“Don't forget their private tours!”
Review of Free Tours by Foot

Free Tours by Foot
Ranked #1 of 232 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Free Tours by Foot is pleased to present the only name-your-own-price New Orleans tours. Learn much more than just Bourbon Street on our French Quarter Tour, about the well-heeled and their mansions on our Garden District Tour. Learn about New Orleans peculiar burial grounds on our St. Louis Cemetery #1 Tour. Foodies will love our food tours and everyone will get spooked on our New Orleans ghost tours. We now also offer bike tours and soon photography and bus tours. You decide what a tour was worth after the tour is finished. Pay-what-you-like tours are great tours for every budget.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We travel often with another couple and several years ago we spoiled ourselves and booked a tour with a private guide. Ever since we have engaged private guides to show us around at our own pace and our own selection of sites. FTBF was able to do this for us. JoAnne put an itinerary together based on our preferences emailed to her then spent 4.5 hours driving around New Orleans with us showing us some very interesting sites - Cemetery #1, Garden District, the Marigny, Bayou St. John, the 9th Ward (we already had the Quarter covered) - even taking us to a great poor-boy restaurant for lunch which turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip.

As expected, you pay a premium to have the exclusive use of a seasoned tour guide for this long, but it was worth every penny. JoAnne really knows the city, and is a very personable, educated guide.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,979)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I tried to book a couple of tours through another company but seeing as it is Spring Break (not something I had thought about when booking my trip!), a lot of tours are booked. A fellow traveller at my accommodation told me about this company and I immediately called to do the ghost tour. I spoke to Sarah (she's awesome) and was told that it was booked out but I should turn up because there are so many no shows.

As predicted, a bunch of people didn't show, so I was put on the tour. We walked and talked for 2 hours around the French Quarter about significant events and the reported entities relating to those. Melissa clearly knew her stuff, though I imagine it would be difficult to deliver something like that with a different audience every night. I had some rather special folk on the tour who were expecting Casper to jump out at them or something. Don't do this tour if you're not prepared to stand and listen to what the guide has to say. Don't take kids who are needy and fidgety. They will hate it and annoy everyone else.

I did the French Quarter tour this morning with Joe, who was great. A lot of talking, a lot of walking, and not a dull moment. The email the night before from him was great, particularly if you have booked way in advance as opposed to the night before like I did. Joe knew HEAPS about everything French Quarter related and was more than happy to answer any questions about the place he clearly loves. The tour was a great pace - not too slow but not super fast either. There is so much to take in! The restaurant tips at the end were great as well.

After that effort this morning, I went on to do the Garden District tour ith Sarah. She's fantastic! She totally knows her stuff and is hilarious. The tour went at a great pace and I learned a whole lot about the cultural melting pot that is New Orleans. Her tips for places to go were also fantastic, so listen to what she says! It was great to see the different places around the Garden District and her anecdotes were great. It can be quite dull to go on a tour that merely delivers fact after fact, but Sarah gave hers with gusto and a fair bit of dance!

It is quite refreshing to have tour guides with so much energy and passion for what they do and where they live. Their tours are absolutely worth going on, and if you don't agree, you don't pay. I certainly did and I only wish I could afford more!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I found Free Tours through TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed. My husband and I signed up for the Garden District/Cemetery tour which was very energetically led by Sarah. The stories were very well researched and shared with great theatrics. It was really always interesting and Sarah clearly adores her city and the stories within. Make sure you book ahead - no booking, no tagging along. One other thing - although it's 'free', yes you really should pay for the tour. We each paid $20 as we felt for the 2 hours of work and quality it was well worth it. I couldn't help but notice many others clearly enjoyed it and some didn't pay anything and purposely slipped away (c'mon people! This is their livelihood! Pay whatever you think is appropriate).

The ride from the Quarter on the St. Charles streetcar is a lovely and fairly quick ride. Tour is doable for anyone OK with gentle walking 2 hours with many stops. We didn't have our teens with us on this trip but due to the passionate delivery, we think they'd have probably "put up with the history" and enjoyed it too.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I enjoyed the historical aspect of the tour and the guide seemed passionate about history and the city. We paid for another tour, but this was far better and wished we had done more with them. It's free so you can't go wrong!!!!!!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was my first trip to New Orleans and one of the things that topped my list of things to do was to take a ghost tour! I found "Tours by Foot" and immediately signed up. We met Melissa Huguenot, our tour guide in front of the Saint Louis Cathedral, she was right where she said she would be and wearing exactly what she said she would, from a previous text message i received, which was totally awesome and personable. She really knew her stuff and made the tour very exciting with all her stories and little insights on what she believes and has experienced! I am a scrapbooker, and I took many photos of the tour, she told us all the best spots to possibly capture a photo from the other side. After returning home I was putting together my photos and I had forgot a story that belonged to one of the pictures I took. So I simply emailed Melissa and she quickly got right back to me with the answer! So cool!! I would highly recommend Melissa for this tour it you are a fellow believer, and Tours by Foot is an awesome company to enjoy the city with. Thanks for making our trip awesome!!!

1  Thank 99Trish99