv, table and chairs, desk, etc, all in very good condition. It's located about 1 1/2 miles from the free ferry that takes you across to the riverwalk area. We opted to take the ferry over and back during the day to avoid paying for parking. The last run was around 8;00PM, took some time to relax at the hotel, then drove back and parked to enjoy some of the night life. The only negative for some might have been the fact that it's 2 stories, and no elevator. Not an issue for us, and the gentleman at the desk offered to carry our luggage up if it was a problem. Chances are, if it were an issue there are plenty of rooms and probably easy enough to get a ground level. Staff was very nice. As you drive off the base, the surrounding area is very mixed, and we actually enjoyed driving around the Algiers area and seeing some of the older bungalow homes that have been so nicely restored

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if you can't do a flight of stairs
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ttime222
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Good Afternoon,
I wish to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a comment about your recent stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites. My staff and I pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms and service.I am overjoyed that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and will share your experience with our staff. We also look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit to the New Orleans area.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Clean, big rooms with double bed, double sink, bathroom and kitchenette. Good value for your money, great staff at reception. You can take the free ferry to the city and come back to have a quiet night in this hotel.
One downside: the cleaning team was knocking at our door from 8 a.m.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rattenpakker

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post your comments on Tripadvisor. My staff and I take pride in our hotel and I am glad that we have met and exceeded your needs. I have spoken to our housekeeping staff about being a little more discreet on their claening schedule to give our guests more time to relax in the morning. We do hope to serve you and your family/friends on your or their next vist to the Crescent City.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

It is a pretty good deal for its price. Two queen-sized beds AND a kitchenette for a very reasonable price. The room was excellent, clean, and everything that was supposed to work did. Even had ironing boards.

The staff were really excellent and polite! They were helpful the many times I had to approach them. There was a tourist-friendly map of the French Quarter at the front desk which I found helpful. Water-cooler right beside the front desk as well. Food isn't easy to find here, so you might need to turn to pizza delivery. The walls seemed a little thin, I had a bit of trouble sleeping on one night with noisy neighbors across the hallway. But that was just one night, so. I have to agree with another reviewer that the biggest drawback to this is the location. It really isn't where all the action of NOLA is.

Here are my recommendations/observations:

- If you drive, this hotel is excellent for you, because you can choose to drive from the hotel and park at the ferry terminal for a small price. Then take the ferry and walk to the french quarter from the foot of Canal Street. Or drive like 15mins across the river into the city area.

- If you don't drive (like me), it gets a little tricky. There is an hourly bus (Algiers 101) that comes at the 30-minute mark of every hour. You can alight the bus near the ferry terminal. This bus also takes a loop and goes straight to the northwest of French Quarter (Elk's Place), but when I tried that route I realised it was right beside Iberville. I have not experienced anything bad myself, but Iberville comes up often when I research on places to avoid in NOLA. Try a trip in the day (no issues there), and decide for yourself.

- If you want to walk, it's a 40minute journey to the ferry. It could be pleasant or disastrous depending on the weather. I found the Algiers Point to be safe, and I enjoyed my walk in the day. Helps that the hotel is right beside a naval base, you get to see marine police and NOPD patrol cars pretty often. But because I travelled alone, at night I usually took a cab from the ferry terminal to the hotel, about $8.

The only one thing that annoyed me is that cabbies on the East side can be pretty reluctant to send people across to the west bank (where the hotel is). I had more problems finding a cabbie in the french quarter that would take me to Algiers Point. So you gotta make the ferry your best friend if you're not driving. I came for Jazzfest, and the cabbie at the Jazzfest cab line actually swore when I mentioned algier's point:(

Room Tip: They don't have elevators, so if you have trouble with luggages ask for a room on the first floo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Thomas L
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Thomas L,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Federal City inn & Suites, in New Orleans. As we check in many guests each and every day I am proud that my staff and our hotel met your expectations.
I would also like to thank you for your advice and recommendations on getting around our unique city which has many diverse neighborhoods such as ours, Algiers.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to our city.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

not to hard to find, arrived after ferry shut down so came over the bridge.

had a drink in town and was pointed in the spot on direction from a local. just off the marine / naval base. checked in and went back out at 1am to catch last song at old point bar. a must see. stayed till 2 am
and then checked out room.

very nice, small kitchen, little dated on furnishings but solid not cheap

made the trip over the ferry 7 times. loved it. 1 dollar only on trip out.

please please keep the ferry.

ferry drops you right in the quarter, walk to art district or the quarter, or trolly to magazine, garden district.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank sunsetseaker

Good Afternoon Sunsetseaker,
Thank you for taking the time out of you busy day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites on your recent visit to New Orleans. My staff and I pride ourselves on our servive and providing clean comfortable rooms and I am proud to see that we did meet your expectations.
As you are aware New Orleans is made up of many diverse cultures and neighborhood's with ours, Algiers, being one and it's close proximiety to all attractions along with unique ferry experience. My staff and I look forward to serving you and your family again on your next vist to New Orleans.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were driving back from Florida and late on a Sunday were looking for a NO hotel. We found this hotel at a great price but were a bit reluctant because of the location on the other side of the river. We were wrong. This is a great place, with clean rooms, big beds and a bath, and a kitchen area with a 2 burner cooktop, microwave, refrigerator, sink, plates and cookware. Like a mini-extended stay hotel.

Nice staff, easy to get into the city and a great price - may head back next weekend!

As they used to say "try it, you'll like it"

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Bob C

Good Afternoon Bob C.
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post a note on tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Fedaeral City Inn & Suites in New Orleans. As you are well aware New Orleans, is a diverse community and our area Algiers, is one that can be forgotten at times. Our close proximiety to the city via the Crescent City Connection or the Algiers ferry makes this a convienent place to stay and relax. As we serve many guests each and every day I am delighted that my staff and our hotel met your expections and look forward to serving you and your family on future trips to our area.