“The most amazing hotel in New Orleans”

Loft 523 New Orleans
Ranked #121 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“The most amazing hotel in New Orleans”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If you are looking for a super contemporary, unique, boutique hotel in New Olreans, Loft 523 is TOTALLY the place to stay!!!! My husband and I stayed there a few months back and we loved the super quaint fibe. Loft 523 is defiantly the place we will stay every time we visit New Orleans. Don't miss out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The P3 room is amazing!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just finished a two day stay at Loft 523 that was booked through Expedia. First of all, IGNORE the images of the lounge/bar area, as they no longer exist. While we were there the area was darkened and there was just furniture piled up in there. The staff says they closed it due to complaints from customers that the noise carried up to their rooms, and that we could use their sister hotels bar and restaurant, just a block away...and we did. The sister hotel, The International House, has a nice small bar, and a somewhat aloof bartender when we visited. We didn't at the I.House but it appears they have a restaurant as well. Here's my likes and dislikes about Loft 523

Like: The desk staff recommended two fantastic restaurant choices and they both were ideal.
The location is close to everything you'd want. Canal Street over to the French Quarter. Safe walking at night.
A great dive bar across the street called Chucks that appears to be open close to 24 hours. We tried it and loved the local vibe. It's not for everyone, as it is not high end for sure.
Great room, we had the deluxe which was about 600 square feet. Loft style, nice bed, artwork, great lighting and Aveda products in bath/shower area. Ours had a shower.
Valet is somewhat quick in bringing your car around. I'd allow 15 minutes.

Dislikes/Cautions: Be aware that you can't easily see the address when you pull up in front of hotel on Gravier, which is a narrow one way street. Even though our GPS told us we had arrived, we drove by it the first time and had to circle back. The address numbers are the same color as the walls and are spaced across the property. A close look and you'll see them. There is virtually nowhere to park out front, so you'll want to park in the unloading/loading spaces that are part of the hotel next door on the left when you arrive. The staff won't offer to help carry your luggage, but they have ramps to roll up.
As mentioned, we were disappointed the bar/lounge was closed. They could easily keep it open and just serve drinks and keep the music at a lower volume to prevent guests from complaining about noise. Either that or they could just leave the furniture and lights on and allow you to lounge in there. As it is, it's a wreck and takes away from the hotel itself. Supposedly there may be plans for it someday, but not in the near future.
Valet parking overnight is a minimum of $32.00, which is higher than most hotels we frequent. Larger vehicles show to be $39.00.
Although large, the two head shower concept is great, except that the heads are not adjustable, and, in our case at least, the heads need to be removed and cleaned as they were spraying in every direction and coming from two sources.

Room Tip: Just remember if you are considering Loft 523 you will have to use the facilities at the sister hote...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mountainbound2
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I usually stay at their sister property the International House and always bring my clients with me; since my work is international, I feel great about bringing guests from Europe to this hotel. However, it was completely booked, so they suggested the modern sister hotel around the corner Loft 523. First of all, the decor is fantastic and the special green touches are worth seeking out. Instead of the typical in room snacks and offerings, they have created a custom menu of uniquely New Orleans offerings, vegetarian offerings, snacks for runners, envirommental stuff-cool stuff, things I would have if guests were staying in my home. Then the details--in the rooms there were CDs of local artists and greats that inspire the New Orleans culture-and there is a full CD and DVD to play them in, along with a modern wall mounted flat screen and beautiful modern room. But the kicker is this-I arrived on a long trip, tired, and late arriving. I realized I left my wallet in the plane at the New Orleans airport. The staff, Stephanie and crew, was so forward thinking and so calm. I was hungry, so they took all my information and sent me over to Restaurant August to eat, securing a late night bar dinner for me. Then they stayed on the phone with airport security for me for 30+ minutes so they could work on getting my wallet back. They made special accommodations since I had no way to pay for tips and services and eventually guided me to local police, security and the airport and the insiders who knows who and I got my wallet back-from the seat pocket of the plane on the last flight.

I love the staff at both hotels, the decor and the personal touch. They have my business. Check them out.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cristin C
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

The location is good. The hotel itself is nice, has a cool vibe. The staff is a bit snooty and awkward. They're not very good at making you feel welcome here, or at the International House. But my BIGGEST complaint is the $60.00 hidden charges, that you are NOT made aware of until after you check in and they swipe your card! And don't plan on getting that money back until after you check out.(try like a week later) I also was charged $200.00 dollars on a bogus smoking accusation. And nobody would/could help me aside from the general manager who wasn't even available until the day we checked out. She wouldn't even confront us in person she had her front desk staff give me a reciept stating that the charge had been refunded. And then an hour later as I'm sitting in the lobby of her hotel, she calls my cell phone to let me know. The place is a joke and a rip off!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank kellyrenee0524
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've had some real disappointments in NOLA hotels -- but was very happy with Loft 523. It's a small little modern boutique hotel. They do have room service and a bar one block over at a sister property, so it's almost like you're staying in a little apartment building. Front desk staff were all very friendly and provided concierge type services. The space was excellent. Minimal, comfortable, high ceilings, big windows, comfy bed - sofa, huge bathroom with double-headed shower. I would def stay here again. Location was also great - CBD, a couple blocks from the quarter, close access to streetcars into garden district. This place is modern -- not for those looking for antebellum New Orleans

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AGMathis
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2012

If you're looking for a quiet, yet close to the French Quarter, hotel this is the place for you! The rooms are very clean and modern and the staff is friendly and helpful. This hotel doesn't have any fancy amenities, no pool, no downstairs bar, but no fuss! Room Service is available from the neighboring International House. The French Quarter/Bourbon is an easy walking distance and the only noise you will hear at night are few and far between people walking on the street below. They also lock the doors at night with room key only front door access so it's very private. My boyfriend and I stayed here two nights for the Crescent City Classic. My only complaint would be the bathroom and bedroom has very low lighting. It was a little difficult to put on makeup but otherwise this hotel was great!

2 Thank emihole
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at Loft 523 for 5 nights during the Final Four. Overall, we had a great experience with the staff- most were very attentive and went out of the way to help us during our time there. The rooms were very sleek, modern, and sexy. We'll definitely be back.

1 Thank shormk2