“Don't stay here if you value your life”

Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette French Quarter Area Hotel
Ranked #70 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Don't stay here -

The hotel is ONE block away from the homeless shelter. Hubby went out at 9:00 a.m. on August 12th, 2005, and was mugged by 3 homeless men, they demanded money, hubby gave them all he had - hubby was lucky he left with his life.

When told the General Manager what happened - - - He said - "they won't hurt you - I'm from New York, and am used to homeless people - it's no big deal".

This hotel tells you they are "2 blocks away from burboun street" which they are. . . . the wrong two blocks - they are on the WRONG side of Canal Street -

Air Condiditoning did not work in the room - did not fix - was told that this is the best it gets.

Had coupons to eat for breakfast as part of our package, was told by front desk that kids age 10 and under eat free - - - -not - they tried to bill my room $40.00 for a bowl of oatmeal for my daughter, and an order of kiddie size french toast for my son. . . .

No king Size rooms at all have bathtubs, showers only - after being told that there were bathtubs - NOT.

The Pool is tiny, plus there are 1 1/2 flights of stairs to climb to get to it. . . father who walks with the assistance of a cane was told that there was an elevator, so he didn't have to climb stairs - . . . . NOT - it was broken - and was being used as a broom closet. Elevator obvioulsy has been broken for quite some time.

Was told I could use $100.00 Renaissance/Marriott Bonus Bucks at their facility - NOT - they would not accept them.

We checked out after one horrible night at this location. If you value your life - don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank DeeThom

Reviewed July 19, 2005

We spent the first night of our honeymoon at the Pere Marquette and really did not want to leave.

We were too tired to go out on the town, but shortly after we checked in, our 'personal server' Tamika called up to say she had something special for us... she arrived with a beautiful bottle of champagne and a tray of fruit, brie, and crackers. The service was so friendly and attentive, we really felt special.

The bed was very luxurious and comfortable.

We were also upgraded to a room on the top floor.

The lobby and the room were both very nice, modern and stylish. The room wasn't huge, but it did not feel cramped in any way. The bathroom was also very nice - the lack of a bathtub (just a shower stall) was not a problem as we never use hotel tubs anyway.

All of this was of course sweetened by the priceline price we paid - but when we saw what the full price was, we would gladly have paid that or more!

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank sandy_riblet
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I stay in hotels an average of 120 night per year and most hotel experiences run together unless they are terrible or in this case exceptional. As a platinum Marriott member, I decided to stay here because it was close to the french quarter and I like the perks. Little did I know that this was the Ebony Magazine music festival. This town was packed with people and the staff at the Pere Marquette handled it without so much as a frown. The staff was so helpful and friendly, you felt like they couldn't do enough. The wonderful women in the conciege lounge were the most personable that I've met anywhere. The rooms were very comfortable as I would expect in a Renaissance, but it was the people that made it memorable. Kudo's to management and staff!

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank rbtpat
Reviewed July 4, 2005

The hotel is conveniently located (you can walk most anywhere). On check in we were offered apples. The staff were great. My sister and I took our 68 year old mother to New Orleans. The bellman serenaded us after unloading our luggage and showing us around the room. He stayed (and smiled) while my mother played twenty questions. He sang "You are the Sunshine of my life" when got us settled in but I'm sure he was singing "Amazing Grace" on his way down.

We were given suggestions on which tours to take and where to eat. The rooms were clean and classy. The service was super. The parking was pricey. It was $25.00 per night to park your car in the hotel parking lot.

8  Thank cherif2015
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 17, 2005

We stayed at the Renaissance Pere Marquette during June 2005. We paid $85/night via priceline.com.

This is a great hotel. Everyone was extremely friendly, helpful during check-in, etc. Anytime you passed a maid, bellboy, etc anywhere in the hotel, it was always, "HI, how are you? How's your stay so far? etc" The staff was excellent.

Overall, the hotel is very nice, done up in a modern style. The lobby is super air-conditioned, you'll appreciate this in muggy NOLA. The lobby is big, plush chairs. The overall hotel was kept CLEAN, including the lobby, the hallways, the rooms, etc.

