“Didnt feel safe and didnt want to touch anything”

Motel 6 New Orleans - near downtown
Ranked #146 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Didnt feel safe and didnt want to touch anything”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is in a bad area, far from city and no other hotels around. There seemed to be hookers hanging around and service was very poor. The host didnt even answer my question just stared at me and waited till a found out myself. I asked if I needed a key to go through the lobby to the rooms since I had locked myself out with my husband in the room waiting. The bed was uncomfortable and very old, sheets felt used and other guests didnt make us feel any safer. But if you dont want to spend any more than necessary, this hotel might go.

Room Tip: Check for bugs and bring some desinfection wipes
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank purnukka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A group of 4 girls (all under 30) chose this hotel for it's cheap price and somewhat close vicinity to the French Quarter. We were slightly taken aback when we had to check in through a glass window. The lobby closes from 7pm - 6am everyday. That's almost half of every single day that guests are not allowed into the lobby, not even from inside the actual hotel itself. It kind of made us worried about our own safety when the staff appeared to be so closed off from potential danger! There is a night security guard, so that helped a little. There are absolutely NO amenities besides a bar of soap and some plastic cups. There's not even a clock in the room! I've stayed in close to hundreds of hotels in my life and I've never had to pay the full price up front. So, we weren't able to split the bill between 4 of us (like I was hoping to do at check out). I don't mind cheap hotels, but this was the cheapest, sketchiest, sleaziest hotel I've ever encountered.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Smithma2

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Tyler, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I arrived a day early for a high school reunion last week-end and the fancy-schmancy hotel we reserved for the week-end on St. Ann Street in the French Quarter was booked up for that night so we had to find something close by for the night. My wife found the Motel 6 on the Internet so we looked at the reviews and they sounded pretty darn good!

When we drove into the parking lot we noticed the parking area was gated and the entrances to the rooms were on the inside like a hotel, instead of opening outside like most motels. One needs a scan key to enter the building if not entering through the lobby. The room was spacious, just like one reviewer said. It looks like the building used to be a hotel bought out by the Motel 6 chain, I don't know.

The restroom was roomy, too, bigger than the one we had at the pricier Place d'Arms the next two days. The towels have seen better days, though, but they still dried!

The room had a desk and the Wifi signal was strong. The air conditioner was plenty cold like I like, much to my wife's dismay!

It's only an eleven minute drive to the French Quarter from there. If you're thinking about sightseeing the French Quarter area and want a nice room for a great price, this is the place. You'll feel very secure in your room and there are plenty of fast food places nearby if you need a quick meal. There's even a Subway right in front of the motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PigFox C
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

No amenites...no courtesy...very sketchy neighborhood. Charged extra for two guests vs only one even though there were ZERO amenties...One tiny set of towels and one bar of soap was all we got...even though we paid extra for "double occupancy". Hallways smelled terrible and were hot and dirty. Had to check in via a glass window on the outside rather than being let into the lobby. I don't expect much when it comes to economy hotels but they should at least have the basics covered...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shea H
Texas
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here for a night to attend a court hearing. New Orleans isn't a cheap place to find accomodations, and this is probably one of the most reasonable. The room was clean and had internet access. I had been told that it suffered severe damage in the hurricane, and had beed renovated. There was no coffee maker in the room, but there was a coffee pot in the lobby, where I drank the weakest cup of Joe that I have ever had in my life. Basically, it was fairly clean, but a bit Spartan, not a great place to stay, but OK. Check in was a bit tedious.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere out in Metaire!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New Orleans
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stay at Motel 6 alot. They are dirt cheap without the dirt. They normally let children stay free. This means if there is one adult and children, you get a room with two beds at no additional fee. But this one suprised me last week by charging for two beds. Motel 6 doesn't normally charge by the bed, but by how many adults are in the room. I guess this one is independantly owned so they can do this. And they did it without offering any explaination. You would think if you are going to have a very different policy than the rest of the motels in your chain have you would at least kindly explain this to the guest instead of going about buisness like nothing strange is occuring. Also they way they vary from the Motel 6 norm is having check out time at 11 instead of 12. Of course when a customer is suprised they act like everything is normal, like they don't see what the big deal is when like 1000 Motel 6's do things one certain way and they decide to make some changes for the worse. So if your a faithful Motel 6 customer, steer clear of this one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Janet M
Coushatta, Louisiana
Reviewed February 6, 2012

had family emergency and conceling reservation was last thing on our minds.when we tried to explain why we did not cancel,they charged us any way.when your faced with your mother having emergency surgery,you don't think about any thing else.to me they are selfish and uncarring people.we made it the second night of our reservation to find a dirty stained floor that did not look to have been vaccumed in quiet a while.around the tolet was dirty and had someones hair left from who knows when.linens where clean except for one pillow case that looked like a rodant had used the bathroom on it.they do not have coffee pots in the room.its in a bad neighborhood.i will not stay at any motel 6 again.i will try and find a motel that has owners that care about people.

Room Tip: aviod this motel period
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family