“Nice hotel, but you need a map”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #67 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here for a conference last week, and was generally pleased with the location. The decor is really nice, the room was comfortable, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and just about everything has a touchscreen or another tech-savvy way of getting things done (from email check-in to printing boarding passes down on the first level). Staff was really great at check in - they will call you when your room is ready if you take one of the mid-day flights into NOLA and they will also hold your bags so you are free to grab lunch or coffee or something instead of just sitting in the lobby. The elevator system is high tech and kind of cool - you use your room key to scan under a reader to bring an elevator that will bring you directly to your floor - no button pushing needed. The resturants at the hotel are also pretty good, and there is a Starbucks with Free WiFi on the second level. Meeting rooms/ballrooms are very spacious with good acoustics and presentation technology.

Like others have said, it's a really confusing hotel if you're in town for a conference. It's pretty big, and navigating around random corners and little hallways to nowhere can be annoying if you're trying to get to a meeting. I was not a big fan of hauling my stuff up two escalators and down a hallway full of people when trying to get to the elevator to go up to the 16th floor and navigate the long hallways. They offer bell service but I was in a rush to get some work done and didn't feel like using them (and at this point I was out of cash for tips because the staff is just that helpful). You need to pay for internet in your room or otherwise work in the lobby or Starbucks (note: lobby internet didn't work). They also had a band or something playing until 11:30pm on a Wednesday night - even up on the 16th floor it was pretty loud. But I guess it might not bother you if you're in town for vacation or something else - I was trying to concentrate on writing a report.

There's an airport shuttle available if you book it 24 hrs ahead of time; otherwise taxi service is available at a standard fee of $33 for one person (they add $1 for each additional person).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyNola, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear LauraLovesZippy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay. We truly value our guests' feedback, especially our conference attendees.

It sounds like you enjoyed your stay overall! We are currently in the process of improving signage for our hotel guests as we realize the layout can be confusing. I hope you'll stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently had to stay here for a conference. The lobby was pretty, the common areas were relatively clean and well-maintained, check-in was pleasant, but that was where our positive experience ended. Does this hotel even employ a housekeeping staff? I think we spotted a couple of cleaning carts in the hallways, but you wouldn’t know it by the condition of the rooms. There were water marks, weird smudges, and fingerprints all over the glass countertops on the desk and nightstands. The floor was not very clean in either the living area or the bathroom (the bathroom had hair on the floor and other random yuckiness). The interior shower curtain was disgusting (shampoo, soap and who knows what else splattered all over it – how hard is it to swap out a washable shower curtain?). The back of the bathroom door also had something gross splattered on it, the walls in the bathroom looked like they hadn’t been wiped down in months, and the drinking glasses were disgustingly dirty. The housekeeping staff obviously takes zero pride in their job. I would review the room amenities and post pictures, but there’s really no point.

Other areas of the hotel: Once you get the elevator system figured out, it’s really quite cool and very efficient. The food and service at Vitascope was outstanding. The bellmen were hit and miss (some were great, some were clueless), and a few of the Starbucks employees were not very friendly at all. The employees at the gift shop were outstanding – very nice and very helpful. We also had a great experience with Pizza Consegna – fast delivery directly to our room, great price, and the pizza was delicious.

This could be a decent hotel if they knew how to actually clean a room... and unfortunately for this Hyatt, it makes or breaks a hotel stay. The condition of our room was not just about a few things missed -- this room had been consistently neglected. We’ve stayed in quite a few lovely Hyatt Regency properties, but we were shocked by our experience here. The housekeeping service was shameful for the Hyatt brand. Stay somewhere else.

2  Thank napa_sun

Dear Napa_Sun,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. I do apologize for any aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. If there is anything else you would like to discuss further please contact me directly at wilma.cruz@hyatt.com.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was nice, but will try to work you for tips. Room was very nice and very clean. Quick walk to the french quarters. Quite at night. No truly negatives to say. We did get our charged for parking the first night but received a discount for the second night when we brought it up to the staffs attention.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear TCU2010,

Thank you so much for your great review! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here during the middle of Nov. 2012. Beautiful Hotel. Very nice remodel. Like new. Very Modern with nice amenities. It is a little challenging to navigate the hotel at first. The part I found fascinating was the button-less elevators. No buttons in the elevator at all. There is an electronic touch key pad outside the elevator. One swipe of your key card, and it automatically tells you which elevator to take to your floor. You can also select a floor by touching the key pad and selecting the floor you need. Different, but a nice modern touch. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially navigating the hotel that first day.

