“A very modern hotel”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #67 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The check in staff were extremely friendly and that always makes a good impression.

The hotel is very modern but the design leaves a lot to be desired. After check in it is a major trek through public areas to the elevators to the rooms. The elevators require you to select the floor you want to go to or swipe your key and there are no buttons inside, so no changing your mind. It took a little getting used to and people were always standing around trying to figure out how it worked.

The large TV in the room did not work, apparently a software update had been pushed that morning and a new firmware rev was required. The technician was able to get it working for some of the channels. If you are just spending a couple of nights I question the value of all the added features and the time investment just to use the remote.

We had an issue with the e-upgrade process and we got more than we had requested, and charged for it. However the issue was amicably resolved, but I will be more careful in the future.

The executive club has a nice view, but it can be extremely noisy in the morning when it is full.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,117)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel itself is very beautiful but the room is very uncomfortable. The bed is very hard and the pillows were awful. The bathroom toilet is so low that if you have back problems watch out and it is set so close to the bath tub and there is hardly any room. The room itself does not have much draw save to put away clothes for a family of 3. I was very disappointed being a Hyatt Regency that the bed was so uncomfortable. We could hardly sleep. Let me advise you of the parking. If you decide to self park the rate is $25 a day. There is not In and Out so if you move your car you will be charged additional. There is no discount given at the hotel. The hotel itself is several blocks from the French Quarters and away from everything. The neighborhood is not the best at night so I do not recommend walking at night. There are a few resturants in the hotel but they are not very cheap. I myself would not stay here again. I would choose one closer to the French Quarters. Oh we asked for a room with a city view and was given a view of the garbage bin. We said this was our first trip to New Orleans. " Welcome to New Orleans".

Room Tip: High floor, City view, Overlooking Dome
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Room was nice with wonderful pillow top king bed. We have never stayed in a hotel this quiet - we heard nothing on any of the four nights we stayed which was a very nice change from other hotels and our room was close to four elevators. Nice, large workout room on 32nd floor overlooking city. There's also two restaurants on site as well as a 24 hour fresh market and Starbucks and two hotel bars, one which serves food. If you're too tired to head closer to the Quarter for dinner, there is a great pizza place just a couple of blocks up Poydras - Reginelli's. You are about a mile's walk from the French Quarter, but for us that was not a problem to walk. We were also told that the Poydras streetcar stops at the hotel for easier access to the Quarter. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The only negatives we had was the air conditioning - it was extremely cold everywhere in the hotel, so take a sweater if you're going to spend any time in the meeting rooms and the maid service was not the best. Almost everyday we had a supervisor come to our room asking if it had been cleaned yet and we had to ask a couple of times for towels.

Room Tip: I would think that any room in this hotel will be great. If you do not like to ride elevators, espe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura1142
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here during Essence Fest, and I must say it was a good choice. The location was excellent; we were able to walk over each night for the concert and get back to the room without being hung up in the crowds.

Check-in went smoothly and it was very fast. It probably took less than 5 minutes for me to hop out the car and retrieve the room keys then we were on our way. I know that a lot of people complained about the distance to the room elevators and the elevators themselves but I actually enjoyed it. It was nice to just wave your key in front of a pad and the elevator tells you which one to get on. It saves unnecessary stops on floors. Once we moved on to another hotel we all agreed that we missed the 'smart elevators'.

The room was nice. Small but nice. We had a corner room, standard with two beds. The room was decorated with a modern touch. The TV's displayed my name on a channel the entire day we were there 'welcoming me' to the hotel. The beds were comfortable. The AC unit took awhile to figure out. I was trying to adjust the temp and speed of the fan and it took awhile to get it to the right setting because to me the thermostat wasn't user friendly. In addition, the unit was very LOUD.

The bathroom was small. But the mirror space was big enough for two people stand in front of it comfortably while getting ready. Typical shower/tub combo. However, the amenities provided were very nice. My only complaint is that they never gave you enough towels, I had to call down on two separate occasions to get extra towels sent up to the room.

Parking is steep. It was $40/per + tax for valet. At times it also takes awhile for them to pull your car around. Check-out was a breeze. After getting off the escalator their was a gentleman standing there with and iPad, he was able to show me the bill so that I could review it before closing it out and then sent a copy straight to my email. I dropped the keys in the drop box and we were on our way. No front desk needed!

The atmosphere around the hotel is a nice one. They have a restaurant/bar called Vitascope which allowed you to people watch due to the glass windows on the 3rd floor. In addition, they a place that delivers pizza for free; they also had someone on site after the concerts (12AM +) selling hot pizzas on the 3rd floor. No line, no wait! The hotel also boasts a nice size Starbucks on the 2nd floor with normal prices. Though there were a lot of patrons that line moved my swiftly. There were plenty of places to sit in the Lobby on up to the third floor. The furniture was somewhat art deco, but I loved it. It nice to look at and comfortable to sit on.

Overall this is a great hotel to stay in. The service was great and the price was definitely right for that weekend. My only complaints would be the room size and 'not enough towels'. I would truly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Court18
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for the whole week. Very nice hotel and everyone seems to care and speak to you. Love that they have a concierge on site to be able to ask questions for what to do. We were here for Our Little Miss Pageant and just had short periods of time to slip out and eat or do something quick. They have a star bucks on site, even though I don't do coffee but was. Nice for a quick muffin. The only negative is the store they have for muffins, sandwiches or a drink are way expensive. It was like being at the airport. At least star bucks didn't gouge us us for convenience.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my first time back at the hotel since hurricane Katrina. Very nice open air lobby, quick check-in and personally walked to our room and told if we were not happy with the room to let us know and they would up grade us to a suite. The room was wonderful thus no reason for an upgrade. Great black out shades on the windows and a very quiet room! Air conditioner worked great. The Borgne (pronounced Born) Restaurant that is attached to the hotel has fantastic food although the dinning room does have a high noise level. It is worth the noise to enjoy such well prepared and fresh local seafood.

The concierge was very helpful with reservations at local area restaurants. Taxi's were plentiful and you did not wait more than an minute for one to pull up. All in all a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt during the Essence Festival and enjoyed the services from all staff until there was an encountered with the housekeeping staff. For some particular reason, the housekeeper in charged of my section at the hotel came to my room at 5 pm in the evening to provide services such as cleaning and changing linens for the day. I came out of the room at 5:30 pm so that she could clean the room but was approached with the attitude of not wanting to provide services. This was reported to the front desk staff, who appeared to be concern but failed to notify her immediate manager. I then made a second complaint and the housekeeper's supervisor made a personal visit and expressed his concern regarding his staff behavior. He was so understanding and as a result, deducted one night's pay from my bill. He even offered to pay for the evening meal and sent staff to the room after 10 pm to preform housekeeping activities. Mr. White, the housekeeping manager is a winner in my eyes and was genuine in his concern for me having a positive experience during this stay at the hotel. This is the only reason I would return to this hotel. The hotel is beautiful, food great and location is a plus. I must confess beside the evening manger failing to communicate my concern to the evening shift manager and the rudeness of the housekeeping staff, I would rate the rest of the staff as professional and absolutely great.

Room Tip: Lower floors makes understanding the complicated elevator system a little easier to follow but it d...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends