“Five day stay at the Pere Marquette”

Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette French Quarter Area Hotel
Ranked #65 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
New Hampshire
“Five day stay at the Pere Marquette”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from New Orleans. I stayed at the Renaissance Pere Marquette on Common St, a block in from Canal which borders the French Quarter.

The Good:

The location was excellent; near to the Quarter but far enough away from the craziness of Bourbon St. I didn't have a car so the access to the three street car lines on Canal St. was perfect. The center of the French Quarter was about a fifteen minute walk.

I had a room with a King bed on the 15th floor. Oddly, the bed was a Murphy bed. It was comfortable but a little low to the floor. The room itself was large enough, clean and enirely workable for a 4 night stay.

The bathroom was medium-sized but clean. Again, no complaints.

The fitness center was small but I had no problem finding a treadmill on the three visits that I made. The set up was basic. No locker room, a single shower in the bathroom. I would dress in my room and take the elevator down and then return to the room for a shower. Again, serviceable but not more than that.

The lobby features a bar, and a Starbucks. Otherwise, pretty spartan.

The 'needs improvement' section:

The front desk was manned by a single person which meant that any transaction usually meant waiting in line. I thought this was a little strange for a hotel with 19 floors and about 200 rooms. The staff was courteous if not out-going.

The L-shaped lobby seemed generally pretty dead. Many places to sit but it was not a particularly inviting place. The Starbucks had two slow computers and free WiFi. In-room Internet service was available for $13 a day. It puzzles me that I can have free WiFi access on the subway but not in the room of a 4 star hotel. Kind of like the 'bag fees' that airlines have invented.

The furnishings in the room were sub-standard. The bureau was two drawers under the small TV. The round table (two basic chairs) had a top that was peeling exposing the plywood underneath. There was no good reading light by the bed.

I did not use the pay per view as somewhat current movies could be rented for $18.

My last experience at the Pere Marquette was, unfortunately, the worst experience. I had a later flight so I checked my bag at the front desk before the noon checkout. When I returned to get my bag, it took 20 minutes for the bellman and the staff member to get my bag. I had a plane to catch, had allowed extra time but still did not need this kind of needless delay.The problem, I think, is that the hotel is generally under-staffed.

Summary:

To be fair, the Pere Marquette provided a comfortable, clean room that served its purpose as a place to stay in NOLA. I slept well and the water pressure in the shower was good. But the hotel didn't offer much more than this. I booked my room on Priceline and was paying well less than half of the rate being charged at the front desk. I would rate the hotel as adequate because other than providing the basic room and the location, the Pere Marquette seemed to have forgotten that a 4 star hotel should offer more than a basic experience. I think that even with Priceline rates, there are better places to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank JKiteNewHampshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Hoover
Reviewed July 24, 2013

-New Orleans should be nice but I got taken on the Hotel-$90 deal for nice place Renaissance but-ADD $38 plus tips for parking--no self parking allowed and must use a porter--another $5.00TIP I can carry a bag--but not his fault hotel rules--"free internet advertised"--- "but" only in Lobby not in room so $13.00 a day (had to pay as I want to relax in my room) and they are shooting a Movie Heist remake of Steve McQueen one and the street is closed with access to Hotel only after 8:00PM so once I leave coming back I will have to argue with police again and do what I did when checking in go wrong way on one-way street-I spent 1 1/2 hours within a block of reaching the hotel trying to get in--and while I am venting pool picture looked nice--- 3ft. 1inch deep --Crawl 3 1/2 approx. strokes one end to another backstroke exactly 4--definitely unable to do a racing turn without scraping the bottom. AKA---- A wading pool.

PS no hot tub, sauna, ---shower in workout room is in SINGLE CO-ED bathroom so enjoy the the odors of the previous throne sitter while showering after working out

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank foodmarc15
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel and it was WONDERFUL. The staff goes above and beyond to provide service. They always had a smile on their face, welcomed you, and asked how things were going. We had a king size bed and it was big and CLEAN! This hotel is in the Downtown District but it was just about a block away from the French Quarter and the street car lines. It was well priced and great value.
The reason it did not get 5 stars in my eyes is because the "roof top pool" was a very very small 3 foot deep pool on the 3rd floor. It was outside but the website was misleading as they advertise 19 floors with a roof top pool...
Also they were amazingly friendly but seemed to recommend typical touristy restaurants and places to go. The restaurants all were on or close to Bourbon and while they were generally really delicious it would have been fun to try some more local flavor.

Overall a wonderful experience!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We selected the Pere Marquette based on price during a visit to New Orleans. It was a bit hard to find due to construction in the area, but once found, it was worth it. Our room was large and very comfortable. The location of the hotel was within walking distance of most attractions in the Quarter. Taxi cabs were easily obtained or for a more enjoyable ride, a pedi-cab. The staff could not do enough for us it seemed. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is beautiful overall. The rooms seem to be a bit small, but are very nice. Great location. No concierge on duty during my stay. The other employees weren't knowledgable of their city! Girl with long brown hair at the front desk was VERY rude! Too bad I failed to get her name.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mini_B73
Reviewed July 15, 2013

For the most part, I enjoyed my stay at the Pere Marquette. The valet parking and check-in staff were very friendly and welcoming (Reglio with the valet parking, in particular). I liked the decor in the lobby area and hallways, as well as the bathroom in my room. If you are planning to spend a lot of time on Bourbon Street, the location is ideal...it is a block off Canal and opposite to Bourbon Street, so you have the convenience of being close without dealing with the noise.

The hotel did have a few negatives though. Though the beds were comfortable and the bathroom laid out well, the decor in my room looked in need of updating. The fitness room was disappointing...equipment was limited to a few cardio machines and some dumbbells, no weight machines. A a Marriott platinum elite member, we were to receive free weekend breakfast, but found that this was limited to a platter of fruit and pastries...hot menu items were extra. I've stayed at other Marriott properties in N.O., such as the New Orleans Arts and the Marriott on Canal, and overall prefer the decor and style of those properties to the Pere Marquette. But I would be willing to return to the Pere Marquette if the room rate were lower than these other options.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is a real charmer. Renaissance has taken this hotel and done luxury upgrades while keeping it an older New Orleans hotel on the exterior The corner room was the size of an avarge New York hotel room (275 sq. ft.), large bathroom, completely renovated in true Renaissance Hotel style. The valet parking was efficient as well. This hotel is only two blocks from Canal St. If you are loyal to the Marriott brand, I would choose this over the massive JW or New Orleans Marriott. I prefer this luxury boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing Canal St