The rooms themselves are smallish, with one table and a Herman Miller chair, one king-sized bed (in our case), and a small bench at the edge of the bed. The bathrooms are spacious, but only have a shower, and no bath-tub, jacuzzi, etc. There is a safe in the room that is large enough to accomodate a laptop --- which is very nice, and got its use while we were there. There's a closet with plenty of hangers, and free robes for your use(we didn't use them)

Overall the rooms are modern, up to date, very clean, etc. The maid always had the room cleaned from the time we left, 'til the time got back. We often slept in, and so we might leave at 11am, and be back within a couple hours. A lot of hotels don't pay attention to your schedule, or bang on the door at 9am or 10am. The cleaning staff was very attentive.

The room size is quite acceptable at the price we paid. I would have been upset had I paid more than $200/night and got this room. I still think this hotel would be a bargain at twice the price, however. The in-room adjustable air-conditioner worked great, which is sometimes shaky in hotels in warm areas. There is in-room high speed internet access ($10 extra per night), but we didn't need it. My laptop picked up a free dhcp-providing wireless internet access from somewhere --- not sure if it was the hotel's or a neighboring business in the tall office building next door.

The pool, btw, is small and only 3.6ft deep. There are perhaps only 8 chairs around the pool, but we had no problem getting in and out of the pool. The free health club/gym that was there had enough equipment including treadmills, weights, etc.

The location is just outside of the French Quarter, one block west of Canal St, and one block North of Bourbon street. Definitely far enough from the noise/commotion, and not a bad walk to the French Quarter. Crossing Canal can sort of be a pain in the butt, but there are 'walk' lights for pedestrians. The St. Charles streetcar stops right at the edge of the hotel's street (Common Street), and provides easy access to various parts of New Orleans including Garden District, Riverfront, etc etc. The location is good.

I saw some negative reviews of the hotel listed here, and I wonder if they even stayed at the same hotel as we did. We won this hotel via Priceline, and wondered what we had got ourselves into. When we arrived, everything was perfect.

I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. And couldn't have asked for anything more at the price-point we paid.....

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Just got home from another tremendous trip in NO. The hotel was very nice with a boutique feel to it. The rooms are definitely small but the bathrooms were very roomy. The pool is more of the size of a jacuzzi but enjoyable enough to just cool off from the humidity. By the way who goes to New Orleans and spends a lot of time in the hotel anyway. Check for deals if you are AAA members. We paid half the price. The staff at the front desk was tremendous. When they found out that it was my B-party weekend they sent up some champagne to the room. However do not expect to get room service until late in the afternoon. The hotel was exactly what we were looking for. We were able to get to Bourbon St. within a 5 minute walk. It gave us the ability to enjoy the partying but when we wanted to go back to our hotel at 4:00 AM we did not have to deal with the SMELL and noise of the clean up on Bourbon st. Anyone who has been to New Orleans knows exactly what I am writing about. Make sure you hit Ricks, the best of the bunch. Do not waste time with the other clubs. Cafe Dumond for Beignets. Jacque-I-mos for aligator cheesecake and Commanders Palace for the Bread Pudding. As for the partying, if you can't find it here do not even bother to head to the Big Easy.

6  Thank DrDoolittle
Reviewed June 7, 2005

Over Memorial Day weekend, I had the pleasure of staying at the Pere Marquette. The rooms were plenty big, it was mod and chic, everything was very clean; and the staff was so friendly! Location was great - a couple blocks from Bourbon St. We ate breakfast in the hotel twice and it was just fine - standard fare. The rooftop pool was small, but room enough for a good number of people to sit around and enjoy a little oasis in the city. As far as value goes, we booked through hotels.com for about $120/ night. I thought it was pretty reasonable considering I spent the weekend in Manhattan recently and paid triple that for the same type of boutique like hotel with a much smaller room. I would recomend the Pere Marquette to my friends and family.

6  Thank goingonvaca