“Where did Good Old Fashioned Customer Service GO?”
Review of Olde Town Inn

Olde Town Inn
Ranked #66 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Where did Good Old Fashioned Customer Service GO?”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

After reading the reviews - we decided to take a chance - so I will call it like it happened.

A month ago I called and taked with a nice lady - who gave me some helpful tips - so We decided to stay there. It was a great price but its the off season - thats why we travel now.

We we arrived - I was entering the establishment and the clerk asked, "are you coming in".
I said, yes. She said, "I guess I will take the trash out later".
SORRY TO BE GIVING YOU BUSINESS!

When the bill came - I noticed that the pet fee was 50% higher than I was told on the phone - Small chance (very small that I was wrong) - When I asked - she did accomodate the rate but made me feel like I was a cheater and a liar!

The room had a historic inn feel - it was older and that was no problem. The room was in its price range.

Day 2 - Broken Hot water heater - Here was a chance to turn around my experience. After a long day of walking - I was going to take a shower and also needed hot water for a sore gum. NO HOT WATER. I called - no answer. I went to office. The lady said -its probably a pilot and she will relight and call me. An hour goes by - no call!

I called - she said maintence was on they way and that we would probably be out of hot water for the night. She could move us (but we were so tired) or give us a key to another room to shower. I said we could wait til the am, but wanted a cup of hot water for my tooth. She said she would start some in the courtyard breakfast area. I said thank you - I tried to do that but couldnt figure it out. - I wait 15 minutes - go back - no hot water. I make it myself. We had NO COMMUNICATION ON THE STATUS OF THE HOT WATER - so we could make a decision as to shower in another room or wait!

The next am - still no hot water and its chilly out - A big sign on the wall says something like - "Check out is 11 - anyone in the room past this time will result in extra nights stay charge".

We pack and get ready to continue our trip - as we didnt want to move room to room to shower. As I check out - another lady was there - she seemed nicer - I think was the 1st person that I spoke with -

I was polite - and did the check out thing - there was no question on how was our stay - nothing - so i mentioned - the hot water - she said -- I heard and its fixed now! -

They DID NOT call - tell us anything - like it will be fixed at ___, its fixed now, you stay stay a little later to shower, do you want a key to shower _ NOTHING TO ASSIST US!!??

and guess what --

NOT SO MUCH AS A SMALL APOLOGY!

Room Tip: close to bourbon street and french quarter (15 minute walk or cheap cab) - just beaware they do help...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tommy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Winnfield
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This was my family's first trip together to New Orleans. Staying at the Olde Town Inn was a great way to make our trip the best. The room was cute and quaint. It had everything that you needed in the room. My favorite part of the whole thing was breakfast out on the patio. Even though we were there durring December the patio dinning was great, they had a heater on the patio so that you could enjoy breakfast out there. Our next trip we will be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is the type of place that heralds back to a simpler time in New Orleans. This place is a simple yet lovely hotel with a beautiful courtyard and convenient location to Frenchmen Street where the real music in town is.

It is romantic.
It is simple.
It is beautiful.
It won't break your wallet.
Nuff said

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShaggyDaNomad
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I loved the Olde Town Inn. I was afraid it was going to be rough due to the extremely low price. i have paid much more for way less. Ginger was a hoot and very helpful. The breakfast was what you would expect @ a B&B. though i must say whoever makes the coffee needs a lesson in how to make it taste like coffee.
We were in mini-suite 16. I never heard noise from revelers coming home.. but we were out pretty late most nights and up fairly early the next morning. the patio is charming and we got great pics.
the mini-suite wasn't large, but I am used to that having stayed in the Quarter and off Frenchmens in other Historic buildings. Having the extra bedroom was just perfect for our needs.
We walked to the Festival on the River and the Quarter every day ( it is a long walk, so if you don't like to walk, take a cab) and we walked to Frenchmens street at night. We felt perfectly safe. We got there early and got street parking but they do have secured parking for a low fee ( low for New Orleans).
Our room was clean and I did not hear anything from other rooms. The staff was friendly without being obtrusive

Like other reviewers have said. If you want the Waldorf go elsewhere. But if you want clean and friendly Historic Charm for a good price, I would choose The Olde Town Inn

Room Tip: we liked the mini suite for 2 people
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Look, if I stayed in this hotel in Cedar Rapids I'd probably call it Grandma's place. Old accommodations, dated plumbing, uneven floors, thin walls, and an attitude that was more "take care of it yourself", rather than" how may I help you". So, if you are looking for the Waldorf or will freak out at the prospect of peaking your head out the door at 3 am and telling the folks down the hall to " Hold it down" because they just got back from the french quarter and are having a good time, then pause and reconsider.

BUT, if you do have a grandma who lives in an old house and would stay with her, if you grew up in a family or lived in a dorm and can politely say, hold it down, I gotta catch a plane in the morning, if you want to be close to the action but not in the fray, and if you like folks that are helpful but not obsequious, then this is a pretty good place.

Rooms are comfortable, like your grandma's spare bedroom that your uncle Bill left when he married the divorcee from Fort Madison. The bed sags a little in the middle because uncle Bill was a big man. The bathroom has plumbing that requires thought and preparation because the pressure is low and the paper is thin. It was "green" before "green" was cool. Don't worry about wasting water and don't use too much soap.

Other than that, if you are in your room you are missing all the great things about the Old Town Inn anyway. The courtyard and environs are truly special. You expect Marlon Brando, in a wife beater shirt, to be standing on the bricks looking up to the balcony shouting "Sella, Stella!" Something you may actually hear- but be comforted, because when it happened to me, I simply said "knock it off" and he did.There is a very passable toaster and oatmeal/grits breakfast, a great grill to cook your own food if you decide not to take advantage of the excellent restaurants and delivery available with in a short walk; and of course, the entire City of New Orleans which is why you are staying at 'grandma's house' in the first place.

So, don't be afraid of the reviews. They are all pretty accurate, just a reflection of the guests expectations. This is not four star. This is not modern accommodations. This is Old Towne. This is New Orleans. It's yellow not beige. If you like beige better than yellow, don't stay here, you won't like it. BUT, if your Grandma dyed her hair, either blue or red, I'm betting you'd really like this place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank Tacobender
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 19, 2011

This b&b is VERY CLOSE to the French Quarters which is excellent! My husband and I came down for a long 9 day vacation! Ginger was awesome and offered us lots of help. We were offered suite 30 and for us for a 9 day vacation it was a little small so truly it is small and spending 9 days in it with all of our luggage and shopping would have had us cramped. However we planned this as a relaxation getaway and planned on spending some days in the room and needed the extra space. I thought the price was a little high after seeing the room but if u r comparing the price to the location you can't get a better price next to the French Quarters! If you plan on spending lots of time touring the day and night life, this is the place for you. If you are planning on relaxing you may want to book the family suite which I heard wS a lot larger but was unavailable for us for our entire stay so we ended up at the LaQuinta in Metairie. The refund from Olde Towne Inn was easy and painless and I love these Mn Natives!!!!! Overall great place!

• Stayed March 2011
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 14, 2011

This was the worst hotel/B&B I have EVER stayed in. It was awful. I am from New Orleans. I live in California now and brought friends from California to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I was so embarrassed and mortified. I've stayed in "vintage" hotels/B&B's but , mold, water dirty and cramped hotels.... this was the first and last. I took a chance with this place. DON'T make the same mistake I did. I feel really sad about this but I would hate for someone to be taken off guard like I was.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends