“NOLA favorite!”

Neighborhood: Mid-City
Cross street: Scott St
Transit: Along the Canal Street Car Line
Reviewed January 24, 2013

After dining at such restaurants as Dick and Jenny's, Jacques Imo's, Sylvain, and Commander's Palace, I thought I'd visited the very best of New Orleans. I was wrong. I've found my new favorite New Orleans restaurant.

I made reservations at Redemption for a Friday night. As mentioned in prior reviews, it is located in an old church. Upon entering, there is a small bar but the rest of the restaurant is completely open, which is quite refreshing. The tables are spaced far enough apart that you can actually talk with your own group rather than hearing others at nearby tables (one of my pet peeves with other NOLA restaurants...they crowd you in until you feel like you are dining with strangers).

Service was impeccable. We were promptly seated and offered drinks as our fellow diners arrived individually. I was especially impressed that, although one of our diners was thirty minutes late, they never made us feel rushed to order anything. Although our waiter was always nearby if we needed anything.

I ordered the Baked Stuffed Shrimp and I can without a doubt say it was the best meal I've ever had in New Orleans (which, when you are talking about NOLA, is saying a lot). The shrimp were fresh and perfectly prepared. In fact, everyone enjoyed their entrees, some of which were the Sauteed Gulf Fish (which on this night was Speckled Trout), and the Filet of Beef.

We also really enjoyed the live music. It was just loud enough to enjoy but not so loud that we couldn't hear each other.

As we left, we were greeted by a man and woman (who I am assuming were either managers or owners, or a combination of the two). They seemed genuinely pleased that we enjoyed our meals and made us feel as if they really appreciated our business.

Obviously, I highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return when I find myself back in the Big Easy!

1  Thank phw0923

Reviewed January 7, 2013

That was strikingly appealing to me. I travel frequently and dine out about 3-4 times per night and I consider myself a foodie.

I enjoyed the fact that the host was very attentive and hospitable, I did not get his name but he even thanked me for choosing Redemption. My waitress Lisa was also very nice.

I had heard so many good things about the restaurant and not wanting to look for another place to dine, I finally, I decided upon the Cold Smoked Soft Shell Crab it was disappointing. The battered covered fried shell was chewy and the inside was mushy and bathed in a tasty sauce. My napkin was the receptacle of most of my food, I got tired of chewing.

My main dish was the Cold Smoked and Oven Roasted Breast of Duck, Duck Liver and Foie Gras Scented “Dirty Rice” Risotto, Sautéed Greens and served with Poached Pear and Aromatic Wine Reduction. When it arrived I was so excited and hungry. My first piece of duck was gamy not at all what I expected from slice duck breast. The rice was plentiful and good but and so were the greens. I'm a protein kind of girl. So I cut the skin off of my duck and went at by cutting it in to chewable little pieces I could chew until it until it was all gone. When another waiter came by my table and asked if I was done and did I want a box. I said, Yes, I'm done and no box is necessary. He looked at me and said I gonna tell Lisa. I thought to myself, why didn't he just take my plate -- am I in trouble... is she in trouble. LOL

I did not complain about the food. I know what I like and placed the order. It is,what it is... I chalked it up to southern, creole preparation. I am Yankee and we do things differently.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Have now been to Redemption several times over the past year, and each time it has been excellent. For any enthusiasts of soft shell crab, it is a must, but everything we have tried here has been very very good. An added bonus is that the tables are spaced far enough apart and the ceiling vaulted (as a former church) so that even with a large party, it is easy to carry on a conversation everyone can hear - a rarity in NOLA. Service is excellent as well. Off the beaten path, but well worth a trip !

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son and I are salivating just trying to decribe our dinner Dec 22,2012. We started with Flash Fried Oysters Bruschetta served with a Creamy Smoked Tomato and Maytag Blue Cheese Vinaigrette($14), fried calamari, and tomato soupe de jour. Wow-za!
Great choice !!
Then I had the Mussels special with potato and apples - Very tasty.
And my son had Sautéed Fillet of Flounder, Shrimp Stuffed Mirlton, Fried Green Tomato, and served with a Sherry Scented Crawfish Cream ($24)
For dessert:
Banana Fritters, tempura battered, house coconut gelato, chocolate drizzle ($8).
Everything was delivered hot and seamlessly.
I will return.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I know that Redemption is a new-ish restaurant and for that reason, I want to say that in time, it may be worth a re-visit or a second chance. However, currently it is a disappointment.

The ambiance is initially nice. The fact that it is a renovated church is initially cool but it does not follow through on that as a theme or concept. I really wish it did. Once inside, it feels very empty and not engaging. That may be due to the fact that only one other table was taken when I was there but still....

The food was completely adequate. Very little on the menu really "jumped" or made us excited to try it. My husband really felt that he settled for the entree he got. The dishes themselves really ranged in quality. Nothing I had was especially good. My soup of the day was underseasoned and really did not have the flavor notes it was described as having. My greens of my entree were incredibly salty but if I made one large bite with both the greens, risotto, and duck, then it kind of worked (but only kind of). Another person in my party had two very good dishes. The stand out was the dessert crepes - perfectly constructed (not too thin, not too thick), well dressed (not too sweet, not too creamy). However, my mother's dessert was overdressed with chocolate to the point it really masked some of the other flavors.

So, I hope that Redemption keeps at it. The service was very nice and responsive which is not always the case in New Orleans. So, might be worth another visit in a year or two.