“Great Spot to Meet”

Ranked #530 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: In the Voodoo faith tradition, "Loa" are divine spirits with roughly a one to one correlation to the pantheon Christian saints. The name suits the bar at International House because in it the city's contemporary spirit is evident. In the flickering glow of candlelight which someone playfully noted "softens not only the features but the defenses". In the opulent mix of texture and pattern selected by designer LM Pagano, the intangible exotic mix of Haitian French- Caribbean ways, with refined European sensibilities and in a sort of Sistine Chapel-esque religiosity found in heavily Catholic New Orleans. It's clear in the devoted patrons too, an effortless blend of visitors coupled with a nightly mix of young artists and entrepreneurs who fuel an impressive creative culture of invention in this long-admired city. Says Walter, "In this setting, the cup is literally replete with "spirits" possessed of the power to sharpen the tongue and dull the sword."
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Very comfortable bar and lounge with fabulous and interesting cocktails. Bartenders are clearly very knowledgeable and fun to talk to. Great bar area filled with fresh herbs and fruit. Also cool to see some new libations being brewed during the day.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the hotel international house where this bar is located. Most amazing drinks ever and coolest bar set up I have ever seen, but the bartenders were extremely unhappy and rude (women) We went in for one more drink before we left because the drinks were so amazing and sat near the window for 30 minutes with no service! I even waived down the man that seemed to manage this bar and still no drinks came! The worst service I have ever seen in my life. Period.

1  Thank Alyz32
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

This place is so cool. With fresh herbs lining the bar the aroma of basil, mint, thyme and dill fill the air. The decor is quite eclectic. Our drinks were awesome filled with french liquors, gin, basil and all kinds of things that I have no clue about but culminated to heaven in my mouth. This is not the place to order a bud light. Ask for a recommendation and be adventurous you won't be let down. Probably the best cocktail we've ever had.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very hip! We loved the assortment of real cocktails. The menus are super cool, held together with a chunky magnet. My drink had clover in it. The arrangement of the room was pretty tight and someone walking past us tripped on a barstool and almost fell into us. They should rethink the shape of the furniture, even though it looks great, it's very cumbersome. All in all, really cool and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

A nice place to relax and have a libation in the evening. The bartender mixes up some of her own brews and uses them in unusual drinks so ask her what she recommends! Love the decor!