“Great Hotel in the NOLA” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal St Charles Hotel

Royal St Charles Hotel
Ranked #54 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Great Hotel in the NOLA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

THis hotel is awesome! The location is terrific. Our room was clean and fresh. We had a city view to die for! The hotel recently went through major updating. The only draw back is there
is a "resort fee" of $10. That aside its a super nice place to stay. We highly suggest anyone
going to the NOLA to check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for upper levels. Noise factor becomes less of an issue.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Check in at 4. Out at 11. Really? It's NOLA. $10.00 daily fee for safe, fit center, Internet. Should be part of price! And I don't need any of it. Just really tacky . Tiny tiny room. Comfy bed. Front desk ladies are not friendly or helpful! Toilet is way too close to bed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tulsa33
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is fabulous, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting NOLA! It has been updated and has a really fresh, funky vibe that continues to the rooms. After reading some reviews on TA regarding internal rooms with no windows and concerns about small room size and noise from the street cars, we asked to be assigned an external high floor room with a side-street view, which we were easily accommodated.

We stayed on the 9th floor overlooking a parking garage next door. The room was compact but more than fine for two people - anyway, when you're in NOLA, I think you're doing something wrong if you're spending all your time in a hotel room! We basically were out all day and just needed somewhere to sleep, and this is perfect. The beds are SO comfortable!

The location could not be better. The French Quarter is right on your doorstep, with Cafe du Monde and Jackson Square about 15 minutes walk away (completely flat, with plenty of lovely shops along Royal Street to distract you along the way) and the furthest party section of Bourbon Street also maybe 15 minutes away... It's ideal - you can participate in all the action during the day but be close enough to pop back to the hotel to freshen up for the night ahead.

We found car parking at Tulane right across from Emergency for $3.95 per day - perfectly safe and about a 10 minute walk (flat) to/from the hotel. It was great to be able to leave the car there as you certainly don't need it while staying here, unless you want to go to a Plantation, or swamp tour. Street cars are very convenient to get around, if necessary - get the $3 all day pass.

Wifi works well on the 9th floor.

The ONLY problem I have with this is the $9.95 "amenities fee" - I don't know what amenities we were having to pay extra for so I thought this was kind of ridiculous. However, having paid very little per night on a priceline.com bid, I really can't complain about factoring in an extra $10 into the cost per night. It is really boutique style accommodation, very clean, comfortable, and extremely well located. Really ticks all the boxes and more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I just wanted a little weekend getaway to ourselves. The hotel was conveniently located at the corner of Royal and Canal. To the right you had the Harrah’s casino and Riverwalk, to the left you had Bourbon Street and further down (10-15 minute walk) was the famous Café Du Monde and French Market area. The hotel was updated and modern. They had the well-known-better-than-Starbucks coffee shop, PJ’s downstairs. We got booked in a 2 full sized bed room, no clue why as we were clearly a couple, but that wasn’t much of hassle. The bathroom was nice and clean, but had little counter space to get ready. There was no refrigerator or microwave, but who needs that when you have streets full of bars and restaurants to go to. Our room was relatively quiet for being so close to all the action; however, the walls are a bit thin and we heard our neighbor’s children screaming from time to time. There was an additional mandatory fee of 9.95$ for the use of their “amenities,” and you have the option of a 32$ valet fee or parking it yourself for 16$ two blocks away (I highly recommend this, it’s not that far of a walk to save half off to use the same parking garage they use for valet). The only bad experience at the hotel was waiting for the elevators to check out. We were on the 5th floor and for some reason, only 1 elevator was working and every time that one elevator came, it was too crowded to ride. So we resorted to the stairs. It gave us our “workout” since we ate so much good food in Nola, but hauling down armfuls of luggage 5 flights of stairs gets tiresome. Anyhow, great hotel, great steal, great location, I’d highly recommend this place.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Location, Location, Location! That paired with this updated boutique hotel made for an amazing visit to New Orleans. Clean room, comfy bed and a "noise free" sleep. The rooms have recently been updated with a 'chic' look and feel.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

After searching priceline and the internet vigorously, I thought finding a decent hotel in the Quarter vicinity was impossible. That was until I came across the Royal St Charles. I went directly to the website and found AAA pricing much less than many hotels in the area. Not knowing anything about the hotel, I took a risk and booked it. We arrived at our room and it was clean , large flat screen tv, desk and an ok view on the street car side. Prior to arriving I requested a queen bed with a window, but I received two doubles instead; however upon calling the front desk they offred a queen with no window the next day. Though, a double was not sufficient for my boyfriend and I , we stuck it out for the sake of sunlight and view.

My only negative comment would be that the bathroom had no counter space, one towel had "residuals" of the last guest, which I did not discover until half-way through its use (gross!), the bathtub was dingy and when I turned on the bathtub faucet for the first time orange water came pouring out for the first minute and then it cleared up. The bedspread on one of the doubles was yellow and somewhat dingy. However, with all that said, we only stayed in the room for sleeping purposes so we were able to overlook its imperfections.

After reading the other reviews, I must say the streetcar was not an issue for us. We stayed on the 8th floor and aside from an occasional bell, the noise was not an issue.

The location is great! You cross over Canal and you are in the Quarter! After, a night on Bourbon I was thankful for this short hike to the hotel.

Self Parking was available four blocks away at the Hilton Garden hotel for $16 , but we lucked out the second night and found a space curbside for free! The only other fee was a 9.95/day mandatory fee and tax.

Room Tip: During the day look for parking around the hotel in unmarked areas and avoid the parking fee! Great...
1 Thank L H
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

While the staff was super friendly to my children and kids under eighteen stay free in a parents room, I couldn’t help but notice my children were the youngest people there.  The vibe I received, from the contemporary décor and the lack of a pool, was that the hotel was geared toward adults. I felt this would have been a great place for a “getaway” weekend with my husband.  Although we were two blocks from the French Quarter, I was amazed at how quiet it was in our room.  I don’t know if it was because we were on the 10th floor or because the rooms were well insulated, but very few sounds reached our room, insuring we received rest in a city known for partying all night long.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family