“Nice hotel”

Royal St Charles Hotel
Ranked #65 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The room I was in on the 10th floor was quite small (one of those with a bed and not much space around it) but well appointed, had a coffee maker and nice bathroom amenities. There is no breakfast restaurant but they have a chain coffee place at the lobby (with rather expensive muffins). You can walk in 2 minutes to the entrance to Bourbon Street (or other streets to the French Quarter). I paid something like $95 including tax per night at Kayak, which I think is a really good deal for the location (and I think normally it costs more). Valet parking was something like $35, but you can also self-park for $16 at a garage 2 blocks away (the hotel recommended that one), where you go in and have to leave by 4 pm the next day (respectively re-park, I guess). Not sure about in/out privileges. Or you do what I did if you want to drive around anyhow (Garden District, Mardi Gras World, etc), which is to street park for free after 6 pm (I always found a place around the corner from the hotel), go down before 8 am, pay a few dollars to park until 10 am, and then leave and start your discovery day.

Room Tip: I guess a higher floor is better so you see at least a bit of the city and escape the street noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Apparently you have to be very specific if you don't want a crappy interior storage closet "room"

This is the second stay (and last). First time, had a nice room, decent size, big window with a good view. Second visit, room was so small and dark, we IMMEDIATELY called the front desk and informed them this would not be acceptable and not at all what we paid for. We did get changed to an outside room with a window at least, lovely view of the parking garage roof across the street.

Very noisy room though. Smoke alarm went off at 10am while trying to shower and check-out, it can not be shut off by the guest apparently. It did help motivate our egress to proceed much faster though with it's deafening volume.

We'll be finding somewhere else to stay on future trips.

Room Tip: BE 10,000% SURE TO ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE OUTSIDE!!! Interior rooms are little more than converted s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great hotel the st. Charles line is literally at the hotel's front door. Walk 2 blocks into the French quarter.
Hotel was recently renovated so it is clean and everything is brand new. Staff could not have been nicer.
Highly recommend this hotel. Great price great location.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade if they can do it they will.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Riddle: When is a hotel room with no window and no closet an appealing choice? Answer: When a room with a window is so noisy nobody can sleep! Don't let the "groovy" lobby fool you, this is not a place you want to stay. The staff was rude and indifferent (I had to interrupt his personal phone call to get some attention from the desk clerk). We were given a room with no window and no closet. We were traveling with two other couples who were both exhausted after trying to sleep at this hotel. Their rooms had a window but were so noisy sleep was impossible. We had been traveling a long time, we had a lot of luggage. Our room had no closet and no place to put luggage other than the floor.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had requested a room with a balcony about three months prior to our booking, but got a tiny room with no window. It took a bit of talking with the desk before we were upgraded to a suite. The recent renovation gave the hotel a real kick upward. While you're there ask about the Hobnobber which is just around the corner. It's a hole in the wall with great, great food, friendly service and cheap prices.

Book the St. Charles but demand a balcony when you book it and have your call documentation ready just in case. You will leave with a smile on your face after your stay.

Room Tip: Once again - Do whatever it takes for a balcony when you make your reservations.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jimmccomas
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When I arrived to the property, I was forced to pay more money for the room I pre-booked with a mandatory resort fee. This wouldn't bother me if it was optional but it wasn't.

The person checking me in looked like she would rather be anywhere else than checking me in. When we get to the hotel, it is freezing cold and NO WINDOW. I asked to be changed to a window room but that would have been an extra 15$ per night. She just changed me to a different, less cold room with NO WINDOW. This was really annoying as the weather was changing and rainy, and couldn't look outside to see if I needed an umbrella or what not.

At 4:00 am in the morning, a random guest at the hotel came into our room, and we had to wake up and say that we already have this room. The front desk lady must of forgotten to put in the computer that we changed rooms.

Still worth noting, but not so bothersome, is the decorations are tacky.
Location is good and bed is comfortable are the positives, but I would never come back to this property.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised from the moment I stepped into the property. The lobby is fun and energetic - a true New Orleans vibe. The location is perfect for both business and pleasure travel. I found the coffee shop in the lobby to be a great amenity. My room was a great size and the finishes were beautiful - much nicer than I was expecting from a boutique hotel. The staff was super friendly and really helpful. All-in, a fantastic property and great value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business