“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2004

The hotel was OK, nothing spectacular, although the location is prime. Stayed here w/ my husband during a conference at the end of April 2004. (Would have preferred to stay at the Marriott just a few steps next door, but they were already booked and their price was slightly higher). Our hotel room had some sort of leak which made the carpeting near our bed soaking wet the 2nd night we stayed there. We informed the front desk who sent someone up later that day, but we were told it couldn't be fixed during the remainder of our stay. We thought management would have at least offered to move us to another room, but they didn't. Also, I was trying to mail a package during our stay there. I asked about 3 different staff people for directions to the Post Office, and believe it or not, none of them were sure exactly where it was! They gave me 3 different locations/directions, and I never did find it. Finally, I asked another person at the front desk, who then told me that they could mail it out for me from the hotel. So I left the package, which contained highly important information and a check, with the front desk representative. 2 months later, the package still HAS NOT been delivered to the recipient! Quite appalling. I called the hotel and they could not locate the package. I was told that mail wasn't the most reliable in the New Orleans area (be aware). Needless to say, I had to put a "stop-payment" on the check, but the hotel didn't offer to compensate me on anything. I highly doubt we would ever stay in this hotel again, nor would we recommend it to any of our friends or family.

2 Thank FXBGmomOf2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2004

There is a reason why the Astor displays a room replica in the window--the centerpiece being the HEAVENLY bed. Sterile white sheets and a fluffy comforter encased in a freshly cleaned white linen duvet grace the top of what can only be described as the most comfortable bed in the world! While muted music and mild revelry can be heard late at night, the sumptuous softness soothes the senses and provides the catalyst for a superb night's sleep. The Astor's staff is friendly and accomodating. There is a (very small) rooftop pool and spa for taking a break from the afternoon heat. The only thing about this hotel that prevents me from rating it "Excellent" is its parking setup. It appears from check-in that you are being provided a traditional valet parking service; however, upon check-out you will discover that you will need to load all of your luggage onto a shuttle bus and ride to a parking lot situated several blocks away in Fauberg Treme. To those who pack lightly, this may be of little inconvenience, but to others, like myself, who are traveling with children and must expect the unexpected, it can be quite a hassle loading and unloading. With this in mind, you can organize your luggage in an efficient manner to prevent hazards in the after-check-out transition.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2004

I was a little apprehensive about making a reservation at a hotel that I didn't get a recommendation. All my fears quickly went away when we walked through the front door. Excellent location, excellant staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2004

We had a large group visit the French Quarter for Easter and all stayed at the Astor. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was immaculate and friendly (although some of our rooms weren't made until dinnertime.) The hotel is in a great location - within walking distance of everything: bars, restaurants, shops and more bars. A side note: we found a great little bar/restaurant across from Margaritaville called Coops - great food at very reasonable prices and the atmosphere is fun, comfortable. Great experience all around!!!! I highly recommend the Astor - I would stay there again and again...

• Stayed April 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2004

The Crowne Plaza was fabulous. Great location, good price and excellent service! We could not have been happier.

Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2004

Great location, nice room, suprisingly found the housekeeping to be shoddy for this type of hotel. The parking is a joke as outlined below.
This is compounded by lack of clarity as to to checkout procedure. We ended up paying cash at the garage (no formal receipt was given, informal after direct request). Staff was pleasant. Pool not as nice as Royal Sonesta which has outdoor bar service and better pool and sunning area.If it was close I would go with Royal Sonesta. I would return to this hotel if the rate was ok.

• Stayed January 2005
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank dwkestner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2004

My girlfriend and I stayed for 6 nights over Easter. This hotel has a great location as it relates to Bourbon St, the French Quarter, and easy access to the Riverwalk area. Also, you can catch the streetcar right out front. Only two areas of concern with the hotel. We could not get a carafe for the coffee maker even though we asked at the front desk and called there twice. I think these must get broken and they do not have extras. Also the ice machine apparently leaked and water came into the room under the door. This made the floor near the door wet. We did not make a big deal of these but I'm sure if we complained more they would have moved us. Overall a very nice location and a good hotel for the price.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member