“Tastes like Spain!”

Cuisines: European, Spanish
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just came from Spain this year and this tastes just like it! Especially the do it yourself tapas- excellent idea.. involves you in the food (a cultural experience- how you would eat it IN Spain). The decor is beautiful and cozy.

1  Thank maymay419

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you want a taste of Spain, this is the place. My fiancé and I returned from Spain a month ago and had to try this restaurant. We were transported back to Europe through the atmosphere, friendly service and especially the food. The owner is from Barcelona and is extremely friendly and waits his own tables. The interior of the restaurant reminds me of a Spanish hacienda. Just a great place!

1  Thank GSM0408
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I were trying restaurants outside the Quarter and happened by accident across this little gem in the river bend area. A local happened to walk by and raved about the food. We came back later the next evening and were met by Xavier, a talkative and informative master Chef who just exudes passion for his craft. We enjoyed his take on classic sangria which eschews the usual glut of citrus for a simple honest apple flavor. Clean but not cloying; it paired perfectly with all of our selections. The "sushi" style ordering form makes perfect sense given the number of food items typically chosen, contrary to what some detractors might say. We started with Gazpacho, which was extraordinary, and Ceviche'. The Ceviche' was perfectly marinated and quite different from the usual Mexican style we were used to. The eggplant was quite tasty as were the Spanish Piquant peppers on toasted rounds. The real standouts were the fried potatoes in spicy aioli sauce and the hot garlic shrimp. Later I just had to try the lamb, which was perfectly cooked and so tender it practically fell off the bone. We finished with a smooth caramel flan which was neither overly sweet nor eggy as some Mexican flans tend to be.
But by far the most interesting part of the meal was getting to talk candidly to one of the top five Chefs in New Orleans. Chef Laurentino demonstrates a true passion for food, having thought carefully and meticulously about every single dish. He took pride in his restaurant which her personally by his own hand restored from an old house. The interior has an authentic but comfortable ambience with gorgeous wood salvaged from original construction boards. I was surprised to be one of only three couples we saw during our two hour stay, but it was a slow Wednesday night. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. Do be careful not to go crazy with the variety of choices, however. Each dish is reasonable, but like most tapas cafe's, it's not a place to stuff yourself into gastronomic stupor and expect to do so on a budget. Eat slowly and really take the time to savor each little morsel.

1  Thank SJBrumage
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Some of the best lamb anywhere. We really like the menu and have always been happy with our choices. The staff works hard to please and the owner is often onhand asking guests for input. We like the atmosphere. Street parking is usually easy to come by and we've never had to wait for a table so it's not only a good meal but it's a relaxing experience as well.

1  Thank Anne W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'd like to say that this place is doing a good job with what they have to work with, but they're not. To begin with, they actually tell you to order "sushi style." You are given a slip of paper with some, not all, of the items on the menu, and you are supposed to figure out which ones you would like, circle them, and hand the paper to the server. But the server neglected to mention the items on the menu that the restaurant no longer serves (which of course we had selected and so needed to reconsider). The server also neglected to take our drink orders promptly when we arrived; too bad, because I would have liked some wine before dinner.

When the food came, out of the five or six tapas that we ordered the only one I can really recommend as being very good was the avocado and shrimp salad. The eggplant/veggie tapa was mushy, the bomba was boring, and the platains were too salty. I cannot recommend mushy, boring, or overly salty food. The garlic/tomato toast tapas are not worth the trouble, they should have come out of the kitchen fully prepared but the diner is expected to grind the garlic and tomato into the toast, drizzle it with olive oil, and sprinkle it with salt before assembling the other ingredients. I cannot recommend do-it-yourself tapas that leave your fingers smelling like garlic any more than I can recommend do-it-yourself sushi that leaves your fingers smelling like...well, you get the picture.

The dining area is chopped into several sections by various arched openings, but the tables in each section are either too small or too close together.

My suggestions (are you listening, management?) are to (1) replace the sushi-style ordering procedure with actual human interaction; you have pleasant, bilingual servers who could be an asset if you would allow them. If they are too busy, start by hiring some bus help. (2) rearrange the tables so they are not so close together (3) modify the menu to eliminate all of the mushy, boring, salty, and do-it-yourself food.

1  Thank StCharlesLA