“slice of healthy heaven”
Review of Satsuma Cafe

Satsuma Cafe
Ranked #15 of 64 Dessert in New Orleans
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Located in Bywater area of New Orleans about 2 miles east of the French Quarter that attracts the hipster crowd. A chalk board lists menu items consisting of fresh local produce and healthy ingredients, a divergence from deep-fried heavy Southern foods. Sandwiches include portobella mushrooms, roasted pear, BLT, ham. Fresh salads consist of dark leafy greens, endamane, quinoa, etc. Fresh juices made with seasonal satsuma, limes, beets are are squeezed, pulped, per order. Also has an appetizing selection of breakfast items. Other items include freshly baked muffins and pasteries. Free WiFi is used by many customers thereby occupying tables and can make it difficult to find a table for newcomers. Smoking area is outside in the patio.
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“slice of healthy heaven”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This place had been calling my name for quite some time, but it is very rare my husband and I make it to the Bywater. So glad we got a chance to go here. The food was amazing, juices were yummy and super fresh, and the coffee was perfect. I am considering quitting my job and moving to the Bywater just so that this place is more accessible! Fills a bit of the hole in my life from my favorite places in Austin.

Visited June 2012

New Orleans
“Incredibly good, fresh, delicious food”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I eat at Satsuma all the time. It's so affordable. If it's crowded, you can always share a table and make new friends. I love the fluffy pancakes which are created each day-- you might find Strawberry- Mint one day, and Peaches, almond and ginger the next. Or ginger and melted chocolate chips. They're just $5 and they'll hold you to dinner time. Their salads are incredible-- kale or just tossed baby lettuces mix-- shaved onions, etc. and the house dressing is almost addictive. There is a nice outside patio for dining as well. You place your order at the counter, then they call out your name and bring you your order. A large "counter-culture" crowd-- very friendly and charming-- just like Satsuma. Local artists display their art on the huge, tall walls. Satsuma has become a daily routine for scores of people in the Bywater and Marigny, becoming "essential" to many. Love their inventive sandwiches also-- served on their homemade ciabatta bread.

Visited May 2012
Salmon Arm
“Great food and atmosphere in the exciting Bywater”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Part of the whole Bywater revival, this place is in a former commercial section of the neighborhood, surrounded by renovating houses and great atmosphere. The breakfasts are varied and delicious, and the sandwiches are great too. There is an outside patio on warm NOLA mornings, and inside the ambiance is about as informal and comfortable as it can be. Lots of fun and good food.

Visited April 2012
“Yummy healthy food with fresh ingredients!”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Feeling a little, shall we say hung over? I went to this cafe near my b&b and had the best cure. BLT and fresh juice made with fruits and veggies. If I lived here I'd be a regular!

peoria, il
“so delicious I was ready to move in”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was my favorite lunch place in NOLA. We walked from our French Quarter hotel + loved the exercise + a look at the neighboods along the way. REALLY WONDERFUL FOOD> we had brunch and lunch-- don't miss the fresh juice bar + their coffee is great. It's really busy so expect to wait a little bit-- but the tables turn over quickly. Thanks Satsuma! I miss you already!

Visited March 2012