“Nice place in the French Quarter”

Le Richelieu in the French Quarter
Ranked #35 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
“Nice place in the French Quarter”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a great hotel as far as location and price!
Clean.
Friendly staff.
On the edge of the French Quarter, so it's pretty quiet but close to everything.
Large rooms make it a great place to spend a few nights.
I would stay here again!

2 Thank Rebecca B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
mullica hill, nj
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel exceeding my expectations! First off, the location was perfect. On the fringe of the French Quarter, close to Bourbon and all the craziness. Also, Close to Frenchman Street with Great clubs and fabulous music. We were walking distance from everything New Orleans has to offer. The entire staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. Love that you leave your key when you go out. Never have the worry about who had the key, plus you had a friendly face waiting for you when you returned. Our room was old world style, spacious, clean and comfortable. Felt like we were staying in someones home. We had such a great stay that we extended our visit, the staff was great about finding us a room and moving our stuff for us. Absolutely will stay at "LeRichelieu" every time we visit NOLA!

2 Thank marleycat25
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel is near the edge of the French Quarter so it is a away from the crazy stuff of Bourbon Street but still close to everything so its all walkable. The hotel itself is very dated and seems to be stuck in the 60's but still comfortable. I believe it may have been apartments once upon a time that they converted into a hotel so you could luck out and get a suite with a walk-in kitchen but no working appliances. The hotel is very old school where you get a metal key and you turn it in when you leave the hotel, and pick it up when you return. Reminds me of a James Bond movie; "Any messages for Mr. Bond?".

The staff were friendly and helpful. I accidently left a sports coat in the closet when I checked out and didn't realized it until I was already at the airport So quickly called at the gate and asked them to look for it. They took my information down and the housekeeping staff would look into it the next day. Several days went by and I didn't hear anything from them. So when I called about it I was surprised they had already put it in the mail to me without asking me to pay for it. I got home that night and my jacket had just arrived. Thanks Le Richelieu!

If you want a clean, fairly quiet, and inexpensive place in the French Quarter, check out the Le Richelieu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up and/or away from the street side. They will be quieter.
2 Thank edy00
Rockville, MD
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I were in New Orleans for a wedding last weekend (my first visit there), and the title of this review sums up why we would stay at this hotel again if we ever return to New Orleans. As others have noted, it is on the edge of the French Quarter in or next to a residential area. I was worried about noise at night but it was completely quiet, and we slept very well in the comfortable bed. Probably not all rooms would be equally quiet, but the woman at the front desk was nice enough to upgrade us to a suite on the third floor. (I had requested a high floor in a quiet location when I made the reservation, but the room we were initially assigned was on the first floor. I asked nicely if it would be possible to change--at first the answer was no because they were full, but after a second look we were given the suite.) The suite was located far from the elevator in a hall with only a couple of rooms, and it looked out over the parking lot (this was fine, we did not care about the view). Another nice feature are the heavy room-darkening drapes, which kept light out in the morning and may also muffle noise.
The decor is old-fashioned and the hotel does show its age, but the room was clean and the bathroom facilities were fine even though not modern. My only complaint is that the air conditioning was set too high for comfort and our attempt to lower it did not make much difference. But that's partly our fault for not calling the front desk to see if they could send someone to adjust it. Also, I would have been OK if I had brought a sweater and pants, but I had only packed the lightest clothing thinking it would be very hot and muggy in New Orleans.
The price we paid was a bargain, especially considering the upgrade.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the parking lot may be quieter.
1 Thank freedshop
Abington
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was generally pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It is located on the edge of the French Quarter next to the residential area. The front desk staff was generally pleasant and helpful. I was staying there by myself and the front desk gave me some tips on where to avoid. I generally felt safe in the area. I was looking for a smaller hotel and had the NOLA/French quarter feel and charm and I felt this hotel lived up to that.

I arrived early before check in and was able to leave my bags at the front desk. There is a café that severs food until 2 so I went there to get something to eat. Before my food arrived my room was ready and the front desk clerk came and found me. The wait staff in the café was very nice and friendly.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from my room because I had the standard room. It was one of the cheapest places I could find at the time located in the French Quarter. I honestly expected a small room, but was happy that it wasn’t. While the room décor isn’t modern and up to date, it was still comfortable and fulfilled its purpose. The bathroom was a good size. The vanity was big enough to have 2 sinks, but it only had 1, which worked out just fine because there was plenty of counter space to put all my toiletries. The closest was actually a walk in, which I thought was great. The mini-ridge was located in there. The bed was queen and firm, which I liked. There was a balcony that wrapped around the floor I was on, there is no separation on the balcony between rooms.

The room was also clean. The walls are a little thin, one night I could hear people in the next room talking. But I think most places in the French quarter are like that. One small thing I loved in the room was a radio that was also an iPhone/iPod dock. So if you have one and forget your charger, not worries!

One thing I thought was a little weird was that you have to leave your room key at the front desk when you leave each time. They said it was an old southern tradition. There was a security guard in the lobby any time I came in.

It is located about 3 streets from Bourbon and it within walking distance from everything in the French Quarter. The café does not serve dinner so you do need to go our every night.

The front desk staff was always willing to answer questions. One thing that threw me was one night I was out and there was no bus at that time I needed a cab to get back to the hotel and there weren’t any in the area. I called the hotel for them to arrange a cab for me, but all they did was give me the number. Would have been nice if they called and arranged it for me.

If I get a chance to go back to New Orleans I would most likely stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Emily S
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great little hotel in the quieter part of the Quarter. The staff was knowledgeable of the area, directed us to a nice little convenience store, booked tours for us and had nice recommendations for for attractions to see and places to eat. All the attractions of the French Quarter are within easy walking distance. There is a pastry shop right around the corner worth visiting. We did not visit the bar but did enjoy the pool area in the heat of the day. This hotel has actual keys to the rooms, not plastic cards and holds your key while you are out of the room so no danger of losing your room key. I would absolutely stay here on my next visit to NOLA.

2 Thank tjb055
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Perfect little find in the French quarter. Quiet, charming, clean and well located. We just returned from a one week stay, and I have to say, Le Richelieu was the best part of our trip. The rooms are spacious and we had a very comfy King bed, so we didn't miss home at all. The decor is old world, so if you are into modern, this is not your stop, but we loved it. Nice courtyard with a great salt water pool and a nice little bar. Great place to relax after a long day of walking and gawking.
Close to Frenchman street for the best music and near many great restaurants. Do not miss Irene's, just 2 blocks away, fab food.
If I find myself back in New Orleans, it will definately be at Le Richelieu