Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette French Quarter Area Hotel
Ranked #70 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed here for two nights for work on a weekend in mid-October. I loved it, and honestly have no complaints, and cannot see how any rational person would give this hotel a bad review.

The location is great, one block off canal street, but much quieter than being right on canal. A couple people have commented that it is down an "alley." I wouldn't call it an alley, but a small side street. I am a woman who was travelling alone, and I felt just fine walking to and from the hotel. Granted, I would not have walked there alone at 2 am, but you shouldn't do that anywhere in NOLA.

My room was great, and was a decent size. I don't understand the people who say the rooms are too small. It is historic New Orleans, you aren't going to find massive rooms. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was nice and new. The bathroom was very spacious. I felt very safe in the hotel, and it was nice and quiet. I got a great night's sleep.

I purchased the AAA rate, which included breakfast. The buffet was amazing -- definitely not what you find at most hotel's with a breakfast buffett. Eggs made to order, real grits (not instant), fancy breads, etc, etc. All of the staff was very polite and helpful.

I highly recommend this hotel, and if I ever return to NOLA will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed October 21, 2010

The Pere Marquette was an extraordinary value for the deal I got on Priceline ($60/night in mid-October). Staffers were friendly and professional. Location was terrific for us -- just outside the French Quarter and only a few blocks from Lafayette Square, site of the blues fest we were in town to attend. Bathroom was huge and nicely appointed, although I did learn I don't want a rainfall-type shower head (it worked fine, but I like a stronger waterflow). The only problem I had was in trying to communicate with the housekeeper that I didn't want fresh linens -- just the bed made up. I ended up with no bottom sheet atop the mattress topper due to the language misunderstanding. (The hotel lacked cards to put on the beds to request no fresh linens.) The room was nicely decorated in a clean, modern style but it could have used a comfy chair or two (space was certainly available) -- the only non-bed seat was a desk chair. Valet parking was pricey at $29/night, but convenient and not a whole lot higher than garages a block or two away -- and I was willing to pay for the convenience. Bellmen and concierges were terrific, as was the front desk personnel. Despite my nit-picking (and they were only nits -- certainly nothing major), I'd happily recommend the Pere Marquette to anyone looking for a great place to stay in New Orleans!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This hotel was very nice. The lobby is great however there are many flaws... #1 is they consider themselves to be a four star hotel charging $199-219 a night when you cant even get complimenty breaskfast for this price #2 there should be free wi-fi access in all the rooms.. .When I think of four star I think of majority of everything included. #3 they charge $50 a day for incidentals now that is outrageous.

Me and my bf lucked up because the front desk staff added in breakfast for free (I recommend asking ;) ) & she didnt take my card for incidentals

GOOD PART---- its very close to Canal and Bourbon Street in only a few blocks away from all the great souvenir shops and great restaurants! Near Cvs and Walgreens on Canal which was also a plus... The beds were so comfy when we were not out on Bourbon street we relaxed in the room!

I would only come back if I got the great rate again on Priceline otherwise there are so many other great hotels in close proximity

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Upon arrival the staff was very friendly and helpful. They put us in a small room with an akward bulkhead so my hubby had to swoop to not bump his head. They immediately move us to another room. Most of the rooms are small, but they whole hotel has been completely remodeled and is now very upscale and modern. The gym was great and the hotel location was excellent. Walking distance to the Quater, but quiet enough to relax. The parking was expensive, though.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Husband and I are frequent travelers to New Orleans, and more often than not we book our rooms on Priceline. A recent stay was no exception to that, and we got a great rate on a room at the Renaissance Pere Marquette which was a new hotel for us. If we had to pay full price though, I doubt I would be as pleased.
Positives: Lobby is modern, clean, and impressive; free wireless in the lobby; nice gym (although very crowded in the a.m., probably because this hotel seems to cater to the business traveler/conference attendees); Quiet; Conveniently located; Friendly employees and great service; Coffee available in room; Aveda products; Clean rooms; Laundry facilities in the gym.
Negatives: Rooms and hallways in obvious need of updating/repair (torn carpets, wallpaper, old tv, etc.), although the room was clean; Hot water hit or miss, seemed to be plentiful in the morning but not in the afternoons/early evenings when lukewarm was as hot as it would get.

Overall, it was a nice stay, and I would not hesitate to stay here again, IF the price is right.

On a side note, the restaurant, MiLa, is excellent. They have a 3 course lunch special for $20 (many NOLA restaurants have wonderful lunch specials).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We really enjoyed this hotel. The room was pretty small, but we really didn't spend much time in the room, so that was okay. The amenities were nice and the atmosphere as well. We got the hotel through priceline so it was really cheap too. It turned out to be a really great location, pretty much just a block or so back from Canal St. at Bourbon/Carondolet. The best part was it was so close, but far enough away that we were able to sleep without hearing a peep of the craziness going on just a few streets away. Many people were complaining about quality of sleep who stayed right in the French Quarter, so we were happy to have stayed here.

Downsides: No continental breakfast, internet costs $13/day and is only hard-wired, no wireless in the rooms, small room

Overall, a very good pick for a trip to NOLA!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

First impressions of this boutique type hotel were not good: street looks like an alley with construction& lots of abandoned buildings,no doorman, juggling bags through manual doors with no help in sight, inadequate number of staff to check-in in a reasonable time, tiny check in area, small elevator, weak shower, very plain cheap furnishings in room, old fashioned ( not flat panel HD) TV, no Wi-Fi in rooms , coffee maker located far away from any place to plug it in, bathroom door which slammed shut, etc.
But then the place kind of grew on us: Location was close to everything, these types of streets and abandoned buildings are common and part of charm of New Orleans, if cab had dropped us off in motor lobby ( instead of at street entrance) there were fine automatic doors (note: be sure & have cab drop you off a motor lobby/parking entrance if you have bags), the lounge area leading to check in area was quite nice, what staff there was tried hard & was knowledgeable, some elevators were normal size & elevators usually came fairly quickly, when asked staff quickly fixed shower ( clogged strainer in shower head assembly…..be sure to check shower when you arrive & ask them to fix if it is poor) and bathroom door, TV reception & picture were good (though we did miss AMC channel), hard line internet service was fine & free to elite guests, coffee maker was on tray & ,while inconvenient , we did find a place to plug it in (electric outlets were, in general, poorly placed and there were not enough of them near desk), bed was quite comfortable ( we slept very well), maid service was prompt & quite good, room was not huge but big enough and concierge lounge, while smallish , was quite good(eggs & bacon plus usual continental breakfast stuff in AM, a hot dish & fresh baked cookies in evening) - and ladies staffing it were excellent

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business