“Just what I was looking for!”

Sassafras Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sassafras Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #639 of 1,964 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant just opened a month ago in the Lakefront area. It was formerly located in the Best Western Avalon hotel.
“Just what I was looking for!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Excellent restaurant nestled in a strip mall. We spent 9 days on vacation with mediocre to horrible meals here. This was suggested by attendant at nearby airport. Wait staff was prompt & pleasant. Food was great! Will return again next trip.

“Great Food”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

While I'm not from here, this is the flavor I expected for Cajun. Prices were reasonable. Taste was great!

I tried the hamburger with sausage mixed in. My wife had the pork chop. Both were exceptional.

Slidell,LA
“Good Creole Food”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was a nice surprise. The decor was nice and clean. The wait staff was friendly. The food was really good. The gumbo was filled with meat and had a nice flavor. The fried chicken was hot and tasty. If you want a quick lunch spot, this isn't for you unless you order the special. If you have time to sit back and enjoy your food, this is the place for you. Everything is cooked to order, so that's why it might take about 20 mins to get something like fried chicken. I don't mind waiting for good hot well cooked food. I definitely recommend that you give them a try.

1 Thank MardiGrasFun
Atlanta
“My friends were disappointed...”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My friends and I went to Sassafras on a Saturday night during the Essence Festival and based on the recommendations we got from the locals we expected it to be packed....there were only two other customers in the restaurant. Disappointment struck as soon as my friends learned that they didn't serve Jambalaya. Next disappointment came when one of my travel buddies had to send her food back because the restaurant was out of Grit Cakes. The other ladies with me all ordered fried menu items for fear of not liking the other options. I took a chance with broiled redfish, pontilly potatoes, and green beans and my food was delicious. I'd have to give the restaurant a 3 just because the other patrons I was with were unhappy and I did think it was a bit on the ridiculous side to not have Grit Cakes during an extremely busy weekend like Essence....especially when the restaurant was already empty to begin with. To end on a high note the service was good and the staff was friendly. Sorry Sassafras,but I probably won't return.

• Visited July 2013
North Houston, Texas
“Good prices, great service, the food was tasty”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My best friend, husband and I went to Sassafras too hungry for words. We were greeted by an energetic and knowledgeable staff. They knew the menu inside and out. I had the shrimp trio and my husband had the gumbo. We all shared the spinach and artichoke dip which was cream and good. Then for the key. The food was tasty but not indicative of the rich flavors one would expect from a cajun spot. The food was tamed down for pansy mouths and the like. Everything we eat in New Orleans is seasoned within an inch of its life.

In this case, it was slightly healthier than other restaurant food I have encountered. What does that mean? If you like high seasoned food, this is not the joint, the flavors were more subtle and subdued. The biggest burst of flavor was the Praline Cheesecake. Definitely leave room that. The prices were excellent and the portions made me feel like it was my Momma serving me. They are not tight on the shrimps or the baked macaroni and cheese. I loved it and had fun, it was cozy and nicely decorated. I will go back again.

• Visited October 2012