“COFFEE AND FRESH JUICE!”
Review of Satsuma Cafe

Satsuma Cafe
Ranked #17 of 65 Dessert in New Orleans
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Located in Bywater area of New Orleans about 2 miles east of the French Quarter that attracts the hipster crowd. A chalk board lists menu items consisting of fresh local produce and healthy ingredients, a divergence from deep-fried heavy Southern foods. Sandwiches include portobella mushrooms, roasted pear, BLT, ham. Fresh salads consist of dark leafy greens, endamane, quinoa, etc. Fresh juices made with seasonal satsuma, limes, beets are are squeezed, pulped, per order. Also has an appetizing selection of breakfast items. Other items include freshly baked muffins and pasteries. Free WiFi is used by many customers thereby occupying tables and can make it difficult to find a table for newcomers. Smoking area is outside in the patio.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Healthy eating without being disgusting or annoying. Wonderful fresh, made to order, juices. Delicious menu items...sandwiches, salads, etc. So good, that it does get busy. Early morning coffee and laptop retreat is best. I like that I can sit outside and enjoy my meal.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Last week I attended a three day art class at a studio in the Bywater. Two classmates (locals) invited me to breakfast at the Satsuma Cafe on day two of the class. From the minute my taxi dropped me off to a last lingering look behind me, I felt comfortable, welcome and appreciated.

The ambiance is casual and the decor so interesting that I took pictures (the very definition of eclectic). I started with a big cup of a wonderful hot black tea while I waited for my friends to arrive. Everything on the menu looked delicious, but I finally settled on a breakfast sandwich served on a freshly baked biscuit, My friends split a BLT and a decadent freshly baked muffin. I saw the pancakes coming out and if I ever get back to New Orleans, I'm going to try them! All of our dishes were fabulous. The biscuit melted in my mouth.

We decided to each buy a cookie to take to class since the baking smells were driving us crazy! The unusual cookie flavor combinations sounded wonderful and I chose one featuring ginger (one of my favorite flavors). Imagine my surprise and dismay to discover an oatmeal raisin cookie in my bag several hours later! :-( Hence four stars not five.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

This place had been calling my name for quite some time, but it is very rare my husband and I make it to the Bywater. So glad we got a chance to go here. The food was amazing, juices were yummy and super fresh, and the coffee was perfect. I am considering quitting my job and moving to the Bywater just so that this place is more accessible! Fills a bit of the hole in my life from my favorite places in Austin.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I eat at Satsuma all the time. It's so affordable. If it's crowded, you can always share a table and make new friends. I love the fluffy pancakes which are created each day-- you might find Strawberry- Mint one day, and Peaches, almond and ginger the next. Or ginger and melted chocolate chips. They're just $5 and they'll hold you to dinner time. Their salads are incredible-- kale or just tossed baby lettuces mix-- shaved onions, etc. and the house dressing is almost addictive. There is a nice outside patio for dining as well. You place your order at the counter, then they call out your name and bring you your order. A large "counter-culture" crowd-- very friendly and charming-- just like Satsuma. Local artists display their art on the huge, tall walls. Satsuma has become a daily routine for scores of people in the Bywater and Marigny, becoming "essential" to many. Love their inventive sandwiches also-- served on their homemade ciabatta bread.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Part of the whole Bywater revival, this place is in a former commercial section of the neighborhood, surrounded by renovating houses and great atmosphere. The breakfasts are varied and delicious, and the sandwiches are great too. There is an outside patio on warm NOLA mornings, and inside the ambiance is about as informal and comfortable as it can be. Lots of fun and good food.