My room was very nice, clean, and new. Large flat screen and plenty of room to spread out. I was on the 25th floor with a nice view. Small fridge in the room was a good to keep water and other snacks. Nice clean bathroom and shower.

I had access to the Regency Club on the 32nd floor. Very nice place to have breakfast, and snacks throughout the day. There is free computer access and printing capabilities. Great to print boarding passes. Spectacular view of New Orleans. Also brought a few clients up for meetings, which was better than a windowless conference room. Very relaxing.

The fitness room is state of the art with nice equipment and plenty of cardio machines. Elliptical, bike, and treadmills. Enough weights to get a decent work-out. They really need a Smith, and dumbbells which go to maybe 90 lbs.

Overall, a great stay. Would highly recommend this hotel for business, or pleasure. Definitely meets the high quality Hyatt standards you would expect.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views of the city.

Dear Dfndr90,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It sounds like you enjoyed everything from the smart elevator system to the Regency Club! We have to admit the view from the Regency Club is tough to beat. I hope your clients enjoyed meeting there as well.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again the next time you are in New Orleans!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just got back from a 2 night stay here. The property itself is nice and clean. However, for a place that just one year ago got a $280 million renovation, something isn't right.

The bads:
1. Our bedsheets had holes in them. Not little ones either, about the size of a quarter. Why they would give them to the maid to put on our bed is beyond me. Or why the maid would put them on a bed after having seen the holes, is just bad training.
2. The shower design in our standard king room is bad. Water leaked out all over the bathroom floor.
3. Soundproofing is terrible. You hear everything on the street, including music, sirens, jackhammering related to the delayed streetcar line, and saxophones from buskers, and we were on the 24th floor.
4. On Saturday morning, we left the room at 9am and requested that our room be made up. Got back to the room at noon, it had not been made up. The housekeeping manager stopped by (she was doing rounds) and we told her to please make up the room. We left and came back at 4pm, room was still not made up. It took 2 phone calls and a trip to the front desk to have the room made up. The front desk guy (very helpful) told us that a number of maids decided not to come to work that day and that was the reason for the delay.

The goods:
1. The elevators are cool.
2. The bathroom amenities are nice.
3. The TV system is good and actually has hi-def channels.
4. The restaurants look nice (even though the Starbucks has very limited hours).
5. The Regency Club has nice views, a good coffee machine, and a big screen iMac.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nashvillian

Dear Nashvillian,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with our staff. I do apologize for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations but am happy you were able to enjoy Regency Club, the elevators and the TV system.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I traveled to New Orleans with my family for a wedding. In my research I was looking for an affordable option close to the French Quarter but not in the action. I found it in this hotel. It was close enough to be in the action but far enough away so we didn't have to see or hear it.

Prior to booking I didn't know it was a mega hotel with many conventions going on simultaneiously. The hotel was huge and I actual got lost a few times trying to find our room.

The hotel is modern and clean. The staff was friendly enough although I didn't have too much interactions with them.

Our room was located right next to the pool which would've been great had the sliding glass door been able to open so we can have easy access to the pool. It was screwed shut and we were unable to open. I purposely booked this place because it would've been nice to be able to swim in the pool but it was not heated and the water was freezing.

The hotel was fine but if I were to travel to New Orleans again I probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again. It is not set up for families. It seems to be geared more for business travelers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Serena107,

Thank you for your constructive comments. I will be sure to share them with the rest of our team. I apologize if some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations but I am happy to hear that our location was convenient for you!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Significantly affected by the hurricane, refurbished as a result and reopened last year- this hotel has some teething problems. I attended a conference and the signage to find the rooms is very poor and hard to locate- its a maize without a map. Material related to the conference was not in my room and the letter of welcome arrived the last day of the conference in the afternoon.

Its a long haul from check in to the rooms, up 2 escalators and then to the elevators. Service was very patchy- long wait for check in and check out and anticipating many people checking out the next day, tried the night before to arrange a time for the bags to be collected - its a very long way to carry one!, to be told i needed to ring tomorrrow! Noisy over Friday and Saturday nights where there is entertainment. Ask for a room which does not have a connecting door as I heard my neighbor arrive at 1am and leave at 4.30am complete with conversation. They are going green so room is serviced every 3 days unless you ask and then its not that clean. I was not told this at check in and only found out when I rang to have the room serviced.

So stunning decor, very patchy service and it has not the polish you would expect- compared with my recent stay at the Marriot - Marriot out classes them.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with connecting doors and facing the stadium.

Dear Travellernov12,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay. I'm sorry some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations but I am happy to hear that you found our decor stunning.. I will be sure to share your constructive comments with our team.