“Don't believe the pictures or hype”
Review of Olde Town Inn

Olde Town Inn
Ranked #96 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
deShazo
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My fiance and I went to New Orleans two days before the 4th of July before meeting my parents in Fairhope, Alabama for the weekend.

After talking to the manager on the phone I was told we would be in the 'honeymoon suite' with a large jacuzzi tub for two and a beautiful room. Well, when we go there we saw a tub hardely fit for two and a room with dirty carpet, suspicious bed sheets, and noisy surroundings. I must say, we decided to minimize our resting time in order to decrease the exposure to our shady sheets. If you have to stay here and can't get out of it, bring your own linens, it will make for a more sanitary experience.

I would like to add, if you're the "traditional honeymooner" you might find this is not your kind of hotel. In other words, this hotel is more suited for those swingers with a more alternative point of view...I hope I did not offend anyone, but I think most will get the point, this is a gay joint!

I lived in New Orleans for ten years and never heard of this place. I guess I should have known this was not going to be a stellar boarding facility, but I tried.

In contrast, I will say our second half of the weekend in Fairhope Alabama was wonderful. We stayed at the Grand Hotel in a beautiful room with clean sheets and a view of Mobile bay from our room-for the same price as the OLD TOWN DUMP!

DO NOT GO HERE...WHATEVER YOU DO...IT IS BETTER TO NOT GO TO N.O. AT ALL THAN TO STAY HERE

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Vancouver, BC.
Reviewed February 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel three years ago. Although not a recent stay, I wanted to express our opinion, since some of the reviews on this site do not at all reflect our experience:

-Very close to French Quarter (far enough away to feel safe / those that have been in the FQ know what I mean)
-No shared bathroom (?)
-Very Friendly service
-Beautiful courtyard
-Very old south atmosphere

Good luck with your choice.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 3, 2005

You might notice there is no mention of shared restrooms on the website but when you arrive you will find a restroom worse than any Europen hostle I have come across. The rooms were in horrible shape full of old musty furniture not cute antiques. The walls were paper thin and when we decided not to stay there they charged us for our entire reservation anyway. Later on we called to talk to the owner and he was irate screaming and not making any sense on the phone. Do not stay here!

6  Thank sleepypuff
DFW, TX
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We made advance reservations online for Christmas Eve; there were five of us. Weather was rotten cold and when I asked manager about heat, upon check-in, he provided a couple of space heaters for about 800 sq. feet of space. Space heaters!? Asked to look at the room. Space heaters had been on, but still very cold in room. Asked manager for a refund....said no that room was fine and would be warm enough after adding more space heaters. Came back later and found out heaters blew the breakers so room was still cold, confronted manager again. Still would not refund money. This guy was no help.

This is an inner-city, OLD TOWN location, not that convenient to the French Quarter, and not maintained very well at all. Carpet was filthy. Floor had weak spots. Also,watch that last step coming down; difference in stair rise makes this a hazardous journey!! Found an old cup of coffee inside microwave, stuck to the bottom; didn't use microwave. Shower head fell off the wall, and when maintenance was called, he used packing tape and taped it back up; so high-up in fact, one would have to be seven-feet tall to use it; we didn't take showers, either. We were tired, and it was Xmas eve....we came, we slept, and we got the heck out.

What do we pay hotels for, anyway? A clean, comfortable, room with serviceable facilities. It didn't happen!! I'd be surprised if this place meets "code"; hardly deserves to be called a Inn; more like a flop house for French Quarter drunks....either way, you're only one step away from gutter!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 27, 2004

What a delightful hotel! You know you're in New Orleans with the antiques, the courtyard, and just listening to the friendly staff talk. Our room was very clean and their patio and courtyard are WONDERFUL! The French Quarter is a short walk through a really cool neighborhood, but we only walked it once because the $4.50 for a taxi meant we had more energy to do and see more. Anybody going to old New Orleans should experience this charming little hotel - you'll love it!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2004

BEWARE! THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR YOUR ENTIRE RESERVATION EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT EARLY!!!! The place was horrible and we could not stay another night (see reasons below) and checked out the next day but was told I had to pay for the entire 5 days I booked the room!
I booked the reservation over the phone after reviewing about the hotel online. We arrived late on a Sunday night and was too tired to notice that the place is in a bad neighborhood, there was actually a hooker on the block. You have to drive your vehicel into a courtyard that is locked and the courtyard leading to the street is supposed to be locked but upon returning at lunch the next day the gate was not locked. There was no heat in the room and the temperature dropped below 50 degrees, it is an old building (1880's from what the website says) and it is drafty. Someone played music all night lound enough for me to hear the words of the song (It sounded like it was in my room!). And we were in a downstairs room and everytime someone walked across the floor in the room above it sounded like a herd of elephants were staying up there!
In the morning we realized that the room had dirt in practically every corner. From the add I expected a coffee pot in the room, a hair dryer (didn't bring mine), and Internet Connection (Business Center was advertized) none of these things were there. And the TV did not even have a remote!
After getting only 3 hours of interrupted sleep through the night and it was too cold to take a shower the next morning we decided we had to check out and they were very ugly about it and charged us for the entire week! We will fight these charges!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 23, 2004

I stay here every year. Rooms are filled with antique furniture and always clean. The morning coffee and danish on the porch is a great way to
Meet others. Right on the edge of the Quarter in a quite neighborhood so after an evening in the quarter you can go back to the hotel and enjoy the southern night. It is a very short walk to the heart of everything New Orleans. The owners are great people and know the city very well and can help you find anything. It is a fun inexpensive place to stay. I am heading there in the morning.

3  Thank JMayo60506