“Great Food and Atmosphere”
Review of The velvet Cactus

The velvet Cactus
Ranked #523 of 1,939 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lakeview
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Where do you want to sit? Inside? Outside? no matter at the Velvet Cactus. The ambiance flows into every nook and cranny. Gorgeous Bar, Well Stocked especially for you Tequila lovers! Food hit the tables hot, fresh and tasty. Wait staff was awesome and hip. Great place for family with kids. Might be a bit loud on a busy night for a quaint setting....Thats what outside sitting is for, find a corner!

• Visited June 2012

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Pre Made Enchidalas? Why???”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

So this was our second visit to the velvet cactus. The food is at best, average. I requested that my enchiladas be made with white flour tortillas and the waitress went to check to see if they could do that. She came back and told us that they were premade because their kitchen is too small.

What?!?! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It takes all of 2 seconds to roll a new enchilada. And they were absolutely not willing to make me 3 new ones. I felt like I was at the nazi soup kitchen on Seinfeld.

Not even willing to work with a customer. What a total turn off. I too am a business owner. Sometimes you need to be flexible or you will lose customers.

So no enchiladas for me. I decided to go with the 3 dip combination. It came with cheese, quac and been dip. The guacamole and been dip were old and awful. I cannot understand that, "the kitchen is too small to roll you a fresh enchilada." There is a smaller Mexican restaurant up the street called El Gato Negro. They for sure will roll you any kind of enchilada you wish to have. Next time, they will be rolling one with my name on it.

If there was one glimmer of hope for this place, it was the margarita. They make a very good margarita.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lisa M
toledo
“Salt in the salsa was the low point”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Saturday evening meal w/family; good service and food including 2 kids meals plus a G/F enchilada and pulled pork tacos w/soft corn tortillas. Good but weakish ice tea and a satisfactory margy and draft Dos Equis. Chips were fine and warm; salsa burned my mouth from salt; spice level medium and OK. Server said a less salt salsa not available. Background atmosphere music not Mex; covers from whatever in late 60's. Not bad for Saturday evening except for the salsa. Nice to wear a jacket in comfort.

• Visited December 2012
Metairie, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“happy holiday dinner”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I loved the atmosphere in the outside dining area, fully equipped with heat lamps and Christmas décor. I enjoyed every bite of my enchiladas. At first since it was chilly I thought I wanted to sit inside but they sat us inside near the server screens and I just wasn’t feeling it. After I moved outside I realized that is the place to be. Cute Mexican blankets to line you chair with and cozy tree cover made it a lovely night out. Plus the patron margaritas were two for one!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Natalie W
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A Really Fun Place with Average Food”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had heard about this restaurant several times over the last few months and were looking forward to trying it. An opportunity to eat there sprung up so we went with it. It is a very entertaining place both visually and in atmosphere. We tried their signature margaritas and some of the more ambitious things on the menu. The margarita was ok, but for $11, we expected more. The crawfish appetizer was good, however the Louisiana seafood boil quesadillas were not. The flavors and seasoning were somewhat off. The summary around the table was that the food was passable but far from the excellent Mexican cuisine we have experienced at other restaurants resulting in an average grade.

• Visited November 2012