Federal City Inn & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel de la Monnaie(New Orleans)
View Hotel
The Frenchmen Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel Provincial(New Orleans)
  • Pool
All reviewsalgiers ferryalgiers pointnice kitchenetteno elevatorshort drivepolice departmentmini kitchenfrench quarterkitchen areadowntown nolasafe areabus stopquiet locationnice place to staycanal streetvending machinebig room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Federal City Inn is located on an old Naval base and sits across the river from New Orleans main area. A free fairy service is available but runs on the top and 1/2 hour leaving and returns from New Orleans at 15 and 45 of the hour. If you miss it by a minute you will wait. Parking is available for day and is $10 on the weekend and $5 weekdays.

The hotel is clean and has a nice kitchen area. No extras but is a nice place and is clean. If you can put up with the fairy crossing it is good for you. A police precinct is nearby.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Swordfish911
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to contact TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. My staff and I are elated that we met all of your expectations. We value your opinion and it does count. We look forward to serving you and your family again on your next vist to our city.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night while traveling through town because the post lodging in Belle Chasse was full. We did get a military rate of just under $100. It was quite tricky to locate and I felt very uncomfortable driving through the neighborhood once we got off of I-10. I was kind of hesitant to stay here upon check in but the front desk clerk assured me that the area was safe. The police station was nearby as well as a Marine Reserve station that patrolled Federal City. Algiers is a few blocks away and offers a ferry to the French Quarter which we used. There isn't an elevator and the room is very outdated. It is large and had a kitchenette. The front desk clerk (forget her name, think it starts with an A) was very nice, helpful and took time out to give us directions and some ideas to do with our son. I can't say I'd stay here again when we come back in town but I wouldn't rule it out either BUT if they remodeled and updated the building then we definately would!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Our goal is to satisfy all guests and I am glad we were able to meet your needs with some reluctance on your part.

The neighborhood you drove through, like a lot of New Orleans neighborhood's is older and was primarily for Military families which some still reside. This is one of the better protected areas in the city with New Orleans Police department and Marine Police patrolling the area.

Once again thank you for the thoughtful review and we hope to serve you and your family again.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Driving through the area to get to this hotel is a little interesting....but once we turned into the base I was happy to see a nice small hotel waiting for us. We were greeted by a pleasant gentleman at the front desk and given our room keys. The rooms are nothing fancy but they were large and clean and had a full kitchenette. Very good room for the price.

Drive over and park to take the Algers ferry over to the French Quarter...but only if you plan on coming back before midnight. This is a great option so you don't have to try and find a place to park in all the chaos.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SAnderson4766

Good afternoon,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a comment about your stay with the Federal City Inn & Suites in New Orleans during August. Our goal is to exceed each and every guest expectations and to provide a clean and comfortable environment. I am elated that my stafff was able to satisy and exceed your expectations. We look forward to serving you and your family again on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Good facilities, close to Algiers Pt and free ferry to the French Quarter. Reception staff helpfull and friendly. Nice room with small kitchenette. We had a special rate so very good value.
The hotel is situated in what used to be a Navy base so don't be put off by arriving at a gate to a complex bordered by a fence topped with barbed wire.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jessna
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Jessna,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let everyone on Trip Advisor know that you were pleased with your stay and our accomodations.
Our goal is to satisify every guest every day and I am pleased to know that my staff fullfilled your expectations.
Norman Hebert

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Federal City Inn and Suites is a great place to stay. It's quiet. Free parking. Large rooms with Kitchenette. Inexpensive. Safe. If you have a car, it's an easy drive to the $5 parking lot at Algiers point for the FREE ferry over to the French quarter and you get a great first impression of New Orleans that way coming in from the river. The Dry Dock Cafe is there at the ferry, so it's close and very good too,

Coming here from I10 going east was tricky. We got lost twice.. our fault of course. First we missed the Business 90 west highway going over the river (GPS got us back on). Then our GPS and the directions from the Federal City website disagreed and we went with the GPS first, and the website later and got totally lost. However our GPS pulled us out of it again and got us to Federal City. It is confusing, so take a close look at a map or two before attempting this. It is worth it! (The night before federal city, our GPS was totally wrong so we were not completely trusting her at this point)

We had investigated a 4* property close to Canal on priceline (or was it hotwire?) and determined that when you added on parking and extras, this property at Federal City was much less than half the cost of the 4*. If you like quiet, and especially if you have kids, this is the place for you. Be prepared, however, they do not YET have a pool. Apparently it is still mostly military personnel staying here even though this is not a naval base anymore. Although, the Marines do have a very secure large facility newly built in this former base.

Final tip, after you enter the gate to federal city from Shirley, go left at the stop sign, the road curves around and after about 200 meters you'll see the Inn on the right.

The Inn should provide better directions, and perhaps the exact coordinates for GPS units to make this an easier task.

Room Tip: no elevator, so if you need one take the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
4  Thank zapityzap

Good afternoon,
First of all thank you for taking the time to inform Tripadvisor of your stay at the Federal City Inn & Suites on your trip to New Orleans in May. We serve many guests each and every day and our goal is to exceed expectations with eveyone and I am elated that my staff accompolished this. We look forward to serving you and your family on your next vist to New Orleans.