“Not my first choice of hotels in New Orleans.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
Ranked #101 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Mexico City, Mexico
“Not my first choice of hotels in New Orleans.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend. The room was ok, but bathroom cleanliness is not their best attribute. The AC did not work properly the second night. Also, you could not call valet for your car, you had to request in person. On two occasions, I waited for approximately one hour for my car, as they brought the wrong car, twice. Valet needs to improve, they were friendly, but unconcerned. I will think twice about staying here in the future.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Ashton B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Deep River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

During a brief visit to New Orleans we stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza Hotel. It is perfectly situated bordering the French Quarter at the corner of Canal and Bourbon Street and within easy walking distance to shops and many attractions. The staff was friendly, the room was spacious for a downtown location, well equipped, and the whole unit was very clean.

On the downside the bed was very high and not being tall, I literally had to climb into the bed and getting out was a dropping off. I have no idea how a less agile person can manage.The bath was in need of upgrade.The shower itself was very nice but the bathtab had 3 fairly large black chipmarks, the cover of the shower dial was missing exposing the raw edges of the tiles and the temperature dial was so faded making it barely visible. The hairdryer was not very user friendly. There was no “on” switch only a small rubber reset button on the side to turn it on. It had to be pressed really hard which I found out on the second day. Free Internet was only provided in the lobby not in the room. We were travelling for 2 weeks staying at various places and even far less costly places provided free in-room Internet and up to date bathroom fixtures.

• 2 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My room was up high on the canal st side I was on the 13th floor. Anytime I had a problem front desk took care of my issues but when I asked to speak with a manager I was transferred to a Melissa who never answered. Meagan and Britney were very helpful with food and music places and also get the maintenance guys to fix my a/c and toilet promptly. Overall my stay was pleasant and I can assure you I will be back.

• Stayed May 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at Astor for 2 nights during the Memorial Day holiday. We always consulted Trip Advisor before booking a hotel for our holiday. Unfortunately most of the top rated hotel were already fully booked due to long week-end. Initially we were a bit cautious to book Astor because it was in the mid range of hotel rating in New Orleans. But what a surprise ! The hotel is in a great location in French Quarter, close to good restaurants and Bourbon St if you are up to parties and stuff; but still quiet enough so you can get good sleep. The room is huge and beds are comfortable.
There are few bad reviews related to the valet parking, so we prepared ourself for the worst. Again, we were surprised that they are actually are quite efficient and helpful. They charged $31 for overnight parking. This is a fair price considering the location of the hotel is in the middle of attraction and I have no problem spending few extra dollars for that. I notice some hotels nearby charged $38 for valet. Overall : recommended.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed at this property for 4 nights between May 19 - 23rd. We arrived early on the first day, long before check in time. Alysha at the front desk was was fantastic and found a room for us on the 6th floor overlooking the pool and Bourbon Street. I was grateful that she was able to do this as we were both not feeling well and needed to lay down and rest. Alysha even called up to the room a couple of hours later to ask if we were comfortable in the room - now that's great customer service!

I was very pleased with the comfort of the room, especially the beds. The beds are wonderful and I had a better night sleep at the Crowne than I do at home!

The timing for housekeeping was hit and miss, sometimes they came in the morning around 9am and twice we came back to the room at 3pm and found that they hadn't arrived yet. A quick phone call to housekeeping and an attendant came promptly to make the beds, replace towels, etc. We were only offered a turn down service on the first night we arrived. The housekeeping staff are efficient you may just need to request an ealier service if that's what you require. I don't think this is unusual in New Orleans as I have experienced the same thing at other properties.

The hotel is in a great location. Streetcars are accessible right outside the front door. Shopping on Royal Street is a block away, Canal Street shops out the front door, Walgreens and CVS a block away. There are many, many great restaurants within walking distance with the Bourbon House onsite which serves great seafood.

I would recommend this property and would definately stay again on my next visit to NOLA.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 154943Jane
farmington hills michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Both my wife and I found that Paul the concierge went way out of his way to help us enjoy every aspect of planning our itinerary in New Orleans,This was the first time in the city and he was very knowledgeable and efficient along with being very personable in our dealings with him. Top Knotch

Room Tip: Up Up and higher to get away from street noise.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

First...the good: The Hotel was nice, location great, located at the corner of Bourbon/Canal. This was great because you can easily walk (< 1 minute) down Bourbon St. for the night life, Hit CVS or Wall Greens right across the street if you need anything or hop on the trolly-street car that takes you into the Garden District. There are plenty of shops along canal as well. Also if you book tours, Its easy for the tour shuttles to park in front of the Hotel and pick you up since Canal is a large boulevard. They have a bar in the lobby thats nice, clean but small. The pool area is fair but the area around it is nice. The rooms were nice, cozy and very comfortable!!! Valet parking was $30/night which is standard for the industry. The business center was great, You can use the computer and print stuff for free. There were only 3 computers so I'd recommend going early or during off hours if you need to get stuff done for work etc. The second floor has a balcony that was great looking down on Bourbon street that have no seats but tables to set your drinks on. No glass allowed up there for obvious reasons. The staff with the exception of Brittany at the front desk (mid shift) were very nice and helpful.

The not-so-good: I don't like sounding negative but I got to write an honest review. I stayed there 5 nights and would leave the room by 8:00 AM and return by 5:00 PM with no new towels nor the room cleaned every day of my stay. I'd have to call daily and request towels and cleaning. (the cleanings not a big deal but the towels I prefer changed) The staff was very nice and friendly when cleaning. The walls were thin...at least in our room. We could here very loudly the sinks being turned on, the showers running, people dropping things in the shower, toilets flushing. It didn't ruin any sleep or anything but just thought I'd mention it because we thought it was odd...that it was sooo loud.

My worst experience of my stay was dealing with Brittany at the front desk.....I approach the front desk as she was talking to her co-worker about what she wants to do when she gets out of work tonight, I didn't interrupt because I thought she would stop and then assist me...uh nope she when on for 3 minutes until I finally asked if they were "open" after rolling her eyes and exhaling irritatedly she looked up and said with a VERY bad attitude "Yes...what did you need?" I don't want to make this review super long but I had the misfortune of dealing with her 3 more times....all 3 times she had the lazy, I don't want to be here attitude. I must say this bothered me the most because I couldn't believe the RUDENESS and LAZY attitude of this person....So traveler's BEWARE!! Approach with caution when you see Brittany...age 20-25 African American Female working the front desk. I didn't complain to the Management because I had my 87 year old Grand Father with me who hadn't been to NOLA since 1944 and is a WWII Vet. and that day I was taking him to the WWII Museum and with tours scheduled everyday I didn't want to have a time consuming delay by complaining about a bad employee.

Aside from that, the stay was nice. Sometimes you got to take the good with the bad. All the other staff aside from Brittany were wonderful!! There was a huge wireless convention in town and that may have contributed to the rooms not getting cleaned etc..

Happy Travels

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DWFRN1
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear DWFRN,

Thank you for choosing us to stay with. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and had a good experience.

I am sorry to hear you received service that was less than satisfactory by one of our front desk agents. This is not the type of service you would expect from our hotel. This will certainly be looked into.

I sincerely hope you get the chance to stay with us again. And if there is anything you need don't hesitate to ask.

Katie J