“Bed Bug Infestation”

Loft 523 New Orleans
Ranked #123 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went with my wife for our anniversary and it turned into a nightmare. Laid down and my wife felt something crawling in her hair. Turned on the the light and saw two bed bugs racing towards us. Started inspecting the bed and found 50+ bed backs in the headboard. It was a huge infestation and I still itch thinking about it. The managers found us another room which we found hard to sleep in. They never apologized or offered anything and were pretty rude about it. The rooms were nothing special and I would definitely stay away.

Room Tip: Bed bugs stay away.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
58  Thank Michael213_12

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend in New Orleans and chose this hotel after reading numerous positive reviews. We were immediately impressed by the friendly, helpful staff and our room was spacious and very comfortable. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on! Even though the majority of the rooms were occupied, the hotel was very quiet and we never even saw another guest. My only complaint is that the bathroom toilet wasn't cleaned very well, but overall we were thrilled with our stay and would happily stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alsabrook
Reviewed July 13, 2013

With all the modern spare aesthetic, you can find some serenity here in the heart of the old city. In three days I only saw one other guest, even though I was told half of the 18 rooms were occupied. Quiet. Coming back after business all day was rejuvenating, just for the clean open space of the loft-type room. Good daylight, large windows facing the street, and the best iPod stereo sound system I have ever run across.

Plan on a careful search to find it, as the signage is minimal, and it does not look like a hotel. When entering the lobby it had an unappealing antiseptic cleaner smell, and the bar/restaurant in the back looks shuttered. With all the dining options nearby, this is not a problem. But they should add blinds so you don't look in from the lobby and see a derelict junky dark area.

I'd agree with others that the shower suffered from low pressure and suggest they cap off one of the two heads so all the water comes from one good one. No tub in my unit.

With all the cold concrete floor in my unit, it might be nice to have a little more area rug to warm it up. I also wished for a personal reading light in bed, vs the ceiling down light.

Generally these are minor issues considering the positives. It's great to see someone try for a modern expression in "traditional" New Orleans.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GrantGustafson
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. The polished concrete floors and huge rooms give a cool and relaxing feel which is a great relief after a humid day in New Orleans. The aircon works well - keeps the temperature right without being noisy (sounds obvious but it's amazing how many hotels don't get this right).

Location is also great: a couple of blocks from the French Quarter so quiet in the evenings but still convenient for all the sights there, Canal Street, Charles St, local dining options, riverside, etc.

If I were forced to find fault, it would be with some of the housekeeping (amenities not replenished) and water pressure in the shower. But don't let this sway you - this is a great hotel with a lot of style and helped make our stay in New Orleans really special.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel through a recommendation from a friend who had a wedding that weekend and once lived in NO. The rooms are incredibly spacious! You really do not feel as if you are in a hotel at all - definitely not your typical hotel experience and I used to be flight attendant and have stayed at a lot of hotels in my time.

The location is perfect - a couple blocks to Canal St., Bourbon, Magazine and French Quarter. Front desk staff is very helpful and accomodating.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the shower - I loved the open concept but I did find that water splashed outside of the shower on the floor quite a bit since there were dual showerheads (still loved that feature though). The large tub is just as pictured - pure perfection! Bed was very comfy and we had a nice view as well. Also, just know you are staying in the heart of downtown so parking will be challenging unless you opt for valet.

I would stay here again and highly recommend this gem!

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room - get a room with a soaking tub if they have one available, it's amazi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I couldn't imagine a better hotel to stay at in New Orleans. The location was fantastic - a beautiful neighborhood close to innumerable amazing restaurants and bars. The room was giant, incredible bathtub, super comfortable bed - better than anything we expected. The staff was friendly, welcoming and constantly available. I would never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenna B
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a stay here for a last minute getaway over Memorial Day weekend. We got a very good rate through hotels.com and I don't think we could have possibly expected more room for the money. It is very trendy and modern, so if you are looking for a more traditional New Orleans hotel, this place isn't for you. However, if you are looking for a place that is very clean, hip, and quiet it is perfect. It is far enough from The French Quarter to have some peace, but close enough to walk anywhere within 15 minutes. I hate for word to spread too quickly about this place, as I want there to be availability next time we head to New Orleans for a couples weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further from the elevator if possible as you can hear a decent bit of hallway traffic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple