“Disappointing series of incidents (later remedied), otherwise decent stay”

Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Ranked #67 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wherever the cheap fares take me
“Disappointing series of incidents (later remedied), otherwise decent stay”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The following is a review I posted immediately after my stay. I originally gave the property 2 stars based on my experiences, but they took it upon themselves to reach out to me after I completed the standard post stay email survey I received. They went out of their way to address the issues and take care of me, so I felt it only right to remove the original 2 star review and replace it with a more accurate sentiment based on my feelings overall after their post stay actions. Below is the original review, as I still do not think that the original review should disappear, as my reasons for my dissatisfaction still happened, but I also don't think it is fair to ding a hotel online and not adjust it for any followups they take later to fix the problems or address customer dissatisfaction. I wish Tripadvisor let you update reviews.

I booked 2 rooms here for 3 days on a Hyatt promo rate, which included free breakfast every day for 2 people and the 3rd night free. I booked both rooms in my name and got one for myself and wife, and one for parents. Upon arrival, the hotel was super busy, and check in was fairly slow. There were numerous people standing in line, and there was a Diamond/Platinum check in line, but it was not being staffed by any of the 3 people at the counter.

When we checked in, the gentleman who checked us in was very pleasant and accommodating, although he did take quite a while to process the check in. I won't really fault him, as he was, as mentioned, very nice and did his best to handle it properly.

The hotel itself is pretty nice...it looks newly renovated and has a lovely spacious lobby with a variety of art. One thing that is strange...to get to the rooms, you have to go up 2 flights of stairs (escalator or elevator is available) and then walk past a few restaurants to get to the room elevators. The elevator system is kind of confusing at first, and a little inconvenient.

The room was nice enough, as it was a basic room. It had a flat screen TV and a comfortable enough bed, although the pillows left much to be desired (more on that...). The bathroom was large and spacious and the shower had satisfactory enough pressure and the water was very soft.

Overall, just considering those factors, I would say the stay would have been a 4 star stay, since it was a pretty nice hotel, with a comfortable enough room and was well located enough...but then the problems began.

First off, there was a bottle of Aquafina in the closet, on a tray with 2 glasses next to it. There was NO label, NO price tag, NOTHING to indicate the water was not complimentary (as MANY quality hotels provide 1 bottle of water free). We consumed this bottle to find out later it was not free.

Second, after a miserable night trying to sleep with the pillows which were too firm for us, we asked if there were other pillows. The front desk said they had some foam pillows and they would send some up. That never happened. I had to call again later that night, several hours later, because they never brought them the first time.

Third, we went down to the restaurant for the buffet breakfast which was included in the promo rate and had to wait about 15 minutes. Now, this alone would not be an issue, but when we got in the restaurant, there was literally about 40% vacant tables. We asked why it took so long and why people were kept waiting and they said they lacked the staff to handle it, although our server, polite and friendly as he was, looked like he was bored and trying to find stuff to do. On a busy holiday weekend on a Sunday, they should have staffed better if that was the problem. However, I will say the breakfast was very good and for the $21 sticker price, it would be a very good value as hotel breakfasts go.

Fourth, we had a very early flight on the departure day, so we went to the front desk to check out and make sure everything was handled the night prior. When I got the bill for the first room, I found a $4 charge for the bottle of water we used...although it was charged to the OTHER room I had. That room did not even HAVE a bottle placed in it at any time, although my parents later showed me a $4 tag that said "hydrate" which they found in THEIR room, but without any bottle of water. That tag was missing from my room. Next, they charged me for breakfast on one of the 2 days, which I had to have taken off. Now, they took it off, but that irritates me...I hate hotels where I have to analyze every corner of the bill for stuff like that. Next, I noticed a tax charge on the breakfast, and was told by the front desk that the breakfast was free, but the gratuity PLUS THE TAX was not. They charged me the added gratuity I put on it (thats fine..although many hotels cover that as well) AS WELL AS the sales tax??? Seriously? I have never heard of anything so ludicrous...the breakfast is free, but hey you owe us $3.22 for tax? Pathetic.

Fifth, I asked twice at check out if I needed to request a taxi for the next day or if there would be one waiting. I was assured there are ALWAYS taxis ready, which was important because when you are already getting up at 2am to get to the airport on time, every bit counts. Of course, when we went to get the taxi the next morning, they had to call one, which took another 15 minutes, and we ended up with a DIFFERENT cab, which happened to show up by chance, not even the one they called. Unreal again.

Overall, the service was friendly, the room was decent (nothing great, but not bad), and the breakfast was very good. However, no attempt was even made or offered to remove the $4 for the water which was NOT labelled and even charged to the WRONG room, one mistake or bout of incompetence after another just really marred the stay. We paid $340 plus taxes ($390 total) for 3 nights with 2 breakfasts, but based solely on this experience, I would not stay here again. However, they did reach out to me after I completed my survey via email about my stay and addressed my complaints and refunded me the water charges. Overall, I would say that based on the customer service post stay and the overall quality of the hotel itself when subtracting out the complaints, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency New Orleans, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear antonius66,

This is a very much appreciated first for us. It is very rare to have a guest amend a previous review. We thank you so much for doing so! I'm so happy to read that our team tried to remedy your issues, if there is anything else you would like to further discuss please feel free to reach me directly at wilma.cruz@hyatt.com.

Wilma C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Bedford, MA
Reviewed June 29, 2012

It isn't any one thing that earned this a 3 star but a hotel like the Hyatt has high expectations. The lobby is huge and uninviting. The colors are severe. The elevator set up is weird and can be really annoying if its very busy. You call an elevator and it directs you to a, b, c, etc depending on your floor. That elevator is full sometimes. Do you call another one? wait? Regular elevators are fine:this is a ain't broke don't fix it issue.

Conference facilities were impressive, lighting, video, sound, all top notch, though I was an attendee not a presenter. Didn't eat at any of the establishment in-house as we chose to go out.

Front desk and Concierge service was fine. Food service was a little lacking. Ran out of eggs at breakfast. One day all the signs describing what was on the buffet table were wrong. Totally wrong.

Internet is pricey, I used the free Wi-fi thru the conference. Taxis are abundant. Location is good though a hike to the east French Quarter. Rooms were small. Not sure I had a "REspite" room but I woke with a stuffy nose and puffy eyes daily so they can't be too hypo-allergenic.

Dear miechy,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We always appreciate when our guests provide constructive comments, especially our conference attendees. I'm happy to read you liked our conference facilities and you were able to explore some of the nearby restaurants! I'm sorry there were aspects of your experience that did not meet your expectations. If there is anything you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly at wilma.cruz@hyatt.com

Wilma C
New Orleans
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I enjoyed my recent overnight stay at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. I've never been one to go on about staying at a Hyatt, but noticed they had Respire, "Allergy Friendly" rooms and had to check it out.

As far as the actual room goes, it was comfortable and well appointed, though small. But the allergy free factors helped make it wonderful, and I'll be sure to plan on such stays in the future.

I cannot begin to say how many times I've had to check out of hotels shortly after checking in, due to allergic reactions to something or other. Whether it's chemicals in the carpet, gallons of air freshener or carpet refreshing dust, etc., etc., which all starts in with watering, itchy eyes, headaches, tightness of chest and wheezing, some of us just have to plan ahead and make sure we're getting an allergy/asthma friendly room. This Respire trend is helping a lot!

Even the soaps and shampoos were hypoallergenic, so there were none of the irritations which can go with that. And the Healthway air purifier worked wonders with particulate removal. I'm not sure whether or not it emits/removes ozone and gasses or not.

However, this is a major step in the right direction for anyone suffering with respiratory allergies,
reactive airway disease/asthma, I will definitely recommend this to everyone I know who suffers with any of the above.

Other factors in the hotel are a super friendly and helpful staff, who went out of their way to make everything comfortable and easy. Though, the refrigerator in the room did not work, and when I went to turn off the TV later at night, it would not shut off and a technician had to come up to fix it. While that went fairly quickly, it did involve getting dressed again when I would rather have been in bed sleeping. They seemed to act as if this were a common occurrence, so, if you're TV is having an issue at all, such as not being able to connect to room service to complete your order (no comment,) don't do what I did and ignore it, thinking everything is fine. Call early and tell the desk you believe there's an issue with the PC card on your TV.

While the food is typically pricey, it's no higher than comparable establishments. There is also a Rouse's Supermarket only two blocks away which is quite safe to walk to, and which has a great selection of foods, deli items, wines, beers, liquors, all at much more normalized prices.

All in all, it was a great stay and I would definitely recommend the Respire room to anyone interested in it.

Room Tip: Respire Allergy Friendly rooms are very worthwhile.
1 Thank ProKenneth
Dear ProKenneth,

I'm so thrilled you enjoyed your stay in the Respire Room! Guest comfort is a top priority for us and we're so happy to know that you were allergy free during your stay! Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm sure this overview will be helpful for other readers! We look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in New Orleans!

Warm Wishes,
Wilma C.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel was redone recently and looks amazing. The interiors are well designed and pleasing and just looks amazing. There is lots of seating areas throughout the first 3 floors of the hotel as well, which is nice. The hotel has a beautiful view of the Superdome next door and looks amazing when lit at night.

Some of the staff need to be retrained in customer service and also what it means to be welcoming to guests and smiling :-) Some staff need to change because they do not exhibit the necessary skills in providing a "Hyatt Experience" to guests. The Regency Club was okay but does not provide similar experience as most other club do. As an example, breakfast is continental style and there are no "proteins" offered at the club.

The gym / fitness room was very nice and had many machines for use, including a weight area. The guest rooms were nice and relaxing as were the beds. The view from my room was nice too. The location of the hotel is okay - although the city is constructing a cable car that will run from the front of the hotel to Canal Street and behind the convention center, to be ready shortly.

Internet service was ok. Don't bother getting the premium service as the service is really not premium at all. The hotel has gone high tech and offers in room ordering of different services including room service. The system has some flaws in it and hopefully the hotel will make the effort to fix them. If you want room service at a specific time, I recommend just calling down and ordering the "old fashioned" way.

2 Thank globbiztravel
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The renovations made to this hotel are absolutely gorgeous! The rooms were perfectly clean and very well appointed. The decor is luxurious but not stuffy. The staff went out of their way to help with anything from directions,dining suggestions to hailing cabs and carrying luggage. We got a great room rate through Priceline and would love to stay here again. Other cool things: workout room on 32nd floor has a panoramic view of entire city. Pool has great cabanas with full lounges at no charge. Views from elevators of the Superdome. Location is walkable to French Quarter but it's borderline. If you don't enjoy a long stroll take a cab.
Not so cool: must use valet to park on the property at $40 per day (we used the public lot one block away for $12/ day) Food and drink is pricey. Breakfast buffet was $21pp. We chose to eat at local authentic restaurants instead.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Warner0188
Milwaukee
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel is a bit overwhelming at first. It's huge. Very modern. It take two escalators to get to the main bank of elevators, but not a bad trek past very cool futuristic bars and restaurants. Banked seating with TVs, glass shelf see-through walls, large dominant forms. The art was good. The elevator banks are dialpad--you tell it where you want to go and a computer voice assigns you an elevator. A little sci fi , but I liked it. Glass elevators are still the traditional Hyatt high rides up a track. Nice views. Half look into the atrium, the other half the Superdome. Main restaurant/bar sits at the bottom of the 27-story atrium, awesome. The breakfast buffet is there, expensive at $21 but a nice selection (plus omelet bar). I give the staff high marks for hospitality and helpfulness. There is a Starbucks for a quick coffee (soul music soundtrack). The business center was set up for boarding passes. My room was comfortable, well-furnished. Loved the bed. They added a little extra security at the ends of the double horseshoe hallways with a keyed vestibule. End rooms have a corner view too. All in all, the only drawback is the long walk to the French Quarter. I mentioned to the desk clerk that a hotel of that magnitude might run a shuttle and they told me they plan to have a shuttle in the near future. The only other improvement they could make is to add some life and color to the atrium. Do a light show. Hang a super mobile. Show movies on the ceiling. Right now it's a bit severe. One of my fellow passengers in the elevator thought it had all the warmth of the Death Star. Still, for a ginormous convention hotel, it's very classy and the staff rocks. To a person, they were all friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Room Tip: End rooms have corner views and extra security with a keyed vestibule. Some of them have a little dr...
2 Thank Janet G
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I am writing this review after returning to this hotel at about 10:00 pm... And I must say that the negative reviews of this place in regards to its location now seem a bit exaggerated after having done a night ( albeit early ) walking to Bourbon myself. Even with construction, I felt totally safe returning to the building on Loyola after dark. Please don't let a few bad experiences dictate the overall perception of this beautiful property. I know I had a knot in my tummy after receiving my Priceline bid acceptance and reading the reviews for this Hyatt adjacent to the Superdome, but seriously, I don't understand. The French quarter and Riverwalk areas are totally walkable for anyone in good health, and the hotel itself is truly gorgeous (if not a bit overindulgent and cavernous in some spaces). Scary, it is not. Please don't fear this area as it is really VERY nice, though a bit fun to navigate to through the current Loyola construction by car. The elevators were no problem for us, even post-Bourbon. The architecture and surroundings, especially at night, are gorgeous and a very cool modern contrast to the old-world feel just a few blocks away. Check in was a breeze, very friendly staff and a very speedy explanation of how to get to our room. I couldn't be more pleased. I guess I should also mention that we ended up on floor 17 of the main tower... No trouble with the AC noise mentioned by other guests. 5 star experience at a 3 star price courtesy of Priceline, though I wouldn't hesitate to book here through property website in the future.

• Stayed June 